You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Car Insurance

VladimirIlyich

Go for maximum excess.

Not the best advice. When I worked in the insurance game I had a lot of customers wanting to jack up the excess just to keep the premium down. They then wanted to pay monthly instalments on that premium. I had to remind them that should they ever need to claim they'd be paying whatever excess they'd agreed to, and it wouldn't be payable in instalments. As for the quotations above, a 30-odd % increase is about par for the course these days, even if you've done nothing to cause it.

Not the best advice. When I worked in the insurance game I had a lot of customers wanting to jack up the excess just to keep the premium down. They then wanted to pay monthly instalments on that premium. I had to remind them that should they ever need to claim they'd be paying whatever excess they'd agreed to, and it wouldn't be payable in instalments. As for the quotations above, a 30-odd % increase is about par for the course these days, even if you've done nothing to cause it.

Anybody paying in instalments is an idiot. You have 12 months to save the money for next years premium, why pay more than you need to?

Unfortunately the single biggest factor is your postcode. After that it's things like gender, age, the vehicle itself, claims history, motoring offences history, occupation and usage. Only then does your actual NCB entitlement come into play. When I was working in the industry, I did quotes for myself based on my correct address details, plus quotes based on a random address in Aberdeenshire with the postcode AB15. The premiums at my then address were at least 100% higher than those at the AB15 address, despite everything else being the same. If you live in any major UK urban sprawl then you will be paying through the nose.

Anybody paying in instalments is an idiot. You have 12 months to save the money for next years premium, why pay more than you need to?

Some people can't afford to pay insurance in one big hit. Sometimes it's due to financial circumstances beyond their control so you can't slag them off as idiots for that. The real idiots are the fuckwits driving around uninsured.

Thats an arrogant statement.

If I could pay it in one installment I would but I have to pay utility bills throughout the year so theres no way I can afford anything other than installments.

Some people can't afford to pay insurance in one big hit. Sometimes it's due to financial circumstances beyond their control so you can't slag them off as idiots for that. The real idiots are the fuckwits driving around uninsured.

If the quote is £600 per year or £660 by 12 monthly instalments you end up paying £60 more by paying in instalments. How can you afford £660 but not afford £600?

You have 12 months to save for it, getting some interest on the savings.

Thats an arrogant statement.

If I could pay it in one installment I would but I have to pay utility bills throughout the year so theres no way I can afford anything other than installments.

For the first year maybe, but after that you know it's coming. Manage your cash better, see previous post.

If the quote is £600 per year or £660 by 12 monthly instalments you end up paying £60 more by paying in instalments. How can you afford £660 but not afford £600?

Savings,what are they?

I cant afford savings,I live from hand to mouth so I have to pay monthly,simple as that.

I also believe interest rates are pitifully low for those people able to save some money over the year.

You are asking questions I've already tried to answer. Some people have financial commitments that essentially mean they can't just "set aside" a certain sum purely to pay for their car insurance. Any money being saved up and set aside is most likely for other financial considerations. I sound like a parent saying all this, and I don't even have financial commitments like a mortgage or a family to support.

For the record I am one of those who has paid in full every year, because I both didn't need to pay monthly and didn't want to either.

I'm only paying £200 a year more than that for a 2 year old car fully comprehensive with protected no claims doing 24,000 miles a year. I don't know his details but that quote can be beaten I bet.

Even more reason to pay the maximum excess. Try it and see what the quote is?

For the first year maybe, but after that you know it's coming. Manage your cash better, see previous post.

"I am a genius!"

Obama+arrogant.jpg

You are asking questions I've already tried to answer. Some people have financial commitments that essentially mean they can't just "set aside" a certain sum purely to pay for their car insurance. Any money being saved up and set aside is most likely for other financial considerations. I sound like a parent saying all this, and I don't even have financial commitments like a mortgage or a family to support.

For the record I am one of those who has paid in full every year, because I both didn't need to pay monthly and didn't want to either.

But they still have to pay it and paying by instalments is usually more expensive. They are just putting off the payment and paying more, that's how people end up in debt by buying things they can't afford.

The banks, loan companies and insurance companies love the mugs who pay them interest.

But they still have to pay it and paying by instalments is usually more expensive. They are just putting off the payment and paying more, that's how people end up in debt by buying things they can't afford.

The banks, loan companies and insurance companies love the mugs who pay them interest.

You think they WANT to pay the interest on instalments? The point I made was that they cannot afford to have such a large lump sum leave their account in one hit, even though they know it will cost more to pay monthly. My other point was that there are a number of reasons for them not being able to afford to pay in one hit, and not all of them are due to them being workshy pissants of a financially irresponsible persuasion in the manner you've so conveniently labelled them. You used the word "idiots" but hey, it's just semantics.