You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2011

Kopite Pete

I'd don't go for that line of reasoning really.

If I asked you what we lack currently in the squad, would your first answer be "width"?

Or would it be a "world class players with skill and pace"?

I would say width is pretty high up in terms of what we are looking for. It doesn't have to be either width or " world class players with skill and pace " it can be both.

If Downing is our only attacking buy then fair enough; that isn't good enough. But Downing bought in conjunction with Mata or hazard would be ace and really improve our options.

If Downing is bought as a squad player rather than our main attacking buy then I will be happy with that.

Well we had width under Riera but we paid what 8 or 9 million for him?

I don't mind paying the same for Downing but it'd be madness to pay 20 odd million which Villa will probably demand. I think Downing is a good player, I have no problem with him at the right price.

Anyone else get the impression that Arry has managed to financially cripple another club? Freidel, Van Nistelrooy, Philip Nevile! Not exactly a stellar list of signings is it? I wouldn't mind betting Spurs have a poor season, which will be glossed over by the English press (the financial crisis will have nothing to do with him) so that he can walk into the England job!

Oh, and when are we going to sign Mata? Starting to annoy me now!

Echo linking us with Scott Dann

Liverpool FC considering move for Birmingham City defender Scott Dann - News - Liverpool FC - Liverpool Echo

LIVERPOOL are considering a move for highly-rated Birmingham City defender Scott Dann.

The Reds are in the market for a centre-back this summer and the lifelong Kopite, who would cost around £10million, is on their shortlist.

Kirkdale-born Dann is certain to leave St Andrew’s following Birmingham’s relegation from the Premier League.

The 24-year-old has attracted interest from a number of other top flight clubs including Arsenal, Sunderland and West Brom.

However, it is understood the former Liverpool season ticket holder has his heart set on a switch to Anfield.

Dann missed the last four months of the campaign due to a torn hamstring he suffered against West Ham in January. His absence was a contributing factor in the relegation of Alex McLeish’s side.

He has since made a full recovery but will resist Birmingham’s attempts to retain his services.

Liverpool have also been linked with Gary Cahill but with Bolton demanding around £18million, Dann would represent both a cheaper and younger defensive option

Dominant in the air and comfortable in possession, Dann would also fit in with the philosophy of Reds owners Fenway Sports Group to only pay hefty transfer fees for players who would have a high resale value.

The former Archbishop Beck High School pupil was snapped up by Walsall at 16 after being spotted playing in the Anfield Junior Sunday League.

Loan spells at Danish side Koge BK and non-league minnows Redditch and Hednesford followed before he established himself with the Saddlers.

The 6ft 2ins defender moved to Coventry City in 2008 and was soon made skipper by boss Chris Coleman.

In June 2009 Birmingham City swooped for £3.5million and he formed a formidable defensive partnership with Roger Johnson.

Liverpool boss Kenny Dalglish is looking to bring in a centre-back to provide competition for Jamie Carragher and Martin Skrtel. The Reds need cover as Daniel Agger has had a succession of injury problems and Sotirios Kyrgiakos is likely to leave Anfield this summer.

Meanwhile, Blackpool’s decision to activate a clause in Charlie Adam’s contract which in theory gives him another 12 months at Bloomfield Road won’t prevent him from moving on this summer.

Liverpool failed in a bid to sign him in January but remain keen on securing the services of the Scotland midfielder, who starred in his country’s 3-1 victory over Wales in the Carling Nations Cup.

Pepe Reina has been named in a 23-man Spain squad for their international friendlies with the United States and Venezuela next month.

Haven't seen that much of him if i am honest so any thoughts on him???

Not so long ago my mate was telling me how he read on a forum about someone bumping into Ian Ayre. The person had asked Ian if he could tell him some of our summer transfer targets. Ian said that he couldn't tell him anything BUT one of the names would blow people's socks off and was someone every single Liverpool fan would be happy with.

I take stuff like that with a pinch of salt but reading what that Oddball has said reminded me of it.

No doubt its a load of bollocks but it's also nice to be excited for a change.

I think if you have Carroll who you can use as an option B sometimes, then you need someone in the squad who can supply the bullets. It can be the fullbacks if you don't have that kind of winger, but you need someone.

At the same time, we are short of players who can carry the ball at pace and beat a man.

We probably need both things in the squad, hence why I would be happy enough with Downing if we ALSO got someone with skill on the ball and pace.

We need pace, and as Zigackly said, someone who can carry the ball without the need to check back and play it safe!

A front three of Caroll, Suarez and Kuyt should be enough for a domestic season, maybe NGoo can step up? Downing did play well on Sunday, but Mata is a better player and would probably cost the same. Hazzard would be a nugget, an absolute belter of a signing.

And I like the idea of Scott Dann!

Guest TesticleOReilly
Anyone else get the impression that Arry has managed to financially cripple another club? Freidel, Van Nistelrooy, Philip Nevile! Not exactly a stellar list of signings is it? I wouldn't mind betting Spurs have a poor season, which will be glossed over by the English press (the financial crisis will have nothing to do with him) so that he can walk into the England job!

Oh, and when are we going to sign Mata? Starting to annoy me now!

I doubt Levy would allow that to happen, Spurs have always spent big, long before 'appy 'arry got there. More likely is 'arry would spit his dummy after being told to work with what he's got and sell-to-buy. There are a lot of rumours that the majority of the Spurs board want Redknapp out.

I'd don't go for that line of reasoning really.

If I asked you what we lack currently in the squad, would your first answer be "width"?

Or would it be a "world class players with skill and pace"?

I agree with you... but we've finished outside of the CL for the second year running. If a CL teams comes in for a 'world class' target of ours, then we'll likely not get our man.

Besides, I don't think we'll only sign one wide player this off-season.

I would say width is pretty high up in terms of what we are looking for. It doesn't have to be either width or " world class players with skill and pace " it can be both.

If Downing is our only attacking buy then fair enough; that isn't good enough. But Downing bought in conjunction with Mata or hazard would be ace and really improve our options.

If Downing is bought as a squad player rather than our main attacking buy then I will be happy with that.

Yeah, I wasn't saying go out and make Downing our top target or anything. I want something better brought in (Mata will do just fine).

I doubt Levy would allow that to happen, Spurs have always spent big, long before 'appy 'arry got there. More likely is 'arry would spit his dummy after being told to work with what he's got and sell-to-buy. There are a lot of rumours that the majority of the Spurs board want Redknapp out.

This is the highest that Spurs' wage bill has ever been. I know Levy was blowing a gasket about it earlier this season.

Why would they want Redknapp out? He's been their best manager in a long time.

Saying that, Spurs are Spurs after all.

I think you are probably right, but there are some contradictions in their transfer policy, lets be honest Arry's two big signings Keane and Defoe can't get in the team!

Little or no criticism of him! Would be interesting to see who they do sign, without selling anyone.

Guest TesticleOReilly
This is the highest that Spurs' wage bill has ever been. I know Levy was blowing a gasket about it earlier this season.

Since 2004, Spurs have been one of the biggest spenders in Europe, a stat that mostly goes under the radar with our lovely Southern press. Since Harry came in their wages have, as you say, gone through the roof. Which is odd, 'cause it's not like Redknapp has a history of paying inflated wages and prices for players. It's almost as if some of that cash is making it's way into his pocket via the medium of agents. Next he'll be investigated by the taxman ... ...

Liverpool FC target Eljero Elia keen on Anfield move this summer

http://www.crunchsports.com/category/Soccer/Liverpool-FC-target-Eljero-Elia-keen-on-Anfield-move-this-summer-201105250016/

Eljero Elia(credit: Wikipedia)

Crunch Sports Staff- 25 May 2011

Liverpool are reportedly still keen on signing Hamburg winger Eljero Elia this summer

A number of clubs have shown interest in the 24-year-old in recent weeks, with Juventus also believed to be keen and both Bayern Munich and Wolfsburg monitoring the Netherlands international.

The Reds are believed to be hopeful that international team-mate Dirk Kuyt can convince Elia to move to Anfield, but Hamburg's sporting director Bastian Reinhardt recently warned that he won't sell the player on the cheap.

Reinhardt's comments came after the Merseysiders were originally believed to have valued Elia at around £5m - less than half the amount the German side are looking for.

In a recent interview, Elia admitted he was unhappy with being left out of the side, saying that he was "a player who needs confidence."

Although things have improved for the Dutchman at Hamburg under new coach Michael Oenning, a move to England is still of interest.

German publication Bild recently reported that Liverpool manager Kenny Dalglish was preparing to make a €12million bid when the transfer window reopens and according to NUsport, Elia is keen on making the move to Merseyside.

Nice that transfer threads are once again so optimistic even if you dont really believe we will sign Aguero, Mata etc deep down just a little bit of your soul knows its possible.

Yep, in a nutshell!

Last year it was Paul Konchesky, a list of free transfers and Paulson. This year we dare to dream of Mata, Hazzard and Stewart Downing!

LIVERPOOL are considering a move for highly-rated Birmingham City defender Scott Dann.

The Reds are in the market for a centre-back this summer and the lifelong Kopite, who would cost around £10million, is on their shortlist.

Kirkdale-born Dann is certain to leave St Andrew’s following Birmingham’s relegation from the Premier League.

The 24-year-old has attracted interest from a number of other top flight clubs including Arsenal, Sunderland and West Brom.

However, it is understood the former Liverpool season ticket holder has his heart set on a switch to Anfield.

Dann missed the last four months of the campaign due to a torn hamstring he suffered against West Ham in January. His absence was a contributing factor in the relegation of Alex McLeish’s side.

He has since made a full recovery but will resist Birmingham’s attempts to retain his services.

Liverpool have also been linked with Gary Cahill but with Bolton demanding around £18million, Dann would represent both a cheaper and younger defensive option.

Liverpool FC considering move for Birmingham City defender Scott Dann - News - Liverpool FC - Liverpool Echo