You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2011

Kopite Pete

Guest Numero Veinticinco
And if we signed someone like Aguero I'd be fine with just him and a left back. We'd have no out and out wingers, but neither Pedro, Messi or Villa are out and out wingers and they seem to do alright.

It's all a lot of fantasy though, isn't it. Who the fuck knows what's going on behind the scenes? We might end up with Downing and Adam as our major signings because funds are a bit tighter than they were, what with us being out of top European football for a couple of seasons, or we might be looking at Mata or Aguero, with Kenny wanting players like Downing and Adam to sure up the squad, whilst playing a 4-3-3 with attacking full-backs to give width. Who knows.

As for Aguero, he's clearly a very good player. If we're in the market for good players, I'd love to see him here. Who wouldn't?

Aguero isn't even worthy of discussion. He will go to a club with recent success and Champions League football, we haven't a chance.

Except it was reported a couple of days ago that he agreed terms with Juventus. Not to mention Marca are writing today that he's close to signing for them. There you go, just for your benefit -

Agentes de Kun llevaron una oferta de 35 millones de la Juve - MARCA.com

I love that people try to convince themselves that not being in the CL means top player won't even consider us, just to make themselves more comfortable with the idea of us signing some of the average players we're linked to for mega bucks.

L'Equipe is reporting by the way that PSG are in for Hazard and that he's interested. PSG. Let me repeat that. PSG. From the current Ligue 1 holders who are in the CL, to PSG. Guess why? because they have new owners with big ambitions and he's probably seeing long term sense in making that move. So that just further strengthens my point.

I guess all I want is to see various people accept and admit that we're in for the players we're reliably linked to because we actually really want them and not because everyone else has turned us down like we were some fucking tin pot club. We're in for Downing because we want him, not because he's simply the best we can get.

What conclusions you draw from that is your own business and not the point anyway, we're all entitled to our opinions, but my point are the facts on the ground. I see no reason why players would be willing to move to Juventus and PSG but not to us.

Just a thought. Why would Sunderland meet Wickham's people in London? Why not wait til he is up in Sunderland for a medical. Pointless travel

Ben Smith saying we are focussed on Downing, Adam and Clichy at the moment. Bit gutting for Wickham I'd say

We might end up with Downing and Adam as our major signings because funds are a bit tighter than they were, what with us being out of top European football for a couple of seasons, or we might be looking at Mata or Aguero, with Kenny wanting players like Downing and Adam to sure up the squad, whilst playing a 4-3-3 with attacking full-backs to give width. Who knows.

Yeah it's weird not having a clue and wondering what's happening. Am just trying to see it as a good thing instead of it doing my head in though, at least we have owners who have serious funds behind them if needed and a great manager, so there's plenty of time for us to get the players we need.

Just a thought. Why would Sunderland meet Wickham's people in London? Why not wait til he is up in Sunderland for a medical. Pointless travel

Ben Smith saying we are focussed on Downing, Adam and Clichy at the moment. Bit gutting for Wickham I'd say

Maybe we just don't have the money to buy those 3 aswell as Wickham, so we're just backing off him now.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Yeah it's weird not having a clue and wondering what's happening. Am just trying to see it as a good thing instead of it doing my head in though, at least we have owners who have serious funds behind them if needed and a great manager, so there's plenty of time for us to get the players we need.

I think we've got to wait to see how serious the funds are, and how well we spend them.

Maybe we just don't have the money to buy those 3 aswell as Wickham, so we're just backing off him now.

I think that may be the case, which I would ask, who would give us more Wickham or Adam?

Caroll seems prone to the odd injury, meaning we will have Kuyt and Suarez, and players like Downing brought in to get the best out of Caroll. It is going to be difficult to watch the N'Gog deal fall through over wages, only to see them buy Wickham instead.

I have no problem with Downing and Clichy, I think they could be an excellent addition, but I see no point in Adam!

Possibly. But i think the point is we need a striker ahead of a central midfielder. If we pulled out the Adam deal it may shit oyston up and get him to play ball. That deal will drag I think. No way they are selling yet.

You would imagine that if we want him then we'll add £2m to the offer. If we don't want him that much then we won’t.

I'll be honest in that I would like to see us take more of an initiative in the transfer market after a few decades of fucking about until the last minute. We fucked about with the Suarez bids until the last minute also in January with us having to up the bid by in the region of £8m with a few days to go to get him. We had a good last day of the transfer window in January, even though we had to drastically over pay to get our man, but I know that was a victim of circumstance with Torres handing in the transfer request so late.

I’m not arsed if we miss out on Wickham. I just hope that we miss out on him through our own choice, as opposed to being beaten to the punch by Steve Bruce and Niall Quinn.

ADDENDUM – Before the usual pillocks come on ranting about how we are all panicking and we should give the new management team a chance. I am only commenting on what has gone on for years under numerous previous management teams and saying that I hope we are getting better at doing our business and not getting beaten to the punch by twats like Steve Bruce.

Yep. NESV have been impressive in the way they've gone about their business to date, but ultimately they'll be judged on actions and not promises. It's up to them to prove to us that they're different. Blind faith isn't enough any more and only an idiot would label such healthy cynicism as panic or histrionics.

Bar Henderson - the first time they're really had to put their hands in their pockets - we've done nothing yet. In fairness, few enough teams bar United have, but hopefully things won't get to the stage where F5 keys are poked to smithereens on transfer blogs on August 31st.

In their defence, they're dead right to balk at an ask of £25m+ for Scott Dann and Connor Wickham. The homegrown issue has added a whole new layer of insanity to an industry seemingly impervious to recession. Why should we pay Galactico prices for players that only Aston Villas and Sunderlands would have squabbled over even two or three years ago?

Of bigger concern for me right now is the absence of interest in any of our squad players on ransom wages - Cole, Jovanovic etc. Ultimately, failure to move them on will surely limit whatever business we intend doing this summer.

Yep. NESV have been impressive in the way they've gone about their business to date, but ultimately they'll be judged on actions and not promises. It's up to them to prove to us that they're different. Blind faith isn't enough any more and only an idiot would label such healthy cynicism as panic or histrionics.

Bar Henderson - the first time they're really had to put their hands in their pockets - we've done nothing yet. In fairness, few enough teams bar United have, but hopefully things won't get to the stage where F5 keys are poked to smithereens on transfer blogs on August 31st.

In their defence, they're dead right to balk at an ask of £25m+ for Scott Dann and Connor Wickham. The homegrown issue has added a whole new layer of insanity to an industry seemingly impervious to recession. Why should we pay Galactico prices for players that only Aston Villas and Sunderlands would have squabbled over even two or three years ago?

Of bigger concern for me right now is the absence of interest in any of our squad players on ransom wages - Cole, Jovanovic etc. Ultimately, failure to move them on will surely limit whatever business we intend doing this summer.

That is a pretty much perfect assessment I think!

I think that may be the case, which I would ask, who would give us more Wickham or Adam?

Caroll seems prone to the odd injury, meaning we will have Kuyt and Suarez, and players like Downing brought in to get the best out of Caroll. It is going to be difficult to watch the N'Gog deal fall through over wages, only to see them buy Wickham instead.

I have no problem with Downing and Clichy, I think they could be an excellent addition, but I see no point in Adam!

I agree, especially with Aquilani looking likely to come back, I feel Adam is a waste of our current resources. We've got Lucas, Spearing, Gerrard, Aquilani, Meireles and Henderson, I don't feel we need another centre midfielder, especially when we're seemingly working on a limited budget and we have more urgent areas to look at, like centre back and the striker position.

I agree, especially with Aquilani looking likely to come back, I feel Adam is a waste of our current resources. We've got Lucas, Spearing, Gerrard, Aquilani, Meireles and Henderson, I don't feel we need another centre midfielder, especially when we're seemingly working on a limited budget and we have more urgent areas to look at, like centre back and the striker position.

I have to agree, we have 6 there and you can then add the likes of Cole and Jovanovic to that. Until one or a couple of them are got rid of we shouldn't even be in the market for more. If we are a bit rubbish on corners, well keep them back in training and get them taking corners until they can take them correctly. No need to spunk 8m on someone just because he can deliver a set piece.

And gibberer why dont you fuck off you mong. I aint paid to scout or suggest players, but forums are here to give opinions on our current plans, and thats what i'm doing giving an opinion. Save our money and just stick to wingers and a left back.

Common consensus seems to be 'why are we prioritising Adam ahead of other more pressing positions'.

Who says we are prioritising Adam tho? The club have said nothing, and Blackpool have confirmed they have received no bid's for him. That doesn't scream that he's our no1 target to me. I don't doubt we have an interest, but i'll hear from the club officially before i start to get worked up over it.

I am wondering how we are going to set up next season. Who is going to be our steel in midfield, our holding midfielder? We aren't strongly linked with any that I am aware. Are we just going to attack, attack, attack........don't forget to track back....

This Adam deal is turning out to be one long drawn out boring affair for a player who is nothing special. That's if he is even a target, all I've heard has been from random nob head ITK's. Not signing anyone else yet doesn't bother me too much but the constant reminders from journos about losing out on players plus the fact Commoli has done 3 deals, one he insulted the the club by offering a stupid fee, then we payed obscenely for the other two neither of which seem close to the price they cost.

Still it's good to be a whining bastard again, rather than consigned to expecting sod all transfers except maybe a few shite freebies.

If i was wickham i'd choose sunderland over liverpool. He knows he'll get a lot more first team opportunities there than he would with us so i can't blame him if he moves there. He's a decent player but i think he's overrated because he's english and the media are desperate for him to be the next big thing.

Bit pissed that ngog isn't going because he's a greedy cunt and won't take a drop in wages. I would have thought at his age first team football would have been more important.

Aquilani for all his talent needs too much time on the ball and will never be able to handle the premiership and i think he's mentally damaged from all his injuries.

Don't want to sell meireles regardless of who we bring in. Yeah he may have stamina issues but he has great off the ball movement and has a knack of being able to find space which gives him his shooting opportunites. There's many times he's in open space but our players dont find him with a pass. We need him for squad depth, and at least we know that if suarez or gerrard was injured he could fill their roles. Even like the end of last season when carroll was injured and meireles was in the team with suarez leading the line he was very effective. If its true he's on 35k a week, lets be honest he definitely deserves more than that.

No problem with adam coming as he brings something different to the team. He's no alonso and never will be, but he has a good shot on him and i think dalglish can improve his defensive game. To be honest its not his fault he's crap defensively as blackpool had no problem with him doing no defensive work so allowed him to focus on going forward and everyone else did the work for him. Will be totally different at liverpool, and if he can improve that side of his game we will have a cracking player. blackpool saying they've received no bids from him means fuck all. sunderland said the same and the next thing you knew hendo(i bet you he has the nickname hendo) was having a medical.

Not too worried about no transfers as i think things will heat up from friday when the transfer window officially opens. But the days of buying any player on the cheap seems to be over. To get a decent player these days costs at LEAST £10m if you are lucky. So no point bitching about danns' price or any others to be honest.

Quite surprised over the gary cahill situation as i thought loads of clubs wanted him but it all seems quiet on that front. Even though rumours are that arsenal are after him but i thought he was meant to be going to city. Decent defender but no pace, im not a fan personally and prefer samba who looks a beast at the back. Must say i'm a bit surprised that outside of the Jones situation we haven't been linked with any CB's when we so desperately need one. Maybe that one is being kept on the DL.