You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Car Insurance

VladimirIlyich

Guest Slim(fast)Shady

my motors coming off the road end of March...insurance gone from £306 to £467...don't even get me on petrol/garage bills...

Fook it...i'll walk to work!

Im with swiftcover and found them to be by far the cheapest.

Also, stick a woman on your insurance, even if she's never going to drive the thing. Knocked an extra £40 off mine just for naming the girlfriend on the policy. Ridiculous.

Ensure that you only cover yourself for the mileage you will do as the lower it is, the lower your premium will be.

Also, if you cant afford to pay it off in 1 go, if you can get a 0% credit card for purchases and stick it on that.

There's a handy tool on moneysavingexpert.com which shows how your job title can affect your premium too so might be worth playing around with that.

Guest The Big Green Bastard
My car insurance is due for renewal in the next few weeks.

I've only got a 12 year old focus but the quotes I'm getting are going up from £32 a month to £44 a month

Any recommendations from forum members?

Get a bike.

Fully comp £200 for a first time biker at the age of 35.

Petrol £17 for 250 miles

Bikes are cool and immediately make birds wet in the clunge when they sit on one, hence why you will never see a female motogp champion.

All this aside, i can't stand prick motorists who moan about insurance seeing as you are the main contributory class that puts premiums up.

Live by the sword and all that.

Get a bike.

Fully comp £200 for a first time biker at the age of 35.

Petrol £17 for 250 miles

Bikes are cool and immediately make birds wet in the clunge when they sit on one, hence why you will never see a female motogp champion.

All this aside, i can't stand prick motorists who moan about insurance seeing as you are the main contributory class that puts premiums up.

Live by the sword and all that.

Bikers are also the biggest contributors of human organs to the sick and needy.

Buy a Bike, save a life.

Buy a Bike, save a life.

Very true, nearly donated every organ last weekend when an OAP nearly wiped me out! miracle i survived, still can't work out how i avoided head on collision, it's a question of millimetres that i just can't fathom.

Wouldn't have donated my arsehole though as i did shit myself a little bit.

Guest davelfc

Buy a Bike, save a life.

When you come across a bike accident and pick up the helmet down the road it usually has a head still in it.

I've been hit three times in my car, none of them my fault and all cars pulling out on me. Had that been me on a bike for any of them, I wouldn't be here to tell the tale. The fourth time was my fault, I thought I'd get some revenge and accidentally pulled out on another car, he was doing 60 ish in a 30 so I'd have been dead there too.

When you come across a bike accident and pick up the helmet down the road it usually has a head still in it.

I've been hit three times in my car, none of them my fault and all cars pulling out on me. Had that been me on a bike for any of them, I wouldn't be here to tell the tale. The fourth time was my fault, I thought I'd get some revenge and accidentally pulled out on another car, he was doing 60 ish in a 30 so I'd have been dead there too.

This is why bike insurance is cheap. We (bikers) have no intention of speeding ourselves into an early grave as we do not have the luxury of a metal frame surrounding our bodies with a seatbelt to stop ourselves flying 50 yards like superman.

We don't use our mobile phones or adjust the radio station whilst giving the kids in the back a bollocking.

Car drivers haven't got a brain cell between them and this thread sums it up perfectly.

I've come across some properly shit bikers who have nearly caused carnage. Most of them tend to be on the fucking motorway as well and seem to ignore the speed limit completely. A lot of bikers also seem to ignore red lights.

It goes both ways. Their are shit bikers and shit drivers but drivers usually get more flack because of the biker to driver ratio and bikers usually die.

EDIT: Section beat me to it.

I've come across some properly shit bikers who have nearly caused carnage. Most of them tend to be on the fucking motorway as well and seem to ignore the speed limit completely. A lot of bikers also seem to ignore red lights.

It goes both ways. Their are shit bikers and shit drivers but drivers usually get more flack because of the biker to driver ratio and bikers usually die.

EDIT: Section beat me to it.

Again what you have said is spot on, there are cunts in all walks of society.

But i will defend bikers to a point as no-one likes to come off and wreck a £5k bike and end up paralysed. Yes we are speed freaks when the road is clear and if only the motorists that drive shit korean cars that take 2 days to get from 0-60 realised that they are not quicker and should not pull out in front of them.

Bikers pay 110% attention to the road, it's surface, conditions and any upcoming hazards far better than the 50% attention span of a motorist.

Driving is lazy imo and you can easily fall asleep at the wheel, when the fuck has anyone heard of a biker falling asleep at his handlebars? it doesn't happen ever. Biking is so adrenaline fuelled that you are constantly alert and aware of dangers around you. The guy who hit me the other day in his shit korean car basically drove off! Why? i don't know? i would hazard a guess that he wouldn't stop becuase his insurance might increase.

This is why there are so many hit an runs with cars.

Only a few weeks ago, two fucking loons were driving at stupids speeds and swerving between cars on the Motorway and cause a few people to either swerve a bit or brake fairly sharply. It was some of the worst riding I've ever seen. How nobody crashed or they never got hit was a miracle.

It's classed as a loan I believe.

If you can't afford to pay in one go up front look at taking out a credit card with 12 months interest free on it. Pay the car insurance then cut it up.

Classed as a loan, that makes no sense at all.

You insure your car and you pay for your miles, if you have just been driving 2000, why should you pay for 20000 in advance, with a monthly direct debit you pay for what you get.

I work with insurance and if we were going to let the customers who set up a monthly direct debit deal pay extra we would only give ourselves loads of extra work and costs.

Now I know the UK is not leaders of the pack when it comes to modern banking and payment systems, but I guess you will get there in the end.

Im with swiftcover and found them to be by far the cheapest.

Also, stick a woman on your insurance, even if she's never going to drive the thing. Knocked an extra £40 off mine just for naming the girlfriend on the policy. Ridiculous.

Ensure that you only cover yourself for the mileage you will do as the lower it is, the lower your premium will be.

Also, if you cant afford to pay it off in 1 go, if you can get a 0% credit card for purchases and stick it on that.

There's a handy tool on moneysavingexpert.com which shows how your job title can affect your premium too so might be worth playing around with that.

Why is that, women cant drive?

My car insurance is due for renewal in the next few weeks.

I've only got a 12 year old focus but the quotes I'm getting are going up from £32 a month to £44 a month

Any recommendations from forum members?

Yeah, don't swap it for a 13 year old 1.2L Fiat Punto worth about £500 tops that you do roughly 3000 miles a year in because you'll get shafted for £360 a year on that, even if you're 39 and have an 11 year (85%) no claims bonus.

Fucking cunts.

To be honest I have been closer to being a corpse in a car accident than in ANY of my bike crashes (which have been numerous especially when I used to ride motocross).

If you have the bike bug it takes control of your soul and for all bikers and some motorcyclists (yes there is a difference) and all will say they have lived.

There is something about biking that gets into your blood, you know the risks and to us they are acceptable risks for the feeling of freedom, control and inner peace biking brings us. Most of us pay out for large life policies too, just in case.

Read something today about a new law coming in saying insurance companies have to offer the same prices for Men and Women. It means Women will have to pay more and we may have to pay a bit less.

EDIT: Here it is...

Young women could face big increases in the cost of car insurance, if insurers are told that they have to stop quoting different prices for men and women.

The European Court of Justice will decide whether it is a form of sex discrimination which should be banned.

If so, some women drivers in the UK could eventually face 50% rises in the cost of insuring their cars.

The ruling could affect the cost of pension annuities, life assurance and health cover as well.

The gulf between men's and women's motor cover is particularly wide for drivers who have recently passed their tests.

Nick and Emma Lane, a brother and sister from Bishop's Stortford, feel the difference more acutely than most.

Nick and Emma are twins. They are 18 years old, so they suffer from the highest insurance rates.

More than that, they each had three attempts at the driving test before passing. And they succeeded within weeks of each other.

They are as similar as drivers can be, apart from the difference in sex.

Yet when they fed their details into an online price comparison site, Nick's motor insurance quote was twice as high.

"I don't like it all," Nick says. "I think it's ridiculous that I have to pay double the amount she does when we're not actually that far apart in terms of driving ability."

The Association of British Insurers (ABI) argues that people get a deal which accurately reflects their situation.

"The facts show young male drivers are most at risk of accidents on the road, so young women currently pay a lower premium for their car insurance," explains the ABI's Nick Starling.

The quotes that Emma and Nick received were for a 1.2 litre Vauxhall Corsa from 2003. They reflect the 58% increase in rates suffered by the 17-22 age group over the past year.

But while Emma's best quote was an uncomfortable £1,700, Nick's was an eye-watering £3,400.

"It does seem a bit unfair," says Emma. "But it's all right for me because I have to pay less."

Of course, if the ruling goes against her then, eventually, she would have to pay a great deal more.

Wishful thinking

The ABI suggests that young women could face an average increase of 25%, rising to 50% for the least experienced.

Research published by the insurers at the end of last year estimated that men under 25 could expect a 10% fall in premiums on average.

That is wishful thinking, according to many in the insurance industry.

"It's entirely certain that women's premiums will go up. I don't think there's any chance whatsoever that men's premiums will come down," says a leading insurance broker, Mike Williams.

"And the reason for that is that men have more accidents and when they have accidents they're more expensive."

And Nick Lane has this confession to make: "I did nearly kill a cat in one of the driving tests I failed. But I'm really not that bad a driver."

BBC News - Insurers set for sex discrimination ruling

Hermes is one of the smuggest cunts I've ever come across. All he seems to do is look down on people and cant get it into his head that not everyone has the same circumstances as him.

If people can't take a bit of financial advice and want to keep on paying more for something when there is no need to, then that's their problem. If they can't see instalments as a false economy then they will always have financial problems. They can keep paying it and the insurance companies and the banks can keep laughing at them.

If people can't take a bit of financial advice and want to keep on paying more for something when there is no need to, then that's their problem. If they can't see instalments as a false economy then they will always have financial problems. They can keep paying it and the insurance companies and the banks can keep laughing at them.

I actaully pay upfront on my insurance but a lot of people cant for various circumstances. You always seem to have this high and mighty attitude to finances.

Here's an idea, Hermes. Manage your fucking money in a way that allows you to pay about 6.5 pence per day to a site you've posted on about 20000 times.

Fucking minge.

Can someone neg him please. Thanks.

Edit: Ive just read the rest of the thread and seen this has been picked up on.

The point still stands.