You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2011

Kopite Pete

Which we don't. Which is obvious. Which everyone knows.
I'm starting to get that feeling as well. I'm just hoping that over the next few weeks we start to splash some cash, but it looks like we have to sell our rubbish first like Jova,Cole,Aqua before we can re-invest in the squad. Hope I'm just wrong and am made eat my words come the start of the season.

See I think we have the cash (but not as much as people think) for new players but it has more to do with offloading the deadwood from the wage bill rumored to be around 30m/year that is the hold up. So they are looking at the big picture and saying if we add these players and can't get rid of these other players permanently or on loan then our wage bill will increase by substantial amount.

No, Tom.

You know what I mean though; your mileage may vary on how much £4M is worth. If, hypothetically, it was the difference between getting a top winger but no left back, and a good winger and a decent left back, then that is a decision the manager just has to live with taking himself. He can't go back to the board and say "come on, just another four million quid" after they are presumably already giving him as much as they can.

See I think we have the cash (but not as much as people think) for new players but it has more to do with offloading the deadwood from the wage bill rumored to be around 30m/year that is the hold up. So they are looking at the big picture and saying if we add these players and can't get rid of these other players permanently or on loan then our wage bill will increase by substantial amount.

Definitely, I dont think some know how bad a position we are in with this wage bill. Its massive! And we have this while having the smallest income ground from us, Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal and no CL football. It desperately needs sorting, we cant keep adding and adding to it, we'll end up in a horrific amount of debt.

well we bid 20 mil for jones so money must be there.

22 million actually.

But let's not ruin the spastic festival going on in here.

We spent almost £20m on a young midfielder, as an investment in youth, but let's not consider that either.

Cannot comprehend this 'feeling' of impending doom, it's fucking mental.

WE will scupper this club's future with our incomprehendable twattishness, in-fighting, bitching, and negativity, it's fucking appalling, bunch of fucking toddlers, you need a stern talking to and, may I suggest, something a little stronger.

You know what I mean though; your mileage may vary on how much £4M is worth. If, hypothetically, it was the difference between getting a top winger but no left back, and a good winger and a decent left back, then that is a decision the manager just has to live with taking himself. He can't go back to the board and say "come on, just another four million quid" after they are presumably already giving him as much as they can.

If that were the case, then yeah, I'd be fully supportive of getting an inferior winger to Mata if it meant getting in a decent left back to improve the team. But my point was more to do with the wording of his post, it made it sound as if Mata wasn't available for anywhere near £18m. Sid Lowe was implying that we just didn't have £20m-22m to buy him and that the club thought we could get other players who are just as good for a lower price, which makes perfect sense and echoes what you said about making the most of our budget and stretching it to ensure it covers every area that the managment staff feels needs strengthening.

Agree with that.

If that were the case, then yeah, I'd be fully supportive of getting an inferior winger to Mata if it meant getting in a decent left back to improve the team. But my point was more to do with the wording of his post, it made it sound as if Mata wasn't available for anywhere near £18m. Sid Lowe was implying that we just didn't have £20m-22m to buy him and that the club thought we could get other players who are just as good for a lower price, which makes perfect sense and echoes what you said about making the most of our budget and stretching it to ensure it covers every area that the managment staff feels needs strengthening.

Pretty much agree with all of that. I just took exception to the idea that four million is loose change.

22 million actually.

But let's not ruin the spastic festival going on in here.

We spent almost £20m on a young midfielder, as an investment in youth, but let's not consider that either.

Cannot comprehend this 'feeling' of impending doom, it's fucking mental.

WE will scupper this club's future with our incomprehendable twattishness, in-fighting, bitching, and negativity, it's fucking appalling, bunch of fucking toddlers, you need a stern talking to and, may I suggest, something a little stronger.

WE DID'NT SPEND 20 MILLION ON HENDERSON!!!

can someone start banning people who say we spent 20 million on henderson

Guest davelfc
WE DID'NT SPEND 20 MILLION ON HENDERSON!!!

can someone start banning people who say we spent 20 million on henderson

Where do you think you are RAWK?

There isn't much difference between £22m and £18m to be honest. It's hardly as if the fees are miles apart, I think what Sid Lowe is implying is that we don't have much money to splash out on top players.

Where did you get £22m from?

In this crazy market I think Valencia should expect at least £25m, £30m if Chelsea or City are involved. Which, taking a guess, probably would put us out of the running.

Where did you get £22m from?

In this crazy market I think Valencia should expect at least £25m, £30m if Chelsea or City are involved. Which, taking a guess, probably would put us out of the running.

Its from Ballague. He claims thats what he'll go for. Thing is, if Ballague is guessing it would be more sense for him to say something like 30 because thats would you would think Mata would go for.

But Ballague has said something like 20-22 million which means hes either privy to some info we're not or hes shite at guessing.

Which is entirely possible.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Its from Ballague. He claims thats what he'll go for. Thing is, if Ballague is guessing it would be more sense for him to say something like 30 because thats would you would think Mata would go for.

But Ballague has said something like 20-22 million which means hes either privy to some info we're not or hes shite at guessing.

Ballague said 18-22 million Euros. Other papers have reported that Valencia won't budge from their £22m asking price. Worth it, and some.

Cheers, was genuinely curious.

All comes down to demand though I suppose, so it's hard to tell for certain, even for those that are privy to certain information. It's just that, if 20-22m is the price, then surely someone would have already come in and matched it by now.