You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Car Insurance

VladimirIlyich

It is grim, this car and insurance will skint me proper. Going to make Cris having a child look cheap compared to this Fiesta.

Earliest I can drive it will be next week about Wednesday, then I am getting bent over by the Churchill dog and fucking bummed for insurance. It is still not 100% mine yet.

Because dealing with it privately means greater expense than £20-odd up front, takes longer, and the "no win no fee" aspect is usually about personal injuries not vehicle damage. Unless a case is clear-cut, it usually gets settled on a "50-50" basis (so called even if the percentage liability accepted is skewed), or knock for knock. Some solicitors will class anything less than 50% liability as a "win" situation.

Of course, if you could accurately predict the future and knew you'd never be involved in anything rat all, then of course you would de-select it every time. In fact, you'd only pay a premium for the minimum legal requirement to keep your vehicle on the road and forget all the other bumpf.

Most solicitors who deal legal expenses insurance work can also deal with no win no fee agreement work subject to an injury ( seeing that there are not many people who do not believe they have suffered an injury) on the same terms. Just avoid high street firms.

Legal expenses insurance is the biggest con in the motor insurance market. Most people believe it gives you a free for all where you dont think you at fault which isnt the case.

Going to go with Admiral, is it worth phoning around or are the online quotations as good as they get?

Admiral through Quidco is far cheap than going direct to Admiral.

I got a quote for an Audi R8 yesterday and Admiral was the cheapest. Just a shame there's no way I could afford the servicing.

• 5 months later...
Does underestimate your annual mileage invalidate your insurance does anyone know? If I put my proper mileage in now my insurance goes up by two tonne. Will the cunts go rooting for how many miles I've done if someone makes a claim or what?

You'd have to check your policy booklet. Insurers don't generally check for stuff like this, but the underwriters will weight the ratings to take account of things like occupation or where you live. Your occupation might be one that normally involves a fair bit of driving (travelling salesman for example), and as you'll have answered questions on the number of cars you have access to, including company cars, they'll know whether you'll be doing more mileage than you've stated. As for where you live, that's a lot more straightforward. If you live in the arse end of nowhere, it's assumed you'll be racking up the miles every time you use your car, especially if you've stated that you need the car for commuting or business use.

If you've stated you'll do 5000 miles but notice you've gone over that during the year, insurers won't generally be too fussed because that can easily happen, especially if you've had to make a lot of unforeseen journeys. When you get quotes, the prices seem to differ at 5000, 8000, 12000 and 20000+ miles per year, so check the rates at these limits and go for the highest figure that still covers your expected usage and gives a competitive premium.

You'd have to check your policy booklet. Insurers don't generally check for stuff like this, but the underwriters will weight the ratings to take account of things like occupation or where you live. Your occupation might be one that normally involves a fair bit of driving (travelling salesman for example), and as you'll have answered questions on the number of cars you have access to, including company cars, they'll know whether you'll be doing more mileage than you've stated. As for where you live, that's a lot more straightforward. If you live in the arse end of nowhere, it's assumed you'll be racking up the miles every time you use your car, especially if you've stated that you need the car for commuting or business use.

If you've stated you'll do 5000 miles but notice you've gone over that during the year, insurers won't generally be too fussed because that can easily happen, especially if you've had to make a lot of unforeseen journeys. When you get quotes, the prices seem to differ at 5000, 8000, 12000 and 20000+ miles per year, so check the rates at these limits and go for the highest figure that still covers your expected usage and gives a competitive premium.

Cheers pal.

I've had to put down business use but they can't prove how often I use the car to get to work, for all they know I get the train three times a week, but I wondered would they go to the lengths of getting the mileage from my MOT or some shit?

I just begrudge paying anything I don't have to for the simple reason if my car got smashed up and it wasn't my fault I wouldn't claim anyway, the only reason I buy cover is so I'm legal.

Does underestimate your annual mileage invalidate your insurance does anyone know? If I put my proper mileage in now my insurance goes up by two tonne. Will the cunts go rooting for how many miles I've done if someone makes a claim or what?

If you have an accident you will most likely get your claim reduced, if its your fault you migvht end up having to pay parts of it yourself.

If nothing happens and you raise your milage for your next period they will not ask you for money for the first one as you have been driving on your own risk.

You can also aks for more milage now and you will pay for the extra mileage.

I work with insurance and this is how it works in Norway.

Cheers pal.

I've had to put down business use but they can't prove how often I use the car to get to work, for all they know I get the train three times a week, but I wondered would they go to the lengths of getting the mileage from my MOT or some shit?

I just begrudge paying anything I don't have to for the simple reason if my car got smashed up and it wasn't my fault I wouldn't claim anyway, the only reason I buy cover is so I'm legal.

The tax use the MOT to check the mileage for catching taxi drivers and the likes out but I'd be surprised if a private conpany could access it without your consent

Just had my renewal from Direct Line. Went up from £360 to £540 so I gocompared and got a quote for £312. During the quote I noticed that I'd put 12k annual mileage and it's more like 20k so I stuck that in and it came to £360 and that included protected no claims and breakdown cover. Cool.

I called Direct Line and told them that I got a much cheaper quote, they said they'd see what they can do. I mentioned the added mileage and the protected no claims and their renewal price went to...

....wait for it...

....£770.

Just had my renewal through from Aviva and it was £360 which was slightly down on what I paid last year, I went on to Esure's site who I used to be with and got a quote from them for £270 and that includes protected no claims, legal and personal cover and guaranteed courtesy car, and also £25 cashback through Quidco. Back of the net.

Just had my renewal through from Aviva and it was £360 which was slightly down on what I paid last year, I went on to Esure's site who I used to be with and got a quote from them for £270 and that includes protected no claims, legal and personal cover and guaranteed courtesy car, and also £25 cashback through Quidco. Back of the net.

What kind of car have you got?

I'm paying more than that for 3rd party,f and t on a 13 year old focus.

What kind of car have you got?

I'm paying more than that for 3rd party,f and t on a 13 year old focus.

I drive a 2009 Focus which I've had since new. I am 42 now though and have about 10 years no claims, though I do have 3 points on my licence for speeding, and having a WA7 postcode doesn't seem to be doing me any harm. This is by far and away the lowest quote I've ever had though and it would be under £200 without the protected no claims, legal and personal cover.

I drive a 2009 Focus which I've had since new. I am 42 now though and have about 10 years no claims, though I do have 3 points on my licence for speeding, and having a WA7 postcode doesn't seem to be doing me any harm. This is by far and away the lowest quote I've ever had though and it would be under £200 without the protected no claims, legal and personal cover.

I am 46 and have a WA7 postcode too and have 11 years no claims earned since I was able to get a car and 27 years no claims altogether.

Its crazy mate.

Bloody hell it is about 5 years since I had a quote that low.

Currently paying £850ish for a 53 plate Mondeo. That is with 9 years no claims and 3 points for speeding. Would nrmally be £170 a month but because my bird works for Direct Line Group I get 50% off.

So £1600 for a 34 year old fella with 9 years no claims and 3 points all because they reckon my car has more chance of being robbed where I live because it is 0.04% above the national average. fucks me off that also people who make dodgy claims effect my poilicy as well. Now I am all for a little windfall every now and again but these seasoned 'professionals' can just fucking fuck right off. And Accident Management companies.

Hopefully from April this year the changes to the Insurance/Claims game will begin to filter down to the policy holders and premiums come down.

I am 46 and have a WA7 postcode too and have 11 years no claims earned since I was able to get a car and 27 years no claims altogether.

Its crazy mate.

Make sure you check Esure (they only take on customers with at least four years no claims, so their customers are less of a risk and prices are lower because of it) next time you renew and make sure you go through Quidco. Quidco were offering £80 cashback to anyone taking Aviva's car insurance as a new customer too.

Currently paying £850ish for a 53 plate Mondeo. That is with 9 years no claims and 3 points for speeding. Would nrmally be £170 a month but because my bird works for Direct Line Group I get 50% off.

So £1600 for a 34 year old fella with 9 years no claims and 3 points all because they reckon my car has more chance of being robbed where I live because it is 0.04% above the national average. fucks me off that also people who make dodgy claims effect my poilicy as well. Now I am all for a little windfall every now and again but these seasoned 'professionals' can just fucking fuck right off. And Accident Management companies.

Hopefully from April this year the changes to the Insurance/Claims game will begin to filter down to the policy holders and premiums come down.

Direct Line are a rip off mate, I bet you could get a better deal than that from another company even with you getting the discount. Check out Esure and Aviva when it comes to renewal time. Having an L postcode will probably add a good few bob to the bill though, I've got a mate who lives in Prescot and he gets stung because of the amount of cars that get robbed from Whiston Hospital, he does drive a 2012 Audi A4 though.

Make sure you check Esure (they only take on customers with at least four years no claims, so their customers are less of a risk and prices are lower because of it) next time you renew and make sure you go through Quidco. Quidco were offering £80 cashback to anyone taking Aviva's car insurance as a new customer too.

Direct Line are a rip off mate, I bet you could get a better deal than that from another company even with you getting the discount. Check out Esure and Aviva when it comes to renewal time. Having an L postcode will probably add a good few bob to the bill though, I've got a mate who lives in Prescot and he gets stung because of the amount of cars that get robbed from Whiston Hospital, he does drive a 2012 Audi A4 though.

Cheapest I got quoted without 50% off was £1080 by Endsliegh.

My insurance is with Churchill not Direct Line (even though they are the same group)

EDIT: Aviva quoted me £3k and ESure quoted me £1800.

I have to pay in monthly installments so I suppose the Quidco thing wont really help?

Cheapest I got quoted without 50% off was £1080 by Endsliegh.

My insurance is with Churchill not Direct Line (even though they are the same group)

EDIT: Aviva quoted me £3k and ESure quoted me £1800.

Thats some crazy shit.

With my one years no claims bonus, one years driving experience and 1.9 tdi golf, I paid £960.00 last year. although i am 34

I wouldnt bet on insurance coming down hugely due to change in claims rules seeing that it only contributes 90.00 to your premium. It will go straight into the pockets of the shareholders.

Fucking hell. Where do you live? Central Baghdad?