You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2011

Kopite Pete

McCarthy doesn't really have the pace to play out wide.

He's similar to the Gerrard of 2-3 years ago in his style. Great vision, great technique, very good engine, good passer, I'd say he's more disciplined than Gerrard is and can probably play in central midfield as well.

He doesn't have the long passing range Adam has, nothing near it, but for me he's a much better option. He'll cost similar money and I see him as someone who can step in for Gerrard when he calls it a day. He's still a young prospect more than anything, so he can add depth to the squad in midfield with a view to more than that in the future.

Adam for me is the kind of signings we've been making for ages and should avoid, average squad players, often one-season wonders.

McCarthy is ace, bit of a blend of spearing/lucas/gerrard, very central midfeildy but can 'do a job' out left and seems solid enough there, balanced, excellent positioning, strong and has real influence on games, good brain, can do everything except maybe doesn't score as much as he should although is more engine room minded well better option than Adam if I had to choose between the two.

I think one of the best things about McCarthy I like is his maturity, to come into the prem at 18/19 and effortlessly be able to dominate games against better teams without a fuss. He made Gerrard look like an old man in his early games when we played them shows if he can improve a lot then skies the limit for him. He can do the DM role I'm sure he just seems to push up a bit higher than a Hamman like role but I'm sure he could do well there as he is fairly disciplined and gets stuck in. He's the real deal for me.

It wouldn't surprise me if all of our transfers this summer are all premier league players. Adam, Downing, Dann and Enrique to name a few targets. I think Kenny is trying to rebuild his Blackburn side again. Which may not be a bad thing.

I doubt all our signings will be but we could do worse than having a proven Premier League spine with the odd worldy from abroad in there.

None of them have really proven themselves to be class premier league players consistently.

And the day you require more than half your side to be actual class players is the day footie goes even more mental.

Solid and dependable with the odd bit of quality is what is required to be successful.

And the day you require more than half your side to be actual class players is the day footie goes even more mental.

Solid and dependable with the odd bit of quality is what is required to be successful.

We have loads of solid players as it is. We need more class.

We have loads of solid players as it is. We need more class.

We don't, we really don't.

We have 11 players in our squad who've had more than a handful or games and could be classed as at minimum solid and dependable players.

We need around 20-25, including some youngsters, to be competitive on all fronts.

I'd be made up if we got McCarthy, he's better than Rodwell who's probably going to the Mancs for 25 million.

Both of them are massively overrated. Even Wigan fans are surprised he's been quoted at 15m+, most of them on Wigan's forums reckon he's worth around 9m at best. A distinct lack of quality CMs available around at the moment.

I'd be made up if we got McCarthy, he's better than Rodwell who's probably going to the Mancs for 25 million.

He is the one player out of all the Basura we have been linked with that Id be quite happy if we signed because potentially he could be a world beater and has huge room to improve wheras Downing, Adam and Enrique you know what your getting slightly above average.

The fact there isnt one single transfer rumour this Sunday has to be a good thing as that indicates no one has a clue who are targets are.

The major story if true is Modric to Chelsea or Manu and at that price he should be one of out top 3 signings this summer.

Getting Spurs to sell to us will be difficult and with them wanting Berbatov back UTD looks like his destination.

Modric and Young in that Utd team isnt good news for the rest of us