You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2011

Kopite Pete

I still think next season it will be a whole new ballgame in terms of pressure.

You're also pretty much assuming that we'll be the only team to improve our squad. Chelsea and City will spend big again. Arsenal might strengthen and make some good defensive signings. United will definitely strengthen.

Point is, if this is the kind of summer's business we're going to have (signing bucketloads of average British talent from mid table-bottom sides), I can't see us having a squad anywhere near as good as those 4. And then it's just unfair on Kenny to expect him to get it to 4th, it's unfair to expect him to work magic with a mediocre squad again.

Barnes (Watford), Beardlsey (Newcastle), Aldridge (Oxford), and Houghton (Oxford) didn't turn out too badly.

Obviously we have no plans to sell anybody this summer it this is our approach to sellling players

Everyone else vastly inflates the fees for their players, why can't we?

He'll probably end up going for 3m or something, which is still good business.

Who gives a shit? It's their loss.

Mata would be my ideal signing, I'd rather him over Hazard/Sanchez/Aguero.

But that's been used as justification for not signing less glamorous players by most of us at some point...

Anyway, I think, as has been said, that it's ultimately going to come down to whether or not he wants to sign for us given our current position. Who knows? Maybe Redknapp will once again hitch a ride from our scouting department and make him a target.

But that's been used as justification for not signing less glamorous players by most of us at some point...

Anyway, I think, as has been said, that it's ultimately going to come down to whether or not he wants to sign for us given our current position. Who knows? Maybe Redknapp will once again hitch a ride from our scouting department and make him a target.

Players like Downing sure, but Mata is an unreal talent, if you watch La Liga you'll see what I mean.

Redknapp can try all he wants, even with Champions League football Spurs couldn't be the more attractive side to join.

Pfff. Dunno what all this conjecture bullshit is about. Fuckin well obvious who we're gonna sign! Not like we've been linked with Coentrao, Baines, McCarthy, Payet, Hazard, Mata, Samba, Jones, Lee, Cahill, Aguero, Gomez, Hulk, Marveaux, Cissokho, Wickham, Dann, Vargas, Friedel, Bojan, Enrique, Adam, Parker, Negredo, Barton, Lukaku, Izaguirre, Menez, Downing, Elia, Armero, Rolando, Defour, Kranjcar, Ndinga, Praet, Lennon, Larsson, Brunt, Long, Lavezzi, Gervinho, Diego, Witsel, Sakho, Johnson, Marin, Bale, De Bruyne, Young, Gameiro, Jeffren, Taarabt, Perotti, N'Zogbia, Clichy, Afellay, Coutinho and John Arne Riise or anything. Ya fuckin spacks.

Pfff. Dunno what all this conjecture bullshit is about. Fuckin well obvious who we're gonna sign! Not like we've been linked with Coentrao, Baines, McCarthy, Payet, Hazard, Mata, Samba, Jones, Lee, Cahill, Aguero, Gomez, Hulk, Marveaux, Cissokho, Wickham, Dann, Vargas, Friedel, Bojan, Enrique, Adam, Parker, Negredo, Barton, Lukaku, Izaguirre, Menez, Downing, Elia, Armero, Rolando, Defour, Kranjcar, Ndinga, Praet, Lennon, Larsson, Brunt, Long, Lavezzi, Gervinho, Diego, Witsel, Sakho, Johnson, Marin, Bale, De Bruyne, Young, Gameiro, Jeffren, Taarabt, Perotti, N'Zogbia, Clichy, Afellay, Coutinho and John Arne Riise or anything. Ya fuckin spacks.

blogs_200812120015189_funny_word_0616_373770_poll_xlarge.jpeg

Makes me sad to think how amazing things could be if we had those 4, because it's just never going to happen. The years those players would have too.

It's ok to dream every now and then I suppose.

Guest the boy

I don't know a lot about Mata but it seems TGTBT. If he's so good, where are the other teams after him?

Same could be said for Suarez & David Silva. Both of whom have had terrific seasons and should improve in the coming seasons. Look also to Hernandez at United.

Arsenal and Liverpool both keen on signing Lille striker Gervinho | Football | guardian.co.uk

Arsène Wenger wants to sign Lille's Ivory Coast striker Gervinho this summer but he faces competition from Liverpool. The Arsenal manager is a long-term admirer of Gervinho and he has placed him prominently on his list of targets.

Wenger has said that "for the first time in a while, I will be very active" on the transfer market yet the deal for Gervinho could hinge on his ability to sell Andrey Arshavin.

He is open to offers for the Russia forward, who has been a disappointment this season, and he would like to swell his transfer kitty by recouping the £15m that the club paid for him in the winter window of 2009.

Gervinho, 24, has made it clear that he wants to play Champions League football next season, which he would be able to do if he stayed at Lille, who have won the French title for the first time since 1954.

But the prospect of a move to the Premier League appeals, with Liverpool also an attractive option. Gervinho intends to make a firm decision on his future after Ivory Coast's Africa Cup of Nations qualifier against Benin on 5 June.

Don't watch much European footy anymore mate, so any names that'd I'd suggest wouldn't be much more than a shot in the dark. (Always though Simon Kjaar was an overrated soft shite though.)

However, from the British names suggested on this thread, and from what I have seen of those lads - Cahill, Shawcross, Dann, Taylor etc - I firmly believe that none of them are significantly better than those we've already got, and not worth spalshing daft money on.

Save it until the real deal does come along, because in football, one thing is always certain : the next bright, young thing is always just around the corner, waiting to be discovered.

Theres a good chance his name is Martin Kelly

Surely we have to look at who are rivals are likely to sign as well. Last season's top four are without doubt going to sign better players than Dann, Adam and Downing so it's a moot point saying Enrique and Downing will improve us, what's the point in getting an extra 10 points next season if the team's above us get an extra 12? We need real quality and the only player we have been linked with recently that fits the bill is Mata.

How good did you think Smalling was before he moved to the scum? I reckon the scouts and Dalglish can see the ability in Dann, the gamble as always if they can bring all of that ability out. Xabi could have gone to Arsenal and regressed in 2004. Theo Walcott may have turned out entirely differently under Benitez and his coaching staff.

I don't know a lot about Mata but it seems TGTBT. If he's so good, where are the other teams after him?

Where were all the other bidding teams when we signed Suarez? And speculation of a late 'Arry bid just to piss us off doesn't count.