You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2011

Kopite Pete

Agreed. But I don't think we will get rid of him this summer. Most likely next.

Do you not think we will find a buyer? Even if he stays we will need to buy an additional CB. If we can get anything for him I say get rid and that will free up £4m+ per annum in wages.

The rest of that article from skysports.com

I dont think there is even a case to argue against our scouting methods. It seems quite obvious that you should be looking at a persons injury record over a number of seasons, to suggest anything else leaves you with Joe Cole, Alberto Aquilani, Phillipe Degan, Fabio Aurelio and Daniel Agger in your squad.

He is not everyones cup of tea, but I like Camolli.

As Mirf has said, if he doesn't want any injury prone players then why are we after Marveaux?

He's played 118 games since the start of his career at Rennes (2006), in that time Agger has played 132 games, Aquilani 130 games and Cole 164 games

That's where we play?

The point of that comment was about us needing to aim higher. I was merely saying we don't to be successful in this league.

??????????????????????

Hang on so you're saying just cause we play in the PL we should only be looking at PL players?

Think someone needs to tell the Mancs and Chelsea they've been doing it wrong!

Prat!

??????????????????????

Hang on so you're saying just cause we play in the PL we should only be looking at PL players?

Think someone needs to tell the Mancs and Chelsea they've been doing it wrong!

Prat!

Have you got sand in your vagina? Chill the fuck out.

Am not saying we should be only looking at only players from this league, but that the trio mentioned aren't too far off those that are 'staring' for the likes of Man Utd and Chelsea hence the comment about us not needing to aim that much higher.

If we was competing with the players at Barcelona and Real Madrid's disposal then we might need more in our locker than Young or Downing but we are competing against Kalou and Valencia. Are they really stand out options compared to Downing/Young?

Have you got sand in your vagina? Chill the fuck out.

Am not saying we should be only looking at only players from this league, but that the trio mentioned aren't too far off those that are 'staring' for the likes of Man Utd and Chelsea hence the comment about us not needing to aim that much higher.

If we was competing with the players at Barcelona and Real Madrid's disposal then we might need more in our locker than Young or Downing but we are competing against Kalou and Valencia. Are they really stand out options compared to Downing/Young?

To be fair, its not like we dont look at the quality in other leagues and say "he is good enough for that league therefore he will be brilliant in the Premier League".

We look at young hungry players who have the talent and the skill to go the distance....Suarez, Carroll, Young and Downing all fit that critreria regardless of where they play.

If Barcelona or Madrid had their stares on a Premier League English player, I dont think that the said English player were to sign on the spot if he had the attention of Man United, Chelsea and Liverpool.

On the other hand of course if you had a Spanish that we and Barcelona were interested in who do you think he would sign for??

Quality counts yes, but so does the league.

I dont think there is even a case to argue against our scouting methods. It seems quite obvious that you should be looking at a persons injury record over a number of seasons, to suggest anything else leaves you with Joe Cole, Alberto Aquilani, Phillipe Degan, Fabio Aurelio and Daniel Agger in your squad.

Surely scouting doesnt come into it with Agger. Majority of his injury problems started at Liverpool.

As Mirf has said, if he doesn't want any injury prone players then why are we after Marveaux?

He's played 118 games since the start of his career at Rennes (2006), in that time Agger has played 132 games, Aquilani 130 games and Cole 164 games

Maybe because he is being signed for the squad and not for the first team?

He looks like he does everything well, really, without having real weaknesses.

He's a solid player, but I don't think he's as good as Jagielka, who is one player I really wish we could bring in (or should have done when he was excelling for Sheffield United, albeit not at centre-back) I'm also surprised that if we're looking specifically at English players, Ryan Shawcross never gets a mention: he's been immense for Stoke for two seasons now AND there is the added advantage that Wenger dislikes him.

He's a solid player, but I don't think he's as good as Jagielka, who is one player I really wish we could bring in (or should have done when he was excelling for Sheffield United, albeit not at centre-back) I'm also surprised that if we're looking specifically at English players, Ryan Shawcross never gets a mention: he's been immense for Stoke for two seasons now AND there is the added advantage that Wenger dislikes him.

Sadly, with Shawcross, there's the added disadvantage that in bidding for him we would actually be dealing with Slur Baconface. Pulis would be on the phone throughout the negotiations saying 'Sir, they've bid £13m' and old demento saying 'tell them we've just bid £14.5m'. We'd get royally ripped off. Same goes for negotiations with Wigan, probably more so as Whelan is the Chairman, not the manager.

Dortmund might accept Skrtel or Agger in part excange for Subotic. Maybe both, which could lower the transfer fee.

I'd be delighted with Cahill tbh. Big, quick, good in the air, decent reader of the game and brilliant on the deck. Do want.

Wouldn't be that upset with Young and Downing, but at the same time would probably feel we could have done much better with the money it would take to get them to the club. Both are decent players that would improve us, but both have probably peaked already and I'm not sure either are going to exactly propel us to a team challenging for league titles. Which is surely the point when spending that kind of money?

Those are the names that keep popping up, but lets be honest, how often does what the newspapers say ever play out in reality? Almost never.

Liverpool boss Kenny Dalglish has a transfer shortlist including Bolton defender Gary Cahill, Everton left-back Leighton Baines and Aston Villa wingers Stewart Downing and Ashley Young after being told he has a £50m budget for next season.

bbc football gossip

We'd do well to get all them for a mere £50. Also while they are all decent players the only one I'd be very happy we signed would be Baines. Downing is a good left sided player (who actually seems to do some of his best work on the right and cutting back on his left foot), Ashley Young is one of those players we were crying out for under rafa, he can play anywhere in the 3 behind a lone striker but now we need real wide players and I don't think he is one. I haven't seen enough of Cahill to really form an opinion but any time I have seen him play I don't recall him being outstanding.

I really don't know who I want us to sign. I suppose ideally if we could get Kompany from Man City as our centre back signing, Baines at left back, Turan and Hazard to play wide, wickham as back up to carroll, suarez and kuyt.

Statistics Guiding Damien Comolli, Liverpool's Transfer Strategy, Supporting Interest in Midfielder Blaise Matuidi - Liverpool FC - NESN.com

From NESN:

Statistics Guiding Damien Comolli, Liverpool's Transfer Strategy, Supporting Interest in Midfielder Blaise Matuidi

by Nick Coman on Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 3:53PM

Do you like this story?

The Boston Red Sox gained a competitive advantage by being among the first Major League franchises to use statistics to guide player-personnel policy. They aren't, however, the only Fenway Sports Group enterprise to make decisions in that vein.

Like Red Sox GM Theo Epstein, Liverpool FC director of football, Damien Comolli, is also using statistics to guide his decisions -- a notion introduced to him by Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger.

"I am indebted to Arsene for that. One day, when I was at Arsenal, he brought to my attention that Manchester United were the team with the best percentage of successful passes in their opponents' half and that Roy Keane was the player who won most tackles in the Premiership," he told News of the World.

"He added, 'You understand now why they are always top?' I have been interested in stats from that day."

Comolli explained that his decision to sign Luis Suarez -- one that has been wildly successful thus far -- was statistically based.

"You have to act quickly. For Luis, I asked scouts to make inquiries in Holland. I looked at his stats over the last three years - especially the number of matches played.

"With Luis, we took account of the number of decisive passes, his performances against the big teams, against the little ones, in Europe, the difference between his goals scored away and at home."

Liverpool has struggled with injuries this season, a trend that Comolli is hoping to reverse by statistically accounting for them in transfer policy.

"We are going in the direction of players who don't get injured. We are going to take more and more account of the health of a player in the future. It costs so much having players who don't play," he explained.

Because of statistics, one player in particular has caught his eye as far as the summer market is concerned -- St. Etienne midfielder Blaise Matuidi.

"In France, all the figures prove that the player who wins most possession at the feet of his opponents is Blaise Matuidi.

"That is an extraordinary strong point. When the team plays high, it means goal chances."

Liverpool has just two league losses since the end of the January window, Comolli's first at Anfield.

Beat me to it,Atleast were passed the macia lets look at a 5 minute youtube video then blow millions on him approach,as mentioned above i like the way Camolli is going about his job watching the players in the flesh and doing his homework over the previous couple of years on the player,I can't wait to see the summer signings

Surely scouting doesnt come into it with Agger. Majority of his injury problems started at Liverpool.

He made 34 appearances in three seasons, hardly the stuff of a man of steel. Regardless, we still signed Degen, Aurelio, Cole and Aquilani, all had shit injury records.

I agree he wasnt good tonight and has been poor lately,but he also knows that Mancini has no faith in him and no matter what he does he is in and out the side,if he starts hell drag him off.He needs to get games and play more to get going again,it was a silly move to make in my view as he was going to be a free agent and could have chose the club he moved too more wisely in the summer but either Boro pushed him or he followed the money.