You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2011

Kopite Pete

So as of right now it looks like: Downing, Marveaux, Adam, Henderson, Enrique, Wickham and Jones. Somewhere in the world Rashid's head is on the verge of exploding.

I'm pretty sure the likes of Konchesky and Poulson killed him off last summer.

So as of right now it looks like: Downing, Marveaux, Adam, Henderson, Enrique, Wickham and Jones. Somewhere in the world Rashid's head is on the verge of exploding.

Sorry to say it but it is times like this banning him was the right option. His computer could not take it and would literally combust.

It will be interesting to see who we actually end up and there is always the surprise, which I am sure will happen.

If we get most of these targets and they work out, we'll have a starting eleven for the best part of a decade which would only need to be seasoned every summer with a top signing or two.

I'm excited by the new philosophy.

Is it a good enough starting XI to win the league though.

Arsenal have tried this buy for the future policy, they have done well out of it financially but it hasn't won them much in the last 6 years has it. Against financial heavyweights like City & Chelsea + the United juggernaut we have to strike a balance between buying for the future & buying to give us the best chance of winning trophies for the upcoming season. Potential purchases like Jones, henderson & Wickham need to be offset by proven quality who will immediately improve upon our best XI from last season.

I dont think this buy for the future has been the issue for arsenal,he has just refused to change his policy fo not signing certain style of players.Had he just went out and spent bigger money on a good young centrehalf and keeper he would have wo at least one league title

If we get most of these targets and they work out, we'll have a starting eleven for the best part of a decade which would only need to be seasoned every summer with a top signing or two.

I'm excited by the new philosophy.

The problem is no one really knows who are targets are, so wait and see on that front.

It goes without saying if they work out it will be brilliant for the club

Id much prefer Henderson over Downing and I know nothing about Henderson but id prefer potential i dont know about over an average player who isnt going to get any better.

I also like the idea that were not being linked with flavour of the month players ie Jones over Cahill

Of course experience is important but there are also plus points for having young, hungry players as Dortmund proved this year. It's not like we don't have leaders in our team. There's a difference between having the likes of Gallas as your senior players and the likes of Pepe, Stevie and Carra.

Sorry to say it but it is times like this banning him was the right option. His computer could not take it and would literally combust.

It will be interesting to see who we actually end up and there is always the surprise, which I am sure will happen.

He's probably still lamenting the fact that we haven't signed Quaresma or Joaquin.

To be fair, none of the players on that list are world class, but I would guess that we have sounded out some world class players and been given the knock back. Personally, I'd rather we signed Downing than someone like Perotti, even if we have to pay a bit more. I don't understand why someone would rather we took a chance on a player who could well turn out to be the next Mark Gonzalez rather than bringing in someone we know can perform in this league.

He's probably still lamenting the fact that we haven't signed Quaresma or Joaquin.

To be fair, none of the players on that list are world class, but I would guess that we have sounded out some world class players and been given the knock back. Personally, I'd rather we signed Downing than someone like Perotti, even if we have to pay a bit more. I don't understand why someone would rather we took a chance on a player who could well turn out to be the next Mark Gonzalez rather than bringing in someone we know can perform in this league.

Downing hasn't though, not consistently anyway, and he's always flopped when he's played in a team with reasonable expectations and pressures like Villa last year and England.

Who gives a fuck about pace? On it's own it's useless, so it's a couple of rungs down the ladder when evaluating a players quality. Look at the speedy shites we've had in recent years. Babel, Gonzalez, Cisse. All rubbish.

Spectacularly misses the point.

You need a balance.

Who gives a fuck about pace? On it's own it's useless, so it's a couple of rungs down the ladder when evaluating a players quality. Look at the speedy shites we've had in recent years. Babel, Gonzalez, Cisse. All rubbish.

Pace got Cisse seventeen goals in 2005-2006. He didnt offer anything else.