You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2011

Kopite Pete

Downing, Cattermole, Henderson, Barton, is reality starting to bring you all back down to earth yet? or are you still wetting your pants over Aguero?

A deal for Aguero would be a lot easier to make given his release clause, whereas negotiations need to take place for the likes of Downing, Henderson etc.

I'm confident we'll add the right mix of experience, youth, quality and potential this summer. Not sure if that means I'm back on earth or somewhere else wetting me kecks, but there you go.

I think both Mata and Aguero will be after big big wages and are the types of players that may depend on shedding some wage-whores first.

This is Mata's first real chance of a big payday, as I've already said earlier in the thread I've not watched much of him for Valencia, but I remember watching him break through at Castilla (the season the club was relegated iirc) and was amazed RM never gave him a go. At all. Anyway, his contract at Castilla would have been peanuts, then Valencia grabbed him through a clause in his contract. They were still contenders so that would have been a prove yourself deal, well he has and two contract extensions at a financially struggling club means he is probably on good money, but not great. His last extension (January?) I think was more about making sure they got a decent price this summer than tying him down.

He'll be after 80-100k.

I think both Mata and Aguero will be after big big wages and are the types of players that may depend on shedding some wage-whores first.

This is Mata's first real chance of a big payday, as I've already said earlier in the thread I've not watched much of him for Valencia, but I remember watching him break through at Castilla and was amazed RM never gave him a go. At all. Anyway, his contract at Castilla would have been peanuts, then Valencia grabbed him through a clause in his contract. They were still contenders so that would have been a prove yourself deal, well he has and two contract extensions at a financially struggling club means he is probably on good money, but not great. His last extension (January?) I think was more about making sure they got a decent price this summer than tying him down.

He'll be after 80-100k.

Good post that. It'd tie in with what's being said about us needing to get rid before signing some.

If Poulsen leaves his time here will be almost Degen-esque, feel a bit sorry for him really and hope he does well if he moves on. At least he didn't get injured all the time though like Degen did.

(waits for "would rather he'd been injured than played how he did.")

Cheers, I'll follow it up with a shit post pulling a name from my arse to see how people feel...

Esteban Granero.

Better than Henderson, can play midfield and wing like Henderson, cheaper than Henderson (probably) and not playing anywhere near enough to be sure of a place at the Euros for Spain.

Love El Pirata myself.

Cheers, I'll follow it up with a shit post pulling a name from my arse to see how people feel...

Esteban Granero.

Better than Henderson, can play midfield and wing like Henderson, cheaper than Henderson (probably) and not playing anywhere near enough to be sure of a place at the Euros for Spain.

Love El Pirata myself.

Good player him but I think he's different to Henderson in that he's more expansive in his play. It'd certainly take him more time to get his head around this league, that's for sure.

Shearer was a 1 goal in every 3.6 games for Southampton

Wickham is a 1 goal in every 4.8 games for Ipswich

Shearer then went on to improve dramatically which would be quality if Wickham plays for us and does the same. But Shearer had a better goal to game ratio at a similar age.

Different era's to be fair

and different divisions

Wouldn't surprise me if we still can't shift Degen and El Zhar come the start of the season.

Wow, forgot Degen had gone on loan, thought he'd been sold. Just checked and he's listed as having appeared only 5 times last season so not sure what happened, but will guess injuries played a part. He's going to have to be moved on because he's never going to get a game ahead of Flanno, Kelly and Johnson.

Esteban Granero.

Love El Pirata myself.

I think he would be quality for us. However it seems that we are concentrating on homegrown talent at the moment.

El Zhar. Jesus Christ, he's still technically a Liverpool player?

Getting rid of players we don't want any more is going to be just as difficult as signing the ones we do want. Ideally you do that before you sign anyone because then you know what your wage bill looks like, but i just don't see that as being possible.

El Zhar. Jesus Christ, he's still technically a Liverpool player?

Getting rid of players we don't want any more is going to be just as difficult as signing the ones we do want. Ideally you do that before you sign anyone because then you know what your wage bill looks like, but i just don't see that as being possible.

Same as Degen. One year left on his contract

Wow, forgot Degen had gone on loan, thought he'd been sold. Just checked and he's listed as having appeared only 5 times last season so not sure what happened, but will guess injuries played a part. He's going to have to be moved on because he's never going to get a game ahead of Flanno, Kelly and Johnson.

is he still in contract?

The major issue with the ones we want to let go is their wages. It is all our own doing and thank god it is going to be a thing of the past.

The likes of Degen was called on here by so many, you could add Jovanovic, Poulsen and Konchesky amongst many others.

We are talking ordinary football fans seeing the accident happening yet the club continued on making mistake, after mistake.

Bad scouting, management and ownership have bleed us dry. Hence we find ourselves in the position we are in and will have to pay wages - or part off - to get rid, in some cases.

I seem to have walked away from my last post without adding the point...

what I was going to say was I haven't seen much of him but he reminds me of Ronaldo of a few years ago, he falls down a lot when up against deep set teams and looks great against teams that push high as he can dribble at speed.

Guest PurpleNose

He'd suit Real Madrid more than Barcelona. A team of defensive players and attacking players, rather than one with a footballing philosophy right throughout the team.

Wonder if Barcelona will still sign Rossi.