You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2011

Kopite Pete

funny how all the itk's have said so little about henderson and wickham yet these appear to be our most likely targets at the moment, no doubt one or two of these itk's will dig out one of their one million posts where they listed every possible transferable player as possible and say they knew about this a month ago

anyway, for what it's worth, at the moment we are looking like

gk: reserve needed if brad jones is sold

lb: enrique most likely, everton would ride their own mothers before selling baines to us, cissokho and coentrao would be great but too expensive i fear

cb: cahill link has quietened, between phil jones and dann it seems with jones the frontrunner

wingers: looks like it's between the good (mata/hazard) the bad (elia, marveaux) and the ugly (downing, marin) oh and ashley young too

midfield: henderson looks like happening now at a huge price, don't know if that will affect the likely adam deal, other midfielders heavily linked are McCarthy and Matuidi and even Cattermole

forwards: wickham is the current favourite, aguero would be fantasy and there are various other wild speculations from shane long to fernando llorente

so, at the moment, if I was a betting man I'd say

IN: Enrique, Jones, Henderson, Mata, Adam, Wickham

that bunch will set us back around 70 mil, maybe a bit more in my view

Edited by Nathanzx

oh and 50 million pounds for Jordan Henderson and Andy Carroll is far too much if the henderson 15-18 million deal comes off

but that's the young English international tax

what's more important however is that we shift the deadwood

goodbye to:

brad jones

degen

soto

insua

konchesky

poulsen

jovanovic

cole

el zhar

aquilani

ngog

that's a starting eleven right there, we should get about 20 million for that lot if we are lucky

Liverpool and Jordan Henderson want his switch to Anfield completed by Wednesday.

That's the day the Sunderland midfielder flies to Denmark with the England squad for the Under-21 European Championship, and he does not want concerns about his future to be a distraction during the tournament.

The only thing stopping Henderson becoming Kenny Dalglish's first summer signing is his fee and Liverpool are confident of reaching a compromise with Sunderland after increasing their offer to £15million - just £3m short of the asking price.

Dalglish does not want Henderson's transfer dragging on into next month and is keen to have him at Melwood for the first day of Liverpool's pre-season training.

The Reds have also made an inquiry for Wigan's unsettled winger Charles N'Zogbia because they are worried Manchester United will beat them to Aston Villa's Ashley Young.

N'Zogbia is refusing to sign a new deal at the DW Stadium and Liverpool feel they could land him for less than the Latics' £8m asking price as he has just one year left on his contract.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
From Twitter:

DuckerTheTimes

LFC have bid £8m for Connor Wickham, want Henderson deal done before Wed and hope to beat Arsenal to Phil Jones

Wickham and Jones would be two very astute deals (as long as we've go the financial muscle to go out and get some other - top quality - players, too). Think Henderson is a hell of a lot of money. I think I'm maybe just used to 15-20m being able to buy top class prospects. Hazard and Mata have been priced at around 20m each. Buying those two for left and right would make a lot more sense than Henderson and Downing, in my opinion.

Happy with Jones and Wickham though.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Henderson is the 4th assister in the league, give him better players to pass to and he'll be top 2.

He's a kid, if he comes in, get behind him.

We could sign Adolf Hitler's missing bollock and I'd support him and get behind him. Getting behind people isn't the issue.

I think I'm maybe just used to 15-20m being able to buy top class prospects. Hazard and Mata have been priced at around 20m each. Buying those two for left and right would make a lot more sense than Henderson and Downing, in my opinion.

We like to do things the hard way.

Im unsure more on Wickham than Henderson myself.

Its not like he has been putting them away at Ipswich(13/65)or the other age groups apart from the england u17s(u21 0/3 u19 1/4) and we have both Morgan and Ngoo at the club around the same age.

Im worried he may have been a bigger lad bullying his way through youth level.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I'd love Mata and Hazard myself but i'm sure we've enquired and we've probably been knocked back.

If Hazard wont leave for arsenal and champions league I doubt he'd fancy us.

We've no idea if a word of that it 'probable' or not. There's also plenty of other players out there.

If it is Dalgish behind these suposed signings its very much a shit or bust approach.

If you buy quality and it doesnt work out you normally get most of your money back but if you pay something like 15m for Henderson and he is a flop you will be lucky to get half your money back.

However if these players suddenly become world beaters then Dalglish is a Heroe however I bet Comolli will get the praise.

If it is Dalgish behind these suposed signings its very much a shit or bust approach.

If you buy quality and it doesnt work out you normally get most of your money back but if you pay something like 15m for Henderson and he is a flop you will be lucky to get half your money back.

However if these players suddenly become world beaters then Dalglish is a Heroe however I best Comolli will get the praise.

then Dalgish is a hero?

Like it's conditional?

then Dalgish is a hero?

Like it's conditional?

Agreed he already is a Hero but if it didnt work out it wouldnt do him any favours but if it did then he would be even more legendry than he already is.

Just saying its a high risk strategy that he doesnt need to take at this point in time.

Im unsure more on Wickham than Henderson myself.

Its not like he has been putting them away at Ipswich(13/65)or the other age groups apart from the england u17s(u21 0/3 u19 1/4) and we have both Morgan and Ngoo at the club around the same age.

Im worried he may have been a bigger lad bullying his way through youth level.

Completely disagree with that. I actually think Wickham is more likely to succeed at the highest level that any of the current crop of English youngsters. He's only just turned 18 and is fucking huge, but with an immense amount of skill for a big man.

Don't forget the appearance/goals stats are very misleading as there are a lot sub appearances.

Watched him quite a lot and will be delighted if we manage to sign him. Same goes for Jones.

Completely disagree with that. I actually think Wickham is more likely to succeed at the highest level that any of the current crop of English youngsters. He's only just turned 18 and is fucking huge, but with an immense amount of skill for a big man.

Don't forget the appearance/goals stats are very misleading as there are a lot sub appearances.

Watched him quite a lot and will be delighted if we manage to sign him. Same goes for Jones.

Fair play,i have not seen alot of him apart from the england games.

Thanks for that sounds like he is being bought as understudy to Carroll then, which makes sense if your going to change the pattern of play to get the best out of Carroll

Havent seen him play so just taking what you say as gospel

Dont get me wrong I like Wickham and it'll be a bit of a coup if we pull it off but people are over the moon with him but dubious about Henderson who had a decent season in the top flight playing plenty of games including a full cap for England.

Liverpool signal youthful intent with £8million offer for Ipswich Town striker Connor Wickham - Telegraph

The Championship side have turned down the bid as too low and will demand at least £10 million for the 18 year-old, who helped England’s Under-17 side win the European Championship last summer.

Liverpool had made inquiries about Wickham last January when Fernando Torres indicated his desire to leave Anfield, but were put off by the £15 million Ipswich were asking at the time.

The 6ft 3in Wickham, who has been compared to former England striker Alan Shearer, agreed to extend his contract by two years until 2013, and the deal was updated in April to run until 2014 - although it is believed to contain an escape clause for £15 million.

Kenny Dalglish, the Liverpool manager, is keen to tie up the Henderson deal as soon as possible, having reportedly made an improved £15million bid for the England midfielder.

The Wearsiders were not commenting on the matter, but it is understood they are well aware of Liverpool’s interest and remain unmoved in their stance that the player is not for sale.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I think people are dubious of the fee for Henderson. Looks to have potential though. Certainly not a signing I'm going to go mad for, but not mad against either. Not seen him all that much, so not mad either way.

Downing, N'Zogbia, Adam... those are the signings I'm not all that into.