You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2011

Kopite Pete

Cahill is by no means worth 15M, not even 10 for me. For that kind of money we could get the likes of Subotic, Hummels, Howedes who are highly rated worldwide and younger than Cahill. I'm pretty confident that if they wanted to come here we could get them for 20M, I doubt that Hummels or Subotic would move now but Howedes could..

How can United sell shite like Brown, O'Shea, etc. for 4M each at elast is really beyond me..Unbeliavable, if not sad for Sunderland that they can not find some younger (foreign) talent, or maybe they don't want to?

I think John O'Shea for 4m is good value. He is 30 and has a lot of experience. I agree on Wes Brown though, I think he is a bit shit and turns 32 this year.

Liverpool have confirmed Andre Wisdom has put pen to paper on an extension to his contract.

The Reds have secured the future of the highly-rated 18-year-old, who figured in the first-team squad last season, after he signed the deal today.

Liverpool's Director of Football Damien Comolli said: "We are delighted. He made fantastic progress last season. He was here at Melwood with the first team for a few weeks to a month towards the end of last season and he did really well in training and was involved with the first team.

"He also did really well with the reserves. He's got great potential and a great future ahead of him.

"Andre is another player who is versatile. He can play, is good on the ball, intelligent and physically very strong. He has all the ingredients to be a top defender."

Wisdom was installed as reserve-team captain for the 2010-11 season after helping England to success in last summer's U17s European Championships.

A knee injury sidelined the powerful defender at the start of the campaign, but he returned in the New Year stronger than ever, earning international honours at U19 level.

Such was his progress, Wisdom was named on the first-team bench twice over the course of last season, including on the final day at Aston Villa, as well as being included in the Europa League squad.

"We have shown for a while that if young players are good enough they will be rewarded," added Comolli.

"I told him when he signed it is just a step. It's an achievement in a way, but he should not just sit on this contract and wait to see what happens - he should show that he is hungry and wants to keep progressing.

"We know he is very young and that his position at centre-half is very difficult to break into in the first team because of the responsibilities of the position, but Andre has all the qualities and skills to get there."

Since returning to the club in January, Kenny Dalglish has displayed a willingness to give younger players first-team opportunities, with the likes of Jack Robinson, John Flanagan, Jay Spearing and Martin Kelly all benefitting from such an approach last season.

Comolli feels this confidence from the manager in Academy graduates serves as a spur for the club's starlets.

He said: "I think it is massive for the young players. They are coming here (to Melwood) with confidence. Kenny has got a way of saying the right thing at the right time to them, boosting their confidence and making sure they're relaxed, whether it's in a game or a training session.

"For players like Andre, he saw what happened last season with Jack Robinson, Jonathan Flanagan and Jay Spearing, so he must be thinking he could be the next one - and that's what we are pushing him to do."

Defender extends LFC deal - Liverpool FC

Wisdom is a great prospect. I hope we'll see a bit of him this season.

re: Skrtel vs Agger - Agger is twice the player Skrtel is. There is nothing, in my opinion, that he doesn't do better. He reads the game better, he's much better in the air, much better with the ball at his feet, doesn't concede silly penalties. He's a better CB.

If you say you prefer to have Skrtel despite him being inferior because he's actually fit, then fair enough but for me you can't argue that he's the better player for fitness reasons, it's bizarre and yes, equivalent to saying Lucas is a better player than Gerrard.

Agger could have been one of the best CB's in Europe, which is why I don't like it when he's sometimes named as deadwood along with the rest of the shite we need to shift. When fit he's been great for us and our best CB. He should ideally be moved on but if he does he'll do so with my blessings, I quite like him and think he's a great player. Doesn't deserve the vitriol he's getting.

Wisdom is a great prospect. I hope we'll see a bit of him this season.

re: Skrtel vs Agger - Agger is twice the player Skrtel is. There is nothing, in my opinion, that he doesn't do better. He reads the game better, he's much better in the air, much better with the ball at his feet, doesn't concede silly penalties. He's a better CB.

If you say you prefer to have Skrtel despite him being inferior because he's actually fit, then fair enough but for me you can't argue that he's the better player for fitness reasons, it's bizarre and yes, equivalent to saying Lucas is a better player than Gerrard.

Agger could have been one of the best CB's in Europe, which is why I don't like it when he's sometimes named as deadwood along with the rest of the shite we need to shift. When fit he's been great for us and our best CB. He should ideally be moved on but if he does he'll do so with my blessings, I quite like him and think he's a great player. Doesn't deserve the vitriol he's getting.

Until last season I agreed with the forum cognoscenti that Agger was sellable but changed my mind after I saw him under Kenny. He looked remarkably assured and gave us the ability to play a back 3 which proved vital against Chelsea. I'd be happier with 25 good games from Agger than 45 from Skrtel. He's a bit like Robben in that he comes back from injury and plays without missing a beat. If anything, it's the rest of the team that plays worse when he's away, which to me underlines his importance.

Its no good having a top of the range plasma TV with High Definition, 56" screen, 3D options if it only works 2 days a week!

For all Aggers qualities, his assurance and ability to bring the ball out from the back is no good if he is sitting on a treatement table. He is just to unreliable, and that is just as relevant as his ability.

Until last season I agreed with the forum cognoscenti that Agger was sellable but changed my mind after I saw him under Kenny. He looked remarkably assured and gave us the ability to play a back 3 which proved vital against Chelsea. I'd be happier with 25 good games from Agger than 45 from Skrtel. He's a bit like Robben in that he comes back from injury and plays without missing a beat. If anything, it's the rest of the team that plays worse when he's away, which to me underlines his importance.

The big thing is he's our only CB who's really good and comfortable on the ball. IMO it's very important to have one CB who is able to bring it out of defence either by passing it short or running it out, neither Carra or Skrtel are very good at that. Think it will be almost impossible for us to replace Agger without spending a shitload on a quality CB from Italy or Germany.

Its no good having a top of the range plasma TV with High Definition, 56" screen, 3D options if it only works 2 days a week!

For all Aggers qualities, his assurance and ability to bring the ball out from the back is no good if he is sitting on a treatement table. He is just to unreliable, and that is just as relevant as his ability.

We'll need to replace him then, and that's way easier said than done.

Dann, Cahill both solid, but neither have the quality Agger has.

We'll need to spend big tgo replace Agger, and honestly i think there are more pressing areas since if Agger's fitness lets him and us down again we have Carra, Skrtel, Kelly to cover for him.

Right.

Let's get Mata in for €25m, get Enrique tied up for £7m, and get Higuain on loan with a view to a permanent move. We can ignore all the other rumoured shit then, and concentrate onn #19.

Job done.

I reckon he would pick us over Arsenal, City is another matter however

Why the fuck do City need him? They've already got David Silva who's very similar, isn't that enough?

They seem to be in for everybody.

Grr!

Signing Cahill or Dannn or /insert overpriced English player/ will only halt the progress of Kelly and Wisdom.

Carra is not finished. Skrtel looks much improved. 2 very promising youngsters with Agger and Greece as back up.

Signing a CB should be 5th priority. But then CM didn't need strengthening and we've signed 2 more of them.

I read this on the RAWK Mata thread. I'm not sure of the source, but one of the transfer mods is backing it up. They are notoriously quick to shut threads when sources are shit.

Read what?

Oh i see. If Arse lose Nasri - they will get Mata imo.

We'll need to replace him then, and that's way easier said than done.

Dann, Cahill both solid, but neither have the quality Agger has.

We'll need to spend big tgo replace Agger, and honestly i think there are more pressing areas since if Agger's fitness lets him and us down again we have Carra, Skrtel, Kelly to cover for him.

Sorry but I think that is too thin! I think Carragher is showing signs of slowing down, and I don't want to see him play week in week out in those circumstances, Skyrtle has improved but still shows naivity! I wince every time the ball is played in the channel and he is shadowing the attacker you can see him winding up pre foul sometimes!

That leaves Kelly whom I am sure will move centrally and be excellent, but not yet. I don't want to see the Greek play another minute for Liverpool. He has done his job, now go.

Agger has not proved in his five previous seasons that he can offer consistent support, so his ability is at this stage irrelevant I think because his injuries are becoming too much of a hinderance. It is a shame, but I do think we need someone else and I think we need a dominant CB as a priority.