You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2011

Kopite Pete

Downing hasn't though, not consistently anyway, and he's always flopped when he's played in a team with reasonable expectations and pressures like Villa last year and England.

He flopped at Villa last year? Are you sure? I think you should read some of their messageboards and take a look at the numbers. 9 assists and 7 goals with Young taking all the set pieces marks him as one of the better midfield performers in the country last season. Adam is up there too.

As for England, who cares? When does anyone ever play well for them? Lampard has been shit for England for years but has been hugely important for Chelsea in the league. I don't think Downing's failure to perform for England is down to pressure (has there been any?) so much as the fact that he hardly ever gets a decent chance.

He flopped at Villa last year? Are you sure? I think you should read some of their messageboards and take a look at the numbers. 9 assists and 7 goals with Young taking all the set pieces marks him as one of the better midfield performers in the country last season. Adam is up there too.

As for England, who cares? When does anyone ever play well for them? Lampard has been shit for England for years but has been hugely important for Chelsea in the league. I don't think Downing's failure to perform for England is down to pressure (has there been any?) so much as the fact that he hardly ever gets a decent chance.

I meant 2009/10, when Villa actually had expectations!

I meant 2009/10, when Villa actually had expectations!

He was injured for a large portion of that season though, wasn't he?

I'm not seeing he's a world beater or anything, but I do think he's underrated by a lot of people, and I can see how he would fit into our way of playing.

Just watching the second best team in the world rip Unidos Estados to shit and its clear taht its about the patern of football first and the players second.

No Torres but what you see is the Barca style of football moving the ball out of the tackle and creating space for others.

Any of those fringe players would improve LFC

Surely the dont have to be british they just need to be comitted to the cause like Pepe Reina and Xabi Alonso (when he was here)

I'm not seeing he's a world beater or anything, but I do think he's underrated by a lot of people, and I can see how he would fit into our way of playing.

Correct. Im sure he was signed when he was uber injured and didn't make his debut until about 4 months of the season were gone.

Think he played 20 something games and had 2 assists or so, which just isn't good enough in my opinion for a £12m signing.

Anyway, some good news for us all:

Joe Cole to sign for Tottenham | Mail Online

I'll believe that when he's sat next to Harry being labelled 'triffic' at a press conference.

Until then, were still stuck with him and his gigantic wages.

These stories of Modric are worrying tho, they seem to be gathering pace, and that could be very bad news.

Robinson and Kelly.

Correct

I said young players in reference to the first team, seeing as that is the type of player we are mainly discussing.

Kelly is rapid and I'd say Robinson is quicker judging by his race against Walcott, but the reaction of the vast majority of fans seeing him beat Walcott to the ball speaks volumes.

Of the established first team squad (that is likely to play most games), who would you say is quick, let alone fast.

Johnson and Suarez are nippy.

Anything else?

I said young players in reference to the first team, seeing as that is the type of player we are mainly discussing.

Kelly is rapid and I'd say Robinson is quicker judging by his race against Walcott, but the reaction of the vast majority of fans seeing him beat Walcott to the ball speaks volumes.

Of the established first team squad (that is likely to play most games), who would you say is quick, let alone fast.

Johnson and Suarez are nippy.

Anything else?

There is a misconception that Carroll is slow, i do not regard this to be true.

My mate said to me we need players who can pass the ball and find each other, if we get those players we'll win the league, his words not mine... Hes English but his dad is Catalan, so he's a Barcelona fan.... Been so since 1972, he was saying to me that the youth all concentrate on passing, he said the youth from a young age are all bottom of their leagues, because they train without goals, they don't try to score they just concentrate on playing football and nothing else, incredible......

Spectacularly misses the point.

You need a balance.

There's no point to miss. You keep harping on and on about pace in every post like it's the be all and end all. Give me a good slow player over a shite fast one any day. If he's good and fast, fantastic. But i'm not about to start ruling out players because they can't do the 100m in 10 seconds.

There were even a few that had doubts about Suarez because he didn't have pace. Well it doesn't matter because he's ten steps ahead of everyone else up stairs. We need more of that type of player above anything else.

Edited by The Dude Abides

My mate said to me we need players who can pass the ball and find each other' date=' if we get those players we'll win the league, his words not mine... Hes English but his dad is Catalan, so he's a Barcelona fan.... Been so since 1972, he was saying to me that the youth all concentrate on passing, he said the youth from a young age are all bottom of their leagues, because they train without goals, they don't try to score they just concentrate on playing football and nothing else, incredible......[/quote']

There is a reason why majority of the top continental players are so much better technically than the British ones. Things like that are the reason.

I think it was Shanks who once said that you can pass the ball faster then a player can run.

Thats probably not the exact quote but it was something along those lines.

Worth taking that into account though when you clamour for us to sign the latest speed merchant.

There's no point to miss. You keep harping on and on about pace in every post like it's the be all and end all. Give me a good slow player over a shite fast one any day. If he's good and fast, fantastic. But i'm not about to start ruling out players because they can't do the 100m in 10 seconds.

Bollocks do I.

As a side we desperately need pace.

Would I want a sprinter over a footballer? Of coure not.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Anyway, some good news for us all:

Joe Cole to sign for Tottenham | Mail Online

Yep, that is good news. He, along with the likes of Keane, Pennant and Bellamy, is exactly the sort of player we should have been avoiding; they're exactly the sort of player that people are defending the signing of now; and they're just the sort of signing that will be shipped out with fans cursing their name. Rinse, wash, repeat.

I think it was Shanks who once said that you can pass the ball faster then a player can run.

Worth taking that into account though when you clamour for us to sign the latest speed merchant.

But when you have both like the great Arsenal teams your going to win titles

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I agree in principle, but we do need speed in certain areas. I don't think anybody is calling for a player who is 'just' fast, rather a player who is a footballer first and also has enough pace to worry players. Barca have them in abundance, and when coupled with the precise passing we all crave, it gave United major problems.

Yep, that is good news. He, along with the likes of Keane, Pennant and Bellamy, is exactly the sort of player we should have been avoiding; they're exactly the sort of player that people are defending the signing of now; and they're just the sort of signing that will be shipped out with fans cursing their name. Rinse, wash, repeat.

Bellamy was a good purchase given the clause in his contract that we took advantage of. He should never have been sold. Very intelligent footballer.

Agree with Keane and Pennant. Not many would have predicted that Cole would have been so shite.