You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2011

Kopite Pete

Have we seriously not learned from making insane decisions like this?

I think we have. Story is bollocks

One would hope so. Offering a 4 year deal to a player who seems very injury prone, hasn't played played a lot of football for a while and may only be a squad player would be financial suicide. A 2 year deal with the option of a 3rd would be a more sensible approach. It will be interesting to know what the signing on fee and salary is.

Four months for a groin injury sounds a long time.

Groin injuries are quite tricky though aren't they, Stevie has already been out for a while & is touch & go to return to pre-season training if reports are to be believed.

4 years seems a bit scary for a guy with such a poor fitness record.

One would hope so. Offering a 4 year deal to a player who seems very injury prone, hasn't played played a lot of football for a while and may only be a squad player would be financial suicide. A 2 year deal with the option of a 3rd would be a more sensible approach. It will be interesting to know what the signing on fee and salary is.

I wouldn't even agree with that offer mate. A player who makes 50 odd games in 4 years because of injury should be a problem for somone else's medical team. His injury record alone makes it a complete no-no for me, taking into account he's very likely to not be that good, only reinforces the fact.

We should be steering well clear of this player.

Guest TK-421
Groin injuries are quite tricky though aren't they, Stevie has already been out for a while & is touch & go to return to pre-season training if reports are to be believed.

4 years seems a bit scary for a guy with such a poor fitness record.

Yeah, I guess. Maybe it's a recurring problem, maybe it's bollocks like PurpleNose says.

Offering a player, blighted by injuries who has only started 64 league games in 5 seasons, a 4 year contract is quite a risk if reports in France are accurate.

Yup, he has started 64 matches in the league, but he's also had 38 substitute appearances over that period ... Add to that 8 starts and 4 substitute appearances in the French cup, and you get a respectable number of 114 first team appearances, for someone who has turned 25 just last week ... Yes, he's had his share of injury troubles in the 2008/09 and the 2010/11 season, but he was also one of the best players in the League 1 in the 2009/10 season ... He is definitely a risk, but signing him on Bosman is limiting that risk ...

Yup, he has started 64 matches in the league, but he's also had 38 substitute appearances over that period ... Add to that 8 starts and 4 substitute appearances in the French cup, and you get a respectable number of 114 first team appearances, for someone who has turned 25 just last week ... Yes, he's had his share of injury troubles in the 2008/09 and the 2010/11 season, but he was also one of the best players in the League 1 in the 2009/10 season ... He is definitely a risk, but signing him on Bosman is limiting that risk ...

Does it though? Surely the only difference is that we are paying the fee to the agent/player rather than to the club?

Yeah, I guess. Maybe it's a recurring problem, maybe it's bollocks like PurpleNose says.

I had a groin tear when i was playing ( at a shit level obviously ) but it was probably the worst injury I had as it just seemed to keep re-occurring constantly & you can't really do any fitness work while you are injured as it's in such an awkward place.

This is my worry about this Marveaux thing but probably more importantly for Stevie's ongoing career.

p.s. It shows how cynical this forum gets you that I just assumed Purplenose was pulling a groin/bollocks gag.

Guest TK-421

p.s. It shows how cynical this forum gets you that I just assumed Purplenose was pulling a groin/bollocks gag.

To be honest, I wasn't quite sure either.

Guest PurpleNose

Apologies. I was just doing a shit joke.

I was pulling your groin.

I've not been comfortable with this signing since he was linked towards the end of last year. He may be a talented player but he hasn't played a lot of football for someone who is 25 years of age. If he is being signed as a squad player then I think Adam Hammill would have been less of a gamble at £500k.

Guest TK-421
Apologies. I was just doing a shit joke.

I was pulling your groin.

I'm slow today. Too much Resident Evil Apocalypse in the Arcade has fried my brain.

Does it though? Surely the only difference is that we are paying the fee to the agent/player rather than to the club?

Not necessarily ... Coming from a long-term injury, he is very unlikely to command any sort of a sign-on fee ... In these situations, there are usually performance/fitness related clauses and bonuses included in the contract ...

Is the right answer.

If he had 2 years left and told people he wanted to leave, maybe a deal could be struck for about £7m with the club. As he's contracted we'd probably have to up his wages by 25%. Lets say a 3 year contract on £40k a week (the French league isn't lucrative by all accounts).

So £2m a year plus his fee - hyperthetically about a £13m deal.

If he was a free agent - he would probably get a £2m signing on fee. His agent might get a further £1m. As he would be pretty much able to name his price, it would be safe to assume he would expect around £70k a week in wages (refer to Jovanovic coming from a worse league than this as proof of these deals).

Again hyperthetically his wages cover about £10m with the fee's pushing it up to £13m.

Where exactly is the bargain in buying players on free transfers?

4 year contract does seem mental but the players has apparently been telling people that he's coming here. It's definitely a gamble but I guess Comolli likes him and he does have talent. Sort of flies in the face of those recent comments about taking into account injury records though, doesn't it?

I had a groin tear when i was playing ( at a shit level obviously ) but it was probably the worst injury I had as it just seemed to keep re-occurring constantly & you can't really do any fitness work while you are injured as it's in such an awkward place.

This is my worry about this Marveaux thing but probably more importantly for Stevie's ongoing career.

Me too. Had it since I was 19. Now 26 and it still isn't right.

Fuck me mate, there's not a player on earth who is in the Messi/Ronaldo league, if we could get a Nasri type player in I would cream myself. Some serious shit being spoken on this thread.

I am not saying we wouldn't take Nasri but people have hyped up Hazard to the extent that he is the next Ronaldo or a Messi which he will likely not be. I wouldn't pay 30 million for a 19 year old Nasri.

I am not saying we wouldn't take Nasri but people have hyped up Hazard to the extent that he is the next Ronaldo or a Messi which he will likely not be. I wouldn't pay 30 million for a 19 year old Nasri.

I guess the trick is to spot them early enough and before other clubs. Something that we used to do better than any other club years ago.

I guess the trick is to spot them early enough and before other clubs. Something that we used to do better than any other club years ago.

Nowadays it is immensely hard to do that though. Well, it's not hard to spot them, but it's hard to sign them when you have the likes of Chelsea throwing money at 17-18 year olds (and younger) as soon as they start showing some promise. And because of the internet and such like pretty much everyone knows who these players are. I don't know why they bother signing though when their path to the first team is blocked by the likes of Torres. Look at players like Kakuta and Sturridge. They are ready to play Premiership football now but they won't get a sniff at Chelsea unless the new manager is Wenger.

Kenny and Comolli are going to have to play a blinder again this summer to bring in players who are young, will improve us and who are happy without CL football in the short-term.

A great point Stevie. It is easy to get carried away with stellar signings & I am as guilty as anybody at times, but on reflection quality scout work leaves the money for the big ones to happen.

I have quickly knocked a 'value for money ' team of the Prem this year without hardly any thought which shows that they are out there.

I think £8m is about top-whack for any of these & it could seriously challenge in my eyes.

HART

SAGNA

CAHILL

JAGIELKA

BAINES

NZOGBIA

ADAM

VAN DER VAART

BALE

HERNANDEZ

VAN PERSIE

About the Marveaux signing, i do fear about his injury record, but he does seem talented enough to make it in the Premier League.....with that said 4 years is a very big risk now that we are in the biggest transition stage that our club has ever seen.

We dont need passengers but maybe we are getting him at his prime.

4 years is too long but only time will tell.

A great point Stevie. It is easy to get carried away with stellar signings & I am as guilty as anybody at times, but on reflection quality scout work leaves the money for the big ones to happen.

I have quickly knocked a 'value for money ' team of the Prem this year without hardly any thought which shows that they are out there.

I think £8m is about top-whack for any of these & it could seriously challenge in my eyes.

HART

SAGNA

CAHILL

JAGIELKA

BAINES

NZOGBIA

ADAM

VAN DER VAART

BALE

HERNANDEZ

VAN PERSIE

Imagine the outcry there'd have been on here if we'd bid for the likes of Cahill and N'Zogbia when they moved to their current clubs. They would have both been deemed "not good enough" without anyone having seen more of them than their MOTD highlights.

United were paying 30 million for players years ago, we need to get with the times.

We should sign who we want and let the club worry about costs.

As Liverpool we should have no interest in re sale or getting bosman's to save money - which is a false economy and we have too many recent examples to go near them.

I don't care if we break the transfer record on an 18 year old as long as we can afford it and it is the player Kenny wants.

Marveux's injury record is shocking but if he is seen as a talent that we can wait for then fine but if he is expected to play then it is just another Aquilani.

We are not in the CL so we are going to have to do some serious overspending this year.

I love all the "he'll end up at ..........." comments. Completely random guesses dressed up as some sort of knowledge.

United were paying 30 million for players years ago, we need to get with the times.

We should sign who we want and let the club worry about costs.

I'm sure the club is listening to what all of us have to say on here.