You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2011

Kopite Pete

Seem a bit torn on here if you can be arsed to run it through a translator. Some think he's pretty good, some blame Puel and some think he's shit.

[Départ] Aly Cissokho - Forums OLWEB.fr

Based on that, they clearly don't seem to think that much of him. The only real reason a few of them don't want him sold seems to be that they are being linked with a worse replacement, but bar from that can't say they sound too arsed about him being sold.

From what I can recollect from that topic, seems he's good at defending one-on-ones but very suspect positionally, and doesn't get his head up when putting crosses in.

I watched elpistolero's clip of him against monaco and i have to say he's looks very average. Technically he doesn't look that great either. Doesn't seem that great on the ball at all. Obviously i've only seen that clip, but based on that alone enrique looks a lot better player.

BBC reporting we're set to make an £18m bid for Downing.

Shoot me in the head with a big fucking gun.

What happened to Comolli's famed negotiation tactics anyway? The most basic thing in negotiations is not to fucking reek of desperation, which we are doing if you believe the reports, as we somehow got from bidding £12m to £18m in the space of a couple of days. Nothing to stop Villa from just raising the price again, and rightly so from their point of view as it seems likely we'll just raise our bid again. Wonder if we're even contemplating anyone else.

Kyrgiakos should be fucking booted out for next to nothing if that's what it takes to get rid of him. He's horrible and I despair every time I'm reminded he's a Liverpool player.

It's beyond me how some people can actually suggest him staying with a straight face. He doesn't need to be here.

Yeah, like i said - it was an automatic activation. I think it was 20 games.

Not good enough but a good pro and can be a help to the young lads. I'd much rather a player like this is here for another year than the likes of Degen, Jovo, Cole, Poulsen, Konchesky etc - who offer absolutely nothing. Playing or otherwise. Fucking wage thieves.

There were times last year when Kyrgiakos was one of the few that actually seemed to give a fuck about what was happening around him. Always dangerous from set pieces (both ways at times) but a good experienced squad player. I'm happy he got his extension but our defense is beginning to resemble a rag tag bunch of oddities that between injuries and lack of quality leaves us severely lacking at the back.

If we did bid over £20m for Jones I hope we are still looking to spend big in the centre back and left back positions.

What happened to Comolli's famed negotiation tactics anyway? The most basic thing in negotiations is not to fucking reek of desperation, which we are doing if you believe the reports, as we somehow got from bidding £12m to £18m in the space of a couple of days. Nothing to stop Villa from just raising the price again, and rightly so from their point of view as it seems likely we'll just raise our bid again. Wonder if we're even contemplating anyone else.

Make it a double shooting, Ben.

Exasperating to see, if Mata's release clause is €25m as reported!

If Kyrgiakos didn't look like he was 110% commited, he would offer absolutely nothing at all.

He is a liability. And needs to go.

I.M.O. that is!

He comes in useful against the physical long ball teams like Stoke and Everton but looks out of place in the big games.

I distinctly recall him being shit against Everton once. But then calling them a long ball team may be a bit harsh.

Why does he get stick? Because he's awful, he concedes stupid penalties, has no positional sense, fuck all ability on the ball (he's almost as bad a hoofer as Carra) and if he was any slower he'd be walking backwards, it's just not viable in today's game, especially not in the Premier League, to play with a CB who's turn on the spot is about as fast as the turn of an aircraft carrier.

The memories of Odemwingie running rings around him are still fresh in my mind, it'll be some time before we see a CB struggle that hard again. It was one of the worst individual performances I've seen from a CB, if not the worst.

Make it a double shooting, Ben.

Exasperating to see, if Mata's release clause is €25m as reported!

you keep saying this, but price is not the only factor.

I don't think there is anyone who would choose Downing over Mata, if they were both willing to come here, on the same wages and at the same price.

Mata is hotter property that Downing, so there is far more competition, and he can play clubs off against each other.

If we do sign Downing over Mata, I don't think it will be because we didn't want Mata, it will just be that he chose someone else over us.

I don't think there is anyone who would choose Downing over Mata, if they were both willing to come here, on the same wages and at the same price.

Mata is hotter property that Downing, so there is far more competition, and he can play clubs off against each other.

If we do sign Downing over Mata, I don't think it will be because we didn't want Mata, it will just be that he chose someone else over us.

Sure. But I would hope that we did everythig in our power to get Mata and if he chooses elsewhere, so be it.

It's the thought that we're concentrating solely on Downing that has me scratching my head!

It will all come out in the wash of course.

Sure. But I would hope that we did everythig in our power to get Mata and if he chooses elsewhere, so be it.

It's the thought that we're concentrating solely on Downing that has me scratching my head!

It will all come out in the wash of course.

Let's hope all the talk of Downing is an elaborate smoke screen

There are very credible reports saying Downing is the no.1 target. Some like Rory Smith have actually said Mata was a fallback option.

We are fucking hellbent as hellbent can be to get him, people need to stop pretending he's like 4th or 5th choice whom we're getting because we have no CL football to attract anyone better just so they can avoid asking themselves the uncomfortable million dollar question of why we so desperately want a player of his (low) quality and calibre.

We're getting him because we want him. It's a big test of faith but I'll trust Kenny on it, even if I'm not particularly happy about it, I don't need to be. Hopefully it'll all work out.

We bid 15m a few days ago, should we bid 15.1m or something now? Yes we are contemplating other players. Anyone in their right mind wouldn't even question this.

I don't think the fact that Downing is desperate to play for LFC can be underplayed. I'd take a good, hungry player over a great, nonchalant player any day of the week. (not saying that Mata isn't hungry)

Do you know something or you just a pessimist? Or do you actually think Downing is a better option?

I dont think Downing is a btter option no but if Kenny wanys him Kenny wants him.

I also think he'll go for silly money and not the 25m you all think he will and he'll go to a champions league team or stay for another year at valencia

I dont think Downing is a btter option no but if Kenny wanys him Kenny wants him.

I also think he'll go for silly money and not the 25m you all think he will and he'll go to a champions league team or stay for another year at valencia

I'm starting to think he'll stay at Valencia for another year. Shame cos I thought we had a good chance of getting him.

Where there's life, there's hope!

I'm starting to think he'll stay at Valencia for another year. Shame cos I thought we had a good chance of getting him.

The word is he's on the move. With all the speculation surrounding him, I'll be surprised if he starts the season at Valencia.