You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2011

Kopite Pete

Guest PurpleNose

Still got a few players to get rid off.

Hleb, Afellay, Milito, Bojan are all possibles.

Not sure what they're doing with Keirrison.

Guest PurpleNose
You can see them selling Afellay?

I can. Especially now they've signed Sanchez.

Afellay would suit our league better than in Spain.

Guardiola seems to only use him as an impact sub, as he's not really on the same wave length as the rest when it comes to passing.

Surprises me they've got Sanchez, Rossi would suit them so much more.

They don't really need an alternative style, they just need more depth.

I'd take Afellay here.

I always remember when I still had my season ticket watching us versus Sunderland in the 09-10 season visibly squinting to read the name on the back of this Sunderland player in midfield. I wanted to know who this lad was because he was so shit. He was off the pace, slow, walking round the pitch, he didn't even look arsed.

That was Jordan Henderson.

Has he improved since then? Quite possibly. Still every time I've saw him I have not been impressed.

The main thing he seems to have going for him is he looks the part, ie. he's 6ft, English and he probably wears white boots and those shit sleeved nike tops all the players seem to wear under their kit.

I'd rather have Barton/Adam/ even fucking Cattermole.

Well, get used to it. We're signing Henderson

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Nzogbia and mata are the only two recent links that would actually improve our team.

N'Zogbia is so inconsistent. I'd sooner just keep hold of the money and play Maxi.

N'Zogbia is so inconsistent. I'd sooner just keep hold of the money and play Maxi.

I'd rather have some there to battle Maxi for the starter role and have either of them sitting on the bench would be better than having no bench like we have had for the best part of the last 6 months.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I'd rather have some there to battle Maxi for the starter role and have either of them sitting on the bench would be better than having no bench like we have had for the best part of the last 6 months.

I'd prefer to buy a quality player and have Maxi on the bench rather than spend 10m of somebody like N'Zogbia.

I'd prefer to buy a quality player and have Maxi on the bench rather than spend 10m of somebody like N'Zogbia.

I don't want N'Zogbia but I'd like to add Downing, Mata and Henderson to compete for wide berths in a 4 man midfield whilst having the option of using a front 3 as well.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I don't want N'Zogbia but I'd like to add Downing, Mata and Henderson to compete for wide berths in a 4 man midfield whilst having the option of using a front 3 as well.

I'd be surprised if we spend 60m on two left midfielders and a young prospect for the right side. Mata and Downing doesn't make sense to me. Would Downing play more centrally? Sit on the bench? Lot of money for that.

To be honest, I'm surprised Milner isn't added to the list of English middle-of-the-road list that the media seems to suggest we're in for.

I'd be surprised if we spend 60m on two left midfielders and a young prospect for the right side. Mata and Downing doesn't make sense to me. Would Downing play more centrally? Sit on the bench? Lot of money for that.

To be honest, I'm surprised Milner isn't added to the list of English middle-of-the-road list that the media seems to suggest we're in for.

Both can operate from the right and we have no natural left sided option, are two reasons why it makes sense to me.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Both can operate from the right and we have no natural left sided option, are two reasons why it makes sense to me.

If that's the plan - Downing on the right - then why not go for somebody more natural there. Like Hazard, or another player who will cost about the same, is much younger, faster, more skilful and has more potential?

Just spit-balling, but it only seems sensible to bring in one player for the left with such a hefty fee rather than two. If that one player is Downing, then fair enough, but there's no point then paying another load of money for somebody to play out of position or sit on the bench to cover injury. Not at that price.

Mata and somebody cheaper, like Perotti, would be better in my opinion.

I still can't get my head around people being worried about wasting money. Surely if we sign Mata and Downing that's better than getting just Mata? The fact that downing might cost up to 20 million doesn't mean Kenny rates him higher than Mata and it doesn't mean Downing will command a first XI place everey game. There's no point going for nzogbia because he's cheaper. The money's not coming out of our pockets after all.

As long as the owners are willing to spend i'd rather have five 20 million players on the bench than 5x bosmans...

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I still can't get my head around people being worried about wasting money. Surely if we sign Mata and Downing that's better than getting just Mata?

Surely, if we can afford Mata and Downing, the choice is actually between buying two players for 20m for left wing and sitting one on the bench, or buying two players for 20m and buying two first teams for different positions.

If we were strong in every other position, then buying quality players for back-up would be nice. At the moment we need to improve many starting positions.

If that's the plan - Downing on the right - then why not go for somebody more natural there. Like Hazard, or another player who will cost about the same, is much younger, faster, more skilful and has more potential?

Just spit-balling, but it only seems sensible to bring in one player for the left with such a hefty fee rather than two. If that one player is Downing, then fair enough, but there's no point then paying another load of money for somebody to play out of position or sit on the bench to cover injury. Not at that price.

Mata and somebody cheaper, like Perotti, would be better in my opinion.

Thing is though, that's a hell of a lot of assumptions. It's assuming we have that plan, then that we haven't tried for Hazard, then that if we did that we'd deffo get him.

Am still convinced he'll stay at Lille for another season and I think we've enquired enough to know that.

You know how well I do rate Perotti etc but there is no guarantee that he'd settle here in this league. Morientes, for example, really struggled with it all. It might be sensible, therefore, to buy players that perform well in this league first and add other quality that we believe will adapt around them.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Thing is though, that's a hell of a lot of assumptions. It's assuming we have that plan, then that we haven't tried for Hazard, then that if we did that we'd deffo get him.

Am still convinced he'll stay at Lille for another season and I think we've enquired enough to know that.

Well, everything is based on an assumption here. The underlying argument I'm making is that we need two first teamers with that money, rather than two people playing the same position. We need to use our money wisely.

You know how well I do rate Perotti etc but there is no guarantee that he'd settle here in this league. Morientes, for example, really struggled with it all. It might be sensible, therefore, to buy players that perform well in this league first and add other quality that we believe will adapt around them.

That's a pretty weak argument. Morientes, unlike Torres, Garcia, Alonso and Reina, was 74 when he joined. Perotti is 12. And quick.

Well, everything is based on an assumption here. The underlying argument I'm making is that we need two first teamers with that money, rather than two people playing the same position. We need to use our money wisely.

Understandable points, and I don't overally disagree with them, but I'd rather wait and see who we sign and how we use them before arguing we've done it wrongly.

That's a pretty weak argument. Morientes, unlike Torres, Garcia, Alonso and Reina, was 74 when he joined. Perotti is 12. And quick.

I don't mean we should've look to sign them but perhaps we've looked at him and thought he won't settle.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Understandable points, and I don't overally disagree with them, but I'd rather wait and see who we sign and how we use them before arguing we've done it wrongly.

I'm not saying we've done anything wrongly. It's impossible at this stage. Just giving my opinion on your desire to have those two players at once.

I don't mean we should've look to sign them but perhaps we've looked at him and thought he won't settle.

Yeah, we might well have. Then again, players like Keane and Cole were sure fire hits (I opposed the signing and have never thought Cole was particularly good). I think good players are good players.

I'm not saying we've done anything wrongly. It's impossible at this stage. Just giving my opinion on your desire to have those two players at once.

Fair enough.

Yeah, we might well have. Then again, players like Keane and Cole were sure fire hits (I opposed the signing and have never thought Cole was particularly good). I think good players are good players.

Firmly agree on Joe Cole. Wasn't that arsed that we signed him as think his best days are behind him and wasn't that in favour of him when he was at his peak either.