You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2011

Kopite Pete

At lot of people in football say he's a bad egg though and a moody fuck.

His temperament is a concern, but he seems to have got his head down and grafted this season. He is one moody miserable bastard though and never smiles. Good player though.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
On todays evidence our most important summer signing is an upgrade on our 35m£ striker.

Just f**k off will you he was only just back from injury today, he really shouldnt have started, he was loooking the part just before he got injured. Judge him next season after he's been to the u21 champioship and fully fit and with hopefully a decent wigner supplying good crosses.

I agree that he shouldn't be judged on yesterday's (pretty dreadful) performance. He's been in and out of the team and joined us whilst recovering from injury. So he has effectively been playing whilst not match fit/sharp in every game for us.

However, I don't agree that he was looking that part for us at any point. He has offered virtually nothing yet. He took a couple of goals well, but other than that, he hasn't hit the ground running.

That said, he does need time and other players around him. He's a player that needs service. He's not going to beat people regularly like Torres did. He's not going to pick the ball up with 50 yards to go and terrify defences in that way. We need tricky, fast players around him to do that. Deliveries from wide and men making space for him.

The feat I have is that we end up next season with N'Zogbia and Downing as our main threats in those areas. We need real quality now, not players that drift through their careers - despite having some talent - because it'll do fuck all but cost us loads of money. We've been down that road too many times.

The feat I have is that we end up next season with N'Zogbia and Downing as our main threats in those areas. We need real quality now, not players that drift through their careers - despite having some talent - because it'll do fuck all but cost us loads of money. We've been down that road too many times.

I don't necessarily agree there. As long as you have maybe five or six positions filled with real quality, it's more about the system than the players, which is why the Mancs always have a fair few average players yet still win the title on a regular basis. People are then shocked when such players leave and look average.

I don't necessarily agree there. As long as you have maybe five or six positions filled with real quality, it's more about the system than the players, which is why the Mancs always have a fair few average players yet still win the title on a regular basis. People are then shocked when such players leave and look average.

Well i agree, but i do think, especially in this league, that one of those five or six players have to be a wide attacking player.

We've had the best central line in the league, it got us close but not the whole way. We have been crying out for a top class wide player for over a decade.

When we got Kewell i thought that we'd have finally adressed it, but no.

We havent had a good enough wide player since Barnes or McManaman.

So what realistic options are there for central midfield ?

Adam still ?

Think he can be real good if he gets his fitness under controll.

Modric would be a dream signing, but surely a CL club from either England or abroad will come in for him...?

M'Vila ?

Tho is he the type we need, i still think we need to replace Alonso, someone to control the tempo and to get us started...

So what realistic options are there for central midfield ?

Adam still ?

Think he can be real good if he gets his fitness under controll.

Modric would be a dream signing, but surely a CL club from either England or abroad will come in for him...?

M'Vila ?

Tho is he the type we need, i still think we need to replace Alonso, someone to control the tempo and to get us started...

Yeah, My idealistic view is that the two CM players can sit deep if they want, but one or both should be able to dictate our play.

One the best partnerships I've seen in the Premiership was probably Vieira and Petit. Ostensibly two "holding players", but both useful on the ball, quick, powerful and able to take control of games.

Having a pure destroyer in the team isn't an issue for me, but he would have to be partnered with someone liek Alonso to add a bit of finesse.

Try Shelvey as defensive midfielder! Good passer, physical and mobile enough. If you want someone to 'get stuck in' then go for Cattermole! As Silverlining states, you do need both to be comfortable on the ball, this also stops the Defence from twatting it up to Caroll all the time.

Defour would be great, but lets face it, it is who would we play alongside Gerrard!

Yeah, My idealistic view is that the two CM players can sit deep if they want, but one or both should be able to dictate our play.

One the best partnerships I've seen in the Premiership was probably Vieira and Petit. Ostensibly two "holding players", but both useful on the ball, quick, powerful and able to take control of games.

Having a pure destroyer in the team isn't an issue for me, but he would have to be partnered with someone liek Alonso to add a bit of finesse.

Where did we end up on M'Vila, did we give him the official backing?

Some spurs ITK has apparently said Lennon is angling for a northern move, aiming for us...

[update 19] rabbi crackers - Lennon wants out

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Who: rabbi crackers

When: 16/05/2011

Where: FTL

Quote:

sorry cant put any meat on the bones as it will compromise who told me (and the board is read by spurs) wants to go to back up north with liverpool his preferred option.

i dont normally put stuff up like this only when i know it to be solid info.

Total ITK talk, so treat as worthless. Just a point for discussion/massive rush by the usual suspects to call him shit/a cunt.

Some twitter talk that Ayre is in Germany talking to Bremen about Marko Marin and Comolli is in France to see Blaise Matuidi

Apparently Comolli bid around 3 million for Matuidi and the St Ettiene chairman wasnt happy in the slightest.

Not like they were on speaking terms beforehand anyways.

Some spurs ITK has apparently said Lennon is angling for a northern move, aiming for us...

Total ITK talk, so treat as worthless. Just a point for discussion/massive rush by the usual suspects to call him shit/a cunt.

Spurs ITKs are spastics. I used to lurk their forums in Jan and most of them were convinced that they had landed Suarez. If they have said something, I would be sure as hell that it wouldn't happen.

Lennon wanted to move up North last summer, so wouldn't be surprised if he wouldn't want it to happen again.

His options are limited though, especially if United get Young. Not sure City would want or need him. So that's probably why he wants to come here.

Not sure he is what we need, although his pace would be a bonus.