You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What car do you drive?

jeremy

My mates brother is getting a Nissan GT-R and I'm fucking jealous. He took it for a test drive and said it was fucking amazing.

Great Car.

nissan-gt-r-2011-3.jpg

We were on the waiting list for one when these were first out. When eventually we saw the car in real life, we dropped out immediately. It's sooooo naff. Not saying it's not a good car (although see below), just it looks like something out of some boys' toys wank mag.

I was testing at Brands in the tail-end of 2010 and some lad asked if I'd jump in his new GT-R, show him the lines and see if it was any good. I have to say that although we didn't buy one, the Top Gear test was so positive, I was rather looking forward to having a go. Fucking bag of shite. Seriously. Well, I'll amend that slightly. I drove it with the standard set-up - that is to say, the setup that Nissan recommend for track use. Fuck knows how they get their settings for that, because it was dire. It wasn't a bit bad. It was a lot.

If I had an hour or so, I reckon I could have worked out how to turn off all the fucking bells and whistles driver "aids" that made the car so bad. I spent about 70% of the first "hot" lap with power being taken from my right foot by the fucking computer. Mad torque-sensing shit that was presumably designed to prevent the driver from over-cooking it on the entry and exit of bends, but did almost the opposite. I don't know whether the car even has a diff. I couldn't work out what it was doing. Christ knows how bad it would have been in "road" setup.

Sorry and all. Maybe it's just me.

And before I get kicked off on, a few years ago, I had a Boxster S. Yeah hairdressers and all. Took it around Castle Combe. 15 minutes of lurve. Proper lurve. Yes, the suspension was shitty, yes, the brakes were on the verge of catching fire, but fuck did it do what I expected. Did it. I guarantee you couldn't misbehave with the GT-R like I did with the Boxster, and I wouldn't have gone close to trying with a 911.

• 2 years later...

Couldn't find anywhere else to put it so it's going here. I may actually start a projects thread to cover all the others I am also rebuilding. Mate of mine reckons I am running a rescue centre.

Finally got around to uploading some pics of my soon to be daily driver. Hopefully up and running by the end of the month.

Other than taking the back wheels off and stripping the brakes the car is as we got it in the pics hence the interior being messy, the headcloth and such like are totally spotless and the seats are in good nick despite the muck. That said the tissues lying on the back seat are a concern!

130411-001.JPG

130411-002.JPG

130411-003.JPG

130411-004.JPG

Back brakes are all done, new flexi pipes, clips, drums, handbrake cables and bearings all fitted and we've cleaned up and painted the backplates. Front brakes are ready to go back on and we also have new flexis for the front.

The front brake back plates are well shot but the bolts won't come out so I'll be running it without initially until I can get another front strut built up with Bilsteins in them as I want to put bushes and better springs/shock absorbers on it once it's been running for a while.

Jobs still to do are get front brakes back together, clean the tank out, new fuel lines and filler neck, rebuild carb and then sort out the wiring which was burnt out when it went on fire.

Will be doing cambelt etc. but want it firing first before that. Also got a 4 button GTI steering wheel to go on which one of my neighbours is donating.

Would like to get some original wheels for it but at this stage I just want it running and useable. I have some Mk3 Golf alloys which I'll probably put on it and still have some other odd pairs of alloys and some steels from the old Golf rally car I had.

Think LL wants some help with his, chevettehs, how you fixed?

If he can get it this far North I'm sure I could sum up what's wrong with it for him.

Fucking love VW Sciroccos.

I have nearly bought an 80's model on two occasions now, but have backed off. Might have to wait that I've recently bought a house, but might get one as a restoration project in the future.

I'm looking forward to having it finished immensely, no power steering, no abs, manual everything and infinitely adjustable air con/fresh air delivery system (window winders).

Probably too late for this year now, but I intend to take it over to Germany to the Karmann factory in Osnabruck next year where they all got built. Then down to the Nurburgring and a bit of German sightseeing before repainting it winter 14/15.

2001 Toyota Celica

Not really a big car fan, more into my bikes but it the first car I've ever owned that I truly love. Fast, incredibly reliable, comfy, a bit feminine. Loads of boot space for my shopping and little hook thingies to clip your shopping bags to so they don't roll all over the place. The Japanese are amazing.

celicia1.jpg

I drive a Nissan Pathfinder. I would never drive a car like this if I was back in the UK, but where I live now it handles the winter weather very well with the 4x4 and high ground clearance.

Mrs G drives a Honda Element. Don't think they are in the UK. They are a bit like a CRV but more boxy.

2001 Toyota Celica

Not really a big car fan, more into my bikes but it the first car I've ever owned that I truly love. Fast, incredibly reliable, comfy, a bit feminine. Loads of boot space for my shopping and little hook thingies to clip your shopping bags to so they don't roll all over the place. The Japanese are amazing.

celicia1.jpg

I like that, but how the fuck do you expect to bum anyone on the back seat?

This is my car. Mazda Atenza. (Mazda 6).

Atenza_zps3849a540.jpg

Shitloads of room in the back. I have no intention of doing any bumming in it though.

I abandoned my Scenic 18 months ago and got a Saab 9-5 Bio Power. It's a nice car to drive. Not so exciting but very practical and 180bhp when running on Ethanol, which is plenty for me. We also got a Citroen C3. 1.6i last year. Surprisingly fun to drive, but it is metallic light blue, making it really very girly.

I am seriously considering getting an early 80s car. I have space in the garage. Pre 83 they are tax free here and the insurance is normally less than a 100 quid a year. I wouldn't mind a sirocco myself. I have always had a soft spot for them. Failing that an early golf gti would be nice.

I used to have one of those, the suspension was as hard as fuck. If you drive over a coin you'll be able to tell if its heads or tails.

If you think the Leon FR is bad, try the Ibiza FR. Fucking hell, the suspension in that is harder than Ivan Drago.

My best mate has had both, actually still has both, his missus drives the Ibiza still. I hate it when he rocks up in the Ibiza its about ten times worse suspension than the Leon.

Yeah' date=' its a japanese import, so you'd get them in Oz as well as here. That picture was taken in Auckland, just before I bought it. (note theres no plates on it yet).[/quote']

Coincidentally, ive got family who live in Auckland who are visiting the UK later this month and next.

Is Hawke's Bay in or near Auckland?