You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2011

Kopite Pete

Turn it in Nick.

You are just as bad as the rest of them, you just want to show off with our signings rather than appreciate what they are and why we've signed them.

People just want to be able to say to their mates 'look who we've signed' rather than even think about the bigger picture.

If Kenny wants Henderson and Jones then thats good enough for me.

If you didnt make such ridiculous statement like they will be in the team for the next 10 years you might have a point.

My personal view neither of those players would be in our starting line up for 2012-2013 season.

However until someone signs no reason for people like you to get your knickers in a twist.

Some people need to realise this isn't RAWK. You are allowed to have a negative opinion on prospective signings. Most of the posts against signing Henderson or Dann or whoever have been balanced with people giving what they think are valid reasons why they don't want them.

If people think over £12mil is too much for Downing or we overpayed for Carroll so what? It would be pretty fucking boring if no one had an opinion and we all just trotted out the ' trust in Kenny ' line. It is possible to trust in him and have a, seemingly, different opinion on players to him.

This is all just speculation anyway; the truth is no one knows who we are going to be signing. If I could put some of our speculated targets into groups to make a point :

Group A : Mata, Hazard, Aguero, Sanchez, Young.

Group B : Dann, Adam, McCarthy, Henderson, Downing, Enrique, Jones.

Group C : Wickham, Oxlade-Chamberlain.

Group D : Friedel, Marveux, other freebies

If we sign say one player from group A, 2 from group B and one each from group C and D I think most would be happy.

On the other hand, if we sign 3 players from Group B and 2 from group D then I think people will, legitimately, have concerns over whether that is the best use of the money we have available.

So yeah, let's wait and see, but there is nothing to stop us talking about it in the mean time.

Just my opinion don't no one be having a ' tantrum ' on me!

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Nah this is the worst i've seen. Tantrums because there's a rumour we might bid for Henderson? And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

I've been baffled by how you've posted on the last couple of pages, so I'll ask the same question others have asked, but you've not really been able to answer: What tantrums? I think I've read all the posts in this thread, and nobody is really throwing a tantrum. A lot of people are expressing their concern at spending so much money on players that have yet to show they're worth top money.

I think that's what internet forums are for, aren't they; for discussing the merits of potential transfers of players that the media say we're interested in and whether we think those transfers are the right move for the club we support?

Constantly bringing up the Carroll signing as a stick to beat the owners with is fucking laughable too.

What I think you've done there is make something up.

If somebody says

" Carroll is a shite overhyped english player and we've been ripped off and the same is happening with Downing/Henderson/Adam. [smug] I thought fsg's transfer 'ethos' was to sign the best up and coming talent. [smug]"

Well, 'if' somebody says it is entirely different from you saying that people have said it. I don't think anybody has said that that he is 'shit', have they? If they have, it's certainly not 'constant'.

We need to look at Andy Carroll with a bit of objectivity. At the time he signed, he was the most expensive player ever to be purchased by a Premier League club. What people want for that is world-class quality. Whether Andy will turn into that, I don't know. What's certain is that spending that massive amount on somebody as raw as Carroll is a gamble that has made people uneasy.

If anything, I praise the owners for backing the manager's vision. They gave a huge signal that they'd back Kenny and Comolli.

Also, don't people realise that if Kenny thought - let's be hypothetical here - Mata was better than Downing (i'm not saying he isn't) or Higuain was better than carroll FOR US that he would be signing them instead? Like i say, hypothetical.

Of course he would, and the owners look to be backing what Kenny thinks, but we shouldn't pretend that just because it's Kenny and Comolli are doing the buying that they can't waste a massive amount of money. Not should we not comment on it if we think they're about to. It doesn't mean that we don't think the owners should back them to the hilt.

If that ends up being Downing and Henderson then i can't begin to imagine what it will be like on here come september.

Well, I'll be disappointed if we spend upward of £30-35m on those two. It is a massive amount of money and we need to ask whether or not that money has been used effectively. The ownership will ask the same question come the end of next season if the players don't get top 4. Is Henderson going to be £15m better for us than Kuyt? Is Downing going to be £20m better than Maxi? I guess not, but only time will tell.

Some people need to realise this isn't RAWK. You are allowed to have a negative opinion on prospective signings. Most of the posts against signing Henderson or Dann or whoever have been balanced with people giving what they think are valid reasons why they don't want them.

If people think over £12mil is too much for Downing or we overpayed for Carroll so what? It would be pretty fucking boring if no one had an opinion and we all just trotted out the ' trust in Kenny ' line. It is possible to trust in him and have a' date=' seemingly, different opinion on players to him.

This is all just speculation anyway; the truth is no one knows who we are going to be signing. If I could put some of our speculated targets into groups to make a point :

Group A : Mata, Hazard, Aguero, Sanchez, Young.

Group B : Dann, Adam, McCarthy, Henderson, Downing, Enrique, Jones.

Group C : Wickham, Oxlade-Chamberlain.

Group D : Friedel, Marveux, other freebies

If we sign say one player from group A, 2 from group B and one each from group C and D I think most would be happy.

On the other hand, if we sign 3 players from Group B and 2 from group D then I think people will, legitimately, have concerns over whether that is the best use of the money we have available.

So yeah, let's wait and see, but there is nothing to stop us talking about it in the mean time.

Just my opinion don't no one be having a ' tantrum ' on me![/quote']

Young is not group A imo. he belongs in B, a steady proven premiership player,not world class, not going to be world class.

but otherwise I agree with most of what you have said.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Young is not group A imo. he belongs in B, a steady proven premiership player,not world class, not going to be world class.

but otherwise I agree with most of what you have said.

Agree. I'd say Henderson, McCarthy and Jones should be in group C. Not that I don't think any of those people would be good purchases. Other than Enrique - who is very good - we could do with more out of C than B.

Hmmm, not quite sure that anybody has written Caroll off, nor am I quite sure that anyone is in the process of throwing their season ticket at Kenny because we are 'linked' with Henderson, Downing, Adam and Dann!

But they do have reservations about spending 20 million pounds on Downing, 30 million on Henderson and Jones, and in all fairness 35 million on Andy Caroll! And the 'Just because he is English' argument is pathetic.

We do have to wait until the transfer window closes, and we don't have European football to attract anyone (although they wouldn't have played in the UEFA cup anyhow!), but we need 6 players at least for the coming season, six players who will improve the team from the one that played against Villa. But we also need a bit of ambition, English players have always been overpriced and only an idiot would deny that, and the argument that they know how to play in the premiership is becoming less relevant when you look at the impact of Suarez! Give me Mata and Henderson and I will be happy (although I would prefer McCarthy), give me Downing and Henderson less so!

we won't buy that many players unless we sell some. The wage bill is far too high. I would guess the most we could expect would be 4 new players unless there's a lot out of the door, but that will be easier said than done. Nobody wants aquilani, perhaps nobody wants cole considering his salary, the greek is happy with us and has another 12 months, who'd buy agger or aurelio and anything after that and you are into the core dozen or so players who saw us through the end of the season.

EDIT: and after reading the rest of the thread i forgot about jovanovich, same applies to him as cole.

I agree with that but also believe we will be able to shift these lads on and be able o add half a dozen new faces.

Agree. I'd say Henderson, McCarthy and Jones should be in group C. Not that I don't think any of those people would be good purchases. Other than Enrique - who is very good - we could do with more out of C than B.

Maybe so, everyone in group B though has time in the Premier league; group C was meant to demonstrate potential without Premier league experience.

Jones looks like he has lots of potential so i can see why the King would want him, but henderson?? I just dont' get it, the kid looks exceptionally average and ive seen nothing that says he's going to be any better than average. I'm hoping the rumours about us willing to spend so much on him isn't true as that would be a waste of money when there are other positions that should be a priority.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Maybe so, everyone in group B though has time in the Premier league; group C was meant to demonstrate potential without Premier league experience.

Ah, yes, fair point. I guess I was looking for it from a purely potential point of view. Still think we should be looking more at potential than Downing or Adam. Not that they're bad players, but because I'd sooner spend 15m on somebody like Jones, for example, than I would 20m on Downing or 10m on Adam. In terms of quality, not comparable in position of course.

I'd happily sign Enrique, Downing, Dann and Adam (none of which are "world class") so long as we sign one of the "group A" players as well that somebody posted earlier. If we want to make the Carroll signing work, we should be signing Adam and Downing as they will provide the ammunition during open play and from set pieces. It will add another dimension to our team and enable us to turn over a lot of the shite we struggled against last season.

Selling the following players would be good too- Agger, The Greek, Konchesky, Jovanovich, Poulsen, Cole, Ngog and Aquilani. That would free up resources nicely.

Edited by Liam

Yes thank God he got rid of Rafa for setting up these kinds of ridiculous deals.

Rafa is very culpable in this but there really should have been someone there to say there is no fucking way we are paying Jovanovic 120k per week and let's also not forget that Cole was Purslow's signing and not anything to do with any manager of the club.

Rafa

Purslow

Macia

If any one of them had done their job properly when it came to signing players we would have a healthier playing squad now even with the cunts we had in charge.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
JohnnyH, one simple question.

Who were the brains behind the Jovanovic deal, Rafa or Purslow?

Yeah, it was Rafas ideal signing. He wanted a freebie rather than wanting to buy a world class player. Nothing to do with restrictions.

Looks like Kenny is trying to recreate his Blackburn side with a strong British flavour. The only problem is, you wouldn't win anything with those players these days, with the exception of Shearer. Moreover, that side was greater than the sum of its parts but it wasn't a dynasty team - it won the League once and then bombed out because once the 'groove' of the team had been destroyed the players weren't actually that good.

In terms of building teams, Ferguson is the benchmark. He's done it time and again. A few of his notable traits seems to be - when there is quality spend big. Complement top quality with decentish players who have the potential to improve. Don't pay over the odds with the British premium unless the player is outstanding and if there is nothing in the market, don't enter it. Suarez looks to fulfil most of this criteria, Carroll looks to be the antithesis of it. Therefore, if we want success, more signings like Suarez less like Carroll.

Who cares who set up/negotiated the deals? They were bad business and the club has to deal with the problem. I think loans and free transfers are the only way we are going to get rid of Cole and Jova' and as for the likes of Degen and El-Zhar I guess we should just pay them off - I think they are both in the final year of their deals. If we could get rid of these 4 now and two of Poulson, Konch', and Brad Jones then we can call it a good summer just by trimming the squad.