You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2011

Kopite Pete

I think that - to avoid disappointment - you shouldn't pin all your hopes on this signing.

Add in a couple of more likely signings to help soften the inevitable blow.

What are your thougts on Downing, Adam, Dann and Enrique?

And don't say you'd prefer Sanchez, Subotic, Hazard, Khedira and Coentrao

Can't speak for Funeee but in my view with only 3 competitions to worry about, we should be looking for quality to add to the team's ability & not improve the squad.

I only really see Enrique as a first team starter out of those four, at a communal cost of @ £45m

Get Enrique, Matuidi & Mata at a similar sort of cost & we are much stronger.

I'd be slightly disappointed if our summer signings were Dann, Downing, Enrique and Adam.

I see them all as squad players.

Exactly. That would be the equivalent of treading water. The only positive thing is that nobody knows yet what we'll do, so I'm clinging to the belief that Kenny wouldn't throw our cash away like that. Those players have the look of 2002 and 2009 about them.

Aguero.

*stamps foot and folds arms*

I just can't see it happening. Seems like a big-money transfer that reeks of Chelsea. I can see Abramovich buying him and dictating that him and Torres will start every game.

Would love to see Baines playing for us, but I can just can't see that happening either. Everyone would love to see Aguero, Baines, Coentrao, Hazard, Alexis Sanchez etc coming over, but we need to be realistic here.

We've got so many positions that needs strengthening. My guess is that we end up with Downing, Adam, P. Jones, Friedel, Enrique. And Mata as our marquee signing this summer. I've got a hunch about Mata, so much that I've put 50£ on it happening on Unibet :whistle:

I just can't see it happening. Seems like a big-money transfer that reeks of Chelsea. I can see Abramovich buying him and dictating that him and Torres will start every game.

Would love to see Baines playing for us, but I can just can't see that happening either. Everyone would love to see Aguero, Baines, Coentrao, Hazard, Alexis Sanchez etc coming over, but we need to be realistic here.

We've got so many positions that needs strengthening. My guess is that we end up with Downing, Adam, P. Jones, Friedel, Enrique. And Mata as our marquee signing this summer. I've got a hunch about Mata, so much that I've put 50£ on it happening on Unibet :whistle:

Aguero will be off to Madrid (Real). Guaranteed.

Really?

Dann may not be the first choice defender, agreed.

Probably same for Adam.

But Enrique and Downing will walk into our team.

I think Johnson will play a few games at left back or else Kelly will never play.

I think Suarez will start a lot of games coming in from the left.

Surely we have to look at who are rivals are likely to sign as well. Last season's top four are without doubt going to sign better players than Dann, Adam and Downing so it's a moot point saying Enrique and Downing will improve us, what's the point in getting an extra 10 points next season if the team's above us get an extra 12? We need real quality and the only player we have been linked with recently that fits the bill is Mata.

Dalglish given green light to chase £39m Argentinian assassin

Liverpool – Athletico Madrid chief executive says Real Madrid won’t sign Sergio Aguero

By Vanessa Keller May 26, 2011

Aguero is wanted by multiple clubs, but apparently not Real Madrid. (©PAphotos)

Picture GalleryNew

Premier League pictures

Liverpool pictures

Minguel Angel Gil Marin [Florentino Perez] has told me he has no intention of signing Aguero and I do not doubt him

Athletico Madrid chief executive Minguel Angel Gil Marin insists Real Madrid won’t be making a deal with Sergio Aguero.

Gil Marin said that the relationship between Athletico Madrid and Real Madrid means that Aguero won’t move between the clubs.

“[Florentino Perez] has told me he has no intention of signing Aguero and I do not doubt him,” Gil Marin told Spanish newspaper AS.

“Firstly, due to the good relationship we have personally and secondly, due to the clubs' relationship.''

The news that Aguero is no longer moving to Real will no doubt excite Liverpool manager Kenny Dalglish, who has been connected with the Argentinian on a number of occasions.

Aguero has a clause in his contract which states that if a club is willing to offer £39 million, according to the Metro, it will trigger a release in the striker’s contract to allow him to leave.

Chelsea is also in the mix for the star, with Roman Abramovich reportedly seeing Aguero as a good partner for Fernando Torres, and a replacement for Didier Drogba should the striker choose to exit the club.

Manchester City have also shown interest in Aguero, though Liverpool are said to be front runners for the 22-year-old’s signature.

The Aguero deal is not happening. Can we stop mentioning it. All the journalists that know everything thats going on in Spain have said he is not interested.

He is a player at a club in a very similar position to us, neither here nor there. There would be no logic for him to come to us.

People on twitter and the likes say we have signed Adam, im chuffed with that. He has amazing passing ability and will fit right into a Kenny style of football team. We are in talks with Mata as well which will be a brilliant coup. Remember, United brought only Carrick one season and they won the league. We dont need big names or anything. We need players that fit the system and will play well together with what we already have.

I think Downing would do well if he came and do not rule out young either as that is not a for gone conclusion.

Be a bit patient and we will see good players coming through and next season our team will be stronger and will play better.

Really?

Dann may not be the first choice defender, agreed.

Probably same for Adam.

But Enrique and Downing will walk into our team.

Downing might walk into our current team but he wouldn't walk into any top 4 side, so if that's what we're aiming for we need much better.

I'd be extremely disappointed of we signed those 4. I actually rate Dann and and Enrique and wouldn't mind them, but Downing and Adam as well? That's just overdoing it with the mediocrity.

People are very optimistic but were it Rafa or Hodgson who would sign these players we'd all be pissed off and you know it whether you'll admit it or not, because this is the kind of summer's business that always got people's knickers in a twist, buying a shitload of average to decent squad players who are "a good addition to the squad", or in rare cases "improve on what we have", which actually means fuck all since Jimmy fucking Kébé would be an improvement on what we have.

If Hodgson would do it we'd tear him apart, this sort of raid on all the mid-table and bottom sides for strictly British, pretty average talent is what we were afraid of when he was in charge. No chance of top 4 next season if those are our signings, even if we add Mata and someone else.

I'm still clinging on to some hope that no one actually knows anything and these won't be our signings, but it's looking like a pretty faint hope right now.

I don't get this "no chance of top four if we improve four positions in our team and deepen the squad" business.

If Kenny had been in charge last summer we would have had top four this season, with this squad. His results since taking over prove it.

Put your trust in the second most successful living manager in English football. He will not let us down.

Anyway, as I said earlier, anyone thinking the new owners won't want to make at least one huge signing in their first summer is dreaming.

I don't get this "no chance of top four if we improve four positions in our team and deepen the squad" business.

If Kenny had been in charge last summer we would have had top four this season, with this squad. His results since taking over prove it.

Put your trust in the second most successful living manager in English football. He will not let us down.

Anyway, as I said earlier, anyone thinking the new owners won't want to make at least one huge signing in their first summer is dreaming.

My thoughts exactly