You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2011

Kopite Pete

Guest PurpleNose
As a 34d/4th striker would you take Klose on a 2-year contract?

No. He'd demand enormous wages, and I could see us struggling to shift him in 12 months. Maybe even six.

Not convinced we need another striker. I think we'll see a little bit of N'Goo and Morgan at some point next season.

What does it matter how he does in his temporary tome (out of) position in midfield. We're not going to be playing him there, so what's the relevance? He'd be no better than playing Aurelio in there.

When? I think the word is if, isn't it?

It's relevant because it proves that he's a good footballer and not just 1 dimensional like Young. He's perfect for the style of football we're currently playing. Time will tell!

Then it's a just a flat out difference of opinion on Downing. I respect you and your opinions, but I sincerely hope we never get the chance to see who is right, which can only be defined by downing signing. I'm glad you don't want Marveaux, as I don't either. I also think we may see downing a little different as you've compared him to Imogens soul mate and Ray Houghton within 2 posts. He's not fit to lace either players boots in my opinion. But only time shall tell......

He is mid-paced, that doesn't mean he's slow. Just to clarify, my opinion on Downing is based on his career, as he was heralded from a youngster, and in no way is defined by his seasons of playing next to quick players. By saying his pace is "less clear," aren't you sort of saying that he's no where near as quick as those players he plays with? Because I think we have agreement on that very point.

I didn't compare Downing to Giggs in terms of ability. There is only one winner there. I said that I could see Downing playing in a similar position or role to what Giggs now operates in for Manchester United if he signs.

We've bought too many fucking Stewart Downings this last 20 years. He's not worth the hassle, Young will be easier to get and a lot better.

really? i thought thats what we'd been lacking these last 20 years, someone who gives natural width, especially down our left. I wouldnt mind Downing, people say we were a better balanced side when Riera was played out there and he was fuckin shit, Downing is much better than him and would, undoubtedly, improve us. Really really love us to get Young tho. I reckon if he could back to where he was 2-3 years ago, and hes been playing in a stagnating side since then, he would be fuckin ace here.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Young and Agbonlahor are fucking rapid - two of the very quickest in the league. Downing isn't even close.

I'm not the biggest fan of Downing and certainly not if it's a question of him OR say Young or Mata. I'd still think he could be a very good player for us and will take him every day of the week as long as there's money enough to buy other top targets.

We have to improve the squad a lot and it's no way a given that a player like Downing will be in our strongest 11 after the summer. At the moment he would and therefore it's a step in the right direction.

We also need a much better bench. He'd be a massive improvement compared to the likes of Jovanovic, Poulsen, Cole and even Maxi.

I didn't compare Downing to Giggs in terms of ability. There is only one winner there. I said that I could see Downing playing in a similar position or role to what Giggs now operates in for Manchester United if he signs.

Fair do then, apologies for the misunderstanding. Though I will state that Giggs has been forced to alter his position and playing style because he's in his mid-thirties rather than approaching peak footballer age, like Downing.

Fair do then, apologies for the misunderstanding. Though I will state that Giggs has been forced to alter his position and playing style because he's in his mid-thirties rather than approaching peak footballer age, like Downing.

Absolutely. We could certainly do with a player like Giggs in his peak years on our left flank.

yeah but Giggs is only able to play that role so well because of his ability.

Guest PurpleNose
If Phil Jones is available for £10m and Gary Cahill for £15m then who would be the better signing ?

Jones possibly more potential, but quite a gamble at £10m.

Is £15m really value for Cahill? Agree he'll cost about that.

I like Phil Jones and think he could be a decent partner for Carragher initially and perhaps Martin Kelly long term.

£15m for Cahill is sound. I think he'll be a massive improvement and already got experience to go straight into our 11.

Jones looks promising, but is he any better than the current form of Skrtel? I'd happily go for both Jones and Cahill, but if there isn't a very significant difference in their asking fee it's got to be Cahill as he will be very dominant in the air and we could use a bit more of that.

Jones looks a bit short for a centerback and certainly interesting. I'm just not sure him Carragher would be strong enough in the air as center pair?

It's probably became they know they're gonna lose Young to us for 12 million so they don't want us to get Downing as well.

I meant what is the source of it, rather than, why have they arrived at that figure.

Cheers though!

Guest PurpleNose
I like Phil Jones and think he could be a decent partner for Carragher initially and perhaps Martin Kelly long term.

I think quite a lot will depend on what we do with Ayala regarding signing a new centreback this summer.

Even if the Greek goes, we'll be left with Carragher, Skrtel, Agger, Kelly, Wilson, Ayala, and maybe even Wisdom (Europa League possibly?)

Guess we'll have to wait and see what Kenny wants to do with Agger.