You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2011

Kopite Pete

Eh? Now i've either monumentally put my foot in it and your dog has ran away/worse?

Or your secretly hoping we re-sign our favouite mental Croatian?

Rest assured he's sound.

I'm hoping we resign our favourite mental Croatian. Honestly it would be the greatest moment I could ever anticipate.

Rest assured he's sound.

I'm hoping we resign our favourite mental Croatian. Honestly it would be the greatest moment I could ever anticipate.

Hmmm. Yeah im not so sure.

I've heard the fanny around the city has only just stopped throbbing after he left... what 6 years ago. The birds wouldn't be able to cope with him and his length coming back here. The mukky cunt

And this bit in bold... really? See i anticipate wearing Katy Perry's fanny like a feed bag. You should raise your anticipation standards man

Hmmm, so we're now bidding for EVERYONE IN THE WORLD? Interesting strategy.

In terms of central midfielders alone we have apparently expressed an interest in: Adam, McCarthy, Matuidi, Henderson, Cattermole.... have I missed anyone? In terms of left wingers there is: Hazard, Mata, Downing, Young (if you count him as a left winger), Marin and Gervinho (again, I may have missed someone).

This strikes me as a bit mental, if I'm honest.

I hope we are not being prepared for another sell before we buy summer.

TB in the Times today -

Liverpool's transfer activity this summer hinges on whether the club can offload several highly paid players who have been deemed surplus to requirements by Kenny Dalglish.

On taking over as Liverpool manager in January, Dalglish inherited a playing staff that was later described by John W. Henry, the co-founder of Fenway Sports Group (FSG), the club's owner, as his biggest concern.

Citing a lack of strength in depth despite the combined annual wage bill of the squad being in excess of £100 million, the American said that the financial outlay on the group of players in terms of salaries was huge in comparison with the resources available, describing the problem as "a bigger issue than we [initially] feared".

FSG has since implemented a long-term strategy aimed at ensuring that investment in the Liverpool squad results in greater value for money. Having studied the club's books, FSG sees a number of players recruited on high salaries who seldom feature in the first team. Those salaries reduce players' attractiveness to potential suitors.

Joe Cole and Milan Jovanovic are available for transfer and Liverpool are particularly keen to offload the pair, their combined wages being about £1 million per month. Neither has received a firm offer.

Also up for sale are Paul Konchesky, Christian Poulsen and Brad Jones, three players signed by Roy Hodgson, Dalglish's predecessor, last summer at a total cost of £11 million. None of them started a league game under Dalglish, with Konchesky and Jones being sent on loan to Nottingham Forest and Derby County respectively and Poulsen pushed to the fringes of the Liverpool squad.

A further complication for Liverpool and their summer spending plans is the continuing transfer saga involving Alberto Aquilani, who spent last season on loan to Juventus. The Italian club had been expected to make the move permanent but Antonio Conte, their recently appointed manager, is thought not to be an admirer.

"All season Juventus have always given me the necessary guarantees that they want to keep Alberto," Franco Zavaglia, the player's agent, said. "The next 24 hours will be decisive. If Juventus can't do a deal and he has to return to Liverpool, Milan would certainly be a destination that he would accept."

Liverpool will have to take a loss on the £17 million fee they agreed to pay Roma when Aquilani was signed by Rafael Benítez in the summer of 2009. The final instalment relating to that transaction is due on June 30, when they have to make a payment of £4.4 million for a player who has not made an appearance for Liverpool for almost a year and is unlikely to play for them again.

Such financial folly has prompted FSG to launch a series of initiatives aimed at putting Liverpool's house in order as it bids to make the club more cost-efficient. A desire to adhere to the Uefa Financial Fair Play rules is one motive behind its determination, but of equal importance is the belief that the Liverpool it acquired require urgent redirection on and off the field if they are to reclaim their place among English football's elite.

There is no suggestion that all incoming transfers will be prohibited until the dead wood is shed and money has been made available by FSG, and Dalglish has set his sights on several targets.

Jordan Henderson, Charlie Adam, Ashley Young and Stewart Downing all feature on the Liverpool manager's wanted list, but the expected spending spree will transpire only once the books are balanced, at least to some extent, by removing those deemed surplus to requirements.

Oh and JohhnyH one more thing since you asked.

The only thing you are better than me at is being a lowlife hypocrite who instead of trying to argue a point ends up with petty insults.

People like you always amuse me.

tumblr_lelvomkjXr1qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

Does it really fucking matter?

Jovanovic was on a free. But instead of handing him the signing on fee, that every single free transfer gets, in one go, they agreed to pay it in his first years salary. So he is on £120k a week. Next year he will be on about less then half that. But who fucking cares. We are not trying to shift someone on £120k a week. Jovanovic won't be expecting to get that salary at his next club because he doesn't get it here. If we sell him before the signing on fee is totally paid, then that will be part of his severance. His real salary is what he will be trying to get at the next club. If we'd paid £5m for him to a club and he'd got no signing on fee then no one would give a fuck as he'd be considered very cheap in this day and age, so I just don't get all the shite about his salary. He's shite - surely that's enough of a reason to complain about the transfer?

But my issue is with your fucking constant inane wish to turn every single thread into a Benitez argument when you know what a divisive issue it is on this forum. Everyone thinks Purslow is a twat, so if he gets the blame, then who fucking cares? It won't cause division on here, so good. That is why I passed my comment to you. Why can't you just fucking leave it alone? The forum is getting so much better now with people rarely if ever actually arguing about Benitez, Alonso (although that will all change come this Sunday sadly), etc, except you. You have to pass abusive comments about him, or your comments above so you can ensure you drag down an excellent forum back in the gutter with infighting such as you are now. You're a total fucking bellend. But I actually genuinely think you are a bit slow or even slightly retarded with the way you dribble on, so I've never really bothered with you. You’re recent efforts to mimic TomRs always funny "I'm better then you" comments have been nothing short of embarrassing. But now you seem to want to converse with me, so here is your answer. Now please fuck off back to licking whatever window you happen to be leaning up against at the moment. You are a bore. I also won't be replying to whatever nonsense you vomit out of that vacuous hole in your head that you seem to think is an information centre, so write what you want in reply, or ignore it. Whatever.

Fantastic post. Don't hold back...

I gues you are right considering Rafa wanted to hijack the deal and bring him to Inter instead.

So you ask a question on a delicate issue despite having already formulated your own opinion on the subject? Why ask the question in the first place then? You utter fucking cunt.

Is their any Liverpool fan anywhere who has genuinly watched enough of Henderson to offer an honest opinion of him?

I've seen a fair bit of him, not enough to formulate a strong opinion on him but he is fantastic. I also posted a screenshot of him from Football Manager in 2016, what do I win?

I hope we are not being prepared for another sell before we buy summer.

TB in the Times today -

Liverpool's transfer activity this summer hinges on whether the club can offload several highly paid players who have been deemed surplus to requirements by Kenny Dalglish.

On taking over as Liverpool manager in January, Dalglish inherited a playing staff that was later described by John W. Henry, the co-founder of Fenway Sports Group (FSG), the club's owner, as his biggest concern.

Citing a lack of strength in depth despite the combined annual wage bill of the squad being in excess of £100 million, the American said that the financial outlay on the group of players in terms of salaries was huge in comparison with the resources available, describing the problem as "a bigger issue than we [initially] feared".

FSG has since implemented a long-term strategy aimed at ensuring that investment in the Liverpool squad results in greater value for money. Having studied the club's books, FSG sees a number of players recruited on high salaries who seldom feature in the first team. Those salaries reduce players' attractiveness to potential suitors.

Joe Cole and Milan Jovanovic are available for transfer and Liverpool are particularly keen to offload the pair, their combined wages being about £1 million per month. Neither has received a firm offer.

Also up for sale are Paul Konchesky, Christian Poulsen and Brad Jones, three players signed by Roy Hodgson, Dalglish's predecessor, last summer at a total cost of £11 million. None of them started a league game under Dalglish, with Konchesky and Jones being sent on loan to Nottingham Forest and Derby County respectively and Poulsen pushed to the fringes of the Liverpool squad.

A further complication for Liverpool and their summer spending plans is the continuing transfer saga involving Alberto Aquilani, who spent last season on loan to Juventus. The Italian club had been expected to make the move permanent but Antonio Conte, their recently appointed manager, is thought not to be an admirer.

"All season Juventus have always given me the necessary guarantees that they want to keep Alberto," Franco Zavaglia, the player's agent, said. "The next 24 hours will be decisive. If Juventus can't do a deal and he has to return to Liverpool, Milan would certainly be a destination that he would accept."

Liverpool will have to take a loss on the £17 million fee they agreed to pay Roma when Aquilani was signed by Rafael Benítez in the summer of 2009. The final instalment relating to that transaction is due on June 30, when they have to make a payment of £4.4 million for a player who has not made an appearance for Liverpool for almost a year and is unlikely to play for them again.

Such financial folly has prompted FSG to launch a series of initiatives aimed at putting Liverpool's house in order as it bids to make the club more cost-efficient. A desire to adhere to the Uefa Financial Fair Play rules is one motive behind its determination, but of equal importance is the belief that the Liverpool it acquired require urgent redirection on and off the field if they are to reclaim their place among English football's elite.

There is no suggestion that all incoming transfers will be prohibited until the dead wood is shed and money has been made available by FSG, and Dalglish has set his sights on several targets.

Jordan Henderson, Charlie Adam, Ashley Young and Stewart Downing all feature on the Liverpool manager's wanted list, but the expected spending spree will transpire only once the books are balanced, at least to some extent, by removing those deemed surplus to requirements.

They were fully aware of the wage bill when they bought the club. You don't purchase a football club to the tune of £300 million and not fully know the wage bill. Bollocks for anyone to suggest otherwise.

Guest ShoePiss
They were fully aware of the wage bill when they bought the club. You don't purchase a football club to the tune of £300 million and not fully know the wage bill. Bollocks for anyone to suggest otherwise.

They said huge in comparison to the resources available meaning they better understood the quality of the overall squad later on. They understand now that we're not getting value for money from some of the players on our books.

That's how I took it anyway...

They said huge in comparison to the resources available meaning they better understood the quality of the overall squad later on. They understand now that we're not getting value for money from some of the players on our books.

Ah, that'd make more sense....it can't be how I've interpreted that comment, surely.

It's not that they weren't aware of the size of the wage bill. Due diligence will look at that in detail amongst other things. What a due diligence audit won't show is what return the club is getting from an asset (players in this case) that is swallowing up the huge wages. It's not like looking at the productivity of a single system or machine at a manufacturing plant and deciding whether it's cost effective. There are loads more intangibles because the assets are people in this case. Having had more time to study the club, and seen the team play on numerous occasions, they'll be well aware that we haven't got nearly enough out of the likes of Cole or Jovanovic considering what they take home every week.

As above really. I'm certain they realise that the minimum level of squad strength in depth needs to rise substantially, despite a general upturn in form since January.

Yes indeed. Here we are, almost a full week into June and all the other clubs have signed loads of players.

Not concerned about other teams........think we need to strike early on the likes of Mata etc. Under 21's Euro's will drive his price up if he has a good one .Same with a few others.

It's not that they weren't aware of the size of the wage bill. Due diligence will look at that in detail amongst other things. What a due diligence audit won't show is what return the club is getting from an asset (players in this case) that is swallowing up the huge wages. It's not like looking at the productivity of a single system or machine at a manufacturing plant and deciding whether it's cost effective. There are loads more intangibles because the assets are people in this case. Having had more time to study the club, and seen the team play on numerous occasions, they'll be well aware that we haven't got nearly enough out of the likes of Cole or Jovanovic considering what they take home every week.

As above really. I'm certain they realise that the minimum level of squad strength in depth needs to rise substantially, despite a general upturn in form since January.

That's fair enough, but I would be disappointed if, at the end of the transfer window (I know it's only just opened!), the excuse for not spending a fair amount of money was that they needed to trim the wage bill.