You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2011

Kopite Pete

What is the obsession with Cahill,Downing and Young?? We should be aiming way higher than this. Is Cahill better than what we already have? Far from it. Seen him against Stoke in the FA Cup semi final recently he was appalling. Downing reminds me of Mark Kennedy. Mediocrity. Young is a decent player but has no consistentcy. Aim higher.

no, he means, when they took over they promised a 30 million kitty in summer 2011, then hodgson took us to the relegation zone so they realised a bit more was necessary, then kenny discussed more cash for investing in players as part of his contract negotiations so that kitty is now 50 million, if we dump aquilani, cole, brad jones, konch, poulsen, ngog, kyrgiakos and jovanovic that will net us about 25 - 30 million

el zhar, degen and insua will get us sfa and we should be thankful if we get them off our books at all

skrtel, kuyt and maxi probably deserve another year

so, and i know this is a bit football managerish, our kitty could be as big as 75-80 million (that's not even including commercial deals)

with all the talk of loads of players coming in and out i think that figure not unrealistic

7-8 players for that will be fine and don't forget a few of the players we are targetting are near the end of their contracts

75-80 million will get you

cahill (15) or sakho (11)

young (15)

downing (14)

adam(8.5) or mvila (15) or matuidi (12)

enrique (7.5) or baines (12)

marveaux (free)

wickham (10) or gervinho (14)

whatever combination of those figures you look at, we are looking at roughly a 75-80 million spend, give or take a few million depending on who we get

our starting xi next year could well look like this

reina

johnson cahill agger enrique

downing gerrard lucas young

suarez carroll

subs: gulacsi, carra, kelly, marveaux, matuidi, kuyt, wickham

Proof will definitely in the pudding.

I think it will be exciting summer but not as crazy as people are expecting.

As much as I'd like to see us buying world class players in the relevant positions I think Kenny is gonna give youth a chance, which could either see us put in a challenge or finish Kenny off as our manager before he has begun. I doubt those on here who have been singing the kids praises will be so loud when they and the team have a dip in form and there is no world class palyers to bring in.

Sorry to be such a doom merchant I just call it the way I see it.

I don't get they hype surround Cahill. To me, he's one of them players who would pass under the radar if he wasn't English.

Well nearly all the big clubs in the league have been watching him, so he must be doing something right. I would agree that he is overpriced at anything more than £8 million though.

Well nearly all the big clubs in the league have been watching him, so he must be doing something right. I would agree that he is overpriced at anything more than £8 million though.

I'm not saying he isn't decent, I just don't think he is anything more than that. I'd happily see Kelly given more of a go in the central spots with the emergence of Flanagan and Robinson than spend 10-15m on him. Not to mention Ayala who by all accounts has been outstanding whilst out on loan in recent months.

I'm not saying he isn't decent, I just don't think he is anything more than that. I'd happily see Kelly given more of a go in the central spots with the emergence of Flanagan and Robinson than spend 10-15m on him. Not to mention Ayala who by all accounts has been outstanding whilst out on loan in recent months.

I don't disagree mate. I think the improvement in Skrtel and the possibility of playing Kelly in the middle has reduced the need for an expensive centre half. I think Cahill is a good player but he seems to be massively overpriced (even by British standards) and isn't a massive upgrade on what we have in terms of his passing. What we really need is another Hyypia.

I don't get they hype surround Cahill. To me, he's one of them players who would pass under the radar if he wasn't English.

Skrtel at the level he's at now is better. As are Agger and Carra. Think if we get a new centre back it should be one who's got the potential to be one of the best around otherwise its kind of pointless.

Nice comment from Commoli:

"We are going in the right direction of players who don't get injured. We are going to take more and more account of the health of a player in the future. It costs so much having players who don't play."

That was the Shankly/Paisley philosophy. We have had far too many crocks in recent years, some of them signed with a known history of hardly ever being fit to play.

"We are going in the right direction of players who don't get injured. We are going to take more and more account of the health of a player in the future. It costs so much having players who don't play."

That was the Shankly/Paisley philosophy. We have had far too many crocks in recent years, some of them signed with a known history of hardly ever being fit to play.

Aye. Thank fuck for that too. There is absolutely no point in fielding a player (eg., Aurelio) without knowing whether they will last a game, never mind a few months!

I hope they follow a strict wage structure too. We have been bitten too many times trying to off load rubbish simply because they "couldn't agree personal terms".

What is the obsession with Cahill,Downing and Young?? We should be aiming way higher than this. Is Cahill better than what we already have? Far from it. Seen him against Stoke in the FA Cup semi final recently he was appalling. Downing reminds me of Mark Kennedy. Mediocrity. Young is a decent player but has no consistentcy. Aim higher.

Aim higher? For who exactly?

I don't see any side in this league with anything that I'd class as far greater than that trio.

So I guess that means we won't be signing Marveaux.

Personally I'm not sure about Cahill myself but if we get Young and Downing, I would be fucking made up. I rate both of them very highly.

I think they all have their merits and issues. But to flat out state we should be aiming higher is vastly critical and highly over the top.

This on the same page as people putting Agger in our starting 11 for next season. Agger is broken, we need to get rid and get in a quality replacement. I highly rate him as a footballer but he just isnt robust enough.

I think they all have their merits and issues. But to flat out state we should be aiming higher is vastly critical and highly over the top.

Yep. Young, Downing are very very good players. Especially Young, I really think given a step up, playing with the right players and in the the right position, he will be awesome.

Liverpool Director of football Damien Comolli has highlighted the qualities of potential target Blaise Matuidi.

"When you find yourself handling three of the biggest transfers in English football history in the last days of the market, precise figures allow you not to do that blind."

Damien Comolli

Quotes of the week

The Saint Etienne midfielder has been linked with a summer move to Anfield as part of the anticipated wave of summer signings.

Comolli is set to use the aide of statistics to help him decide on which players will make the grade at Liverpool.

Figures

"In France, all the figures prove that the player who wins the most possession at the feet of his opponents is Blaise Matuidi," Comolli told the News of the World.

"That is an extraordinary strong point. When the team plays high, it means a goal chance."

SKY SPORTS ON SKY

There's more live football on Sky Sports than ever before, including the Barclays Premier League, UEFA Champions League, Clydesdale Bank Premier League, England away Euro 2012 qualifiers and La Liga. With four live Sky Sports channels, as well as Sky Sports News, you'll never miss a moment on Sky. Click here for more.

Comolli believes his new policy has already paid dividends as it was used to sign Andy Carroll and Luis Suarez in January and to facilitate the sale of Fernando Torres.

In regards to Suarez, who has become an instant hit at Anfield, his due diligence appears to have been faultless.

Transfers

"When you find yourself handling three of the biggest transfers in English football history in the last days of the market, precise figures allow you not to do that blind," he added.

"You have to act quickly. For Luis, I asked scouts to make inquiries in Holland. I looked at his stats over the last three years - especially the number of matches played.

"We are going in the right direction of players who don't get injured. We are going to take more and more account of the health of a player in the future. It costs so much having players who don't play.

"With Luis, we took account of the number of decisive passes, his performances against the big teams, against the little ones, in Europe, the difference between his goals scored at home and away.

The rest of that article from skysports.com

I dont think there is even a case to argue against our scouting methods. It seems quite obvious that you should be looking at a persons injury record over a number of seasons, to suggest anything else leaves you with Joe Cole, Alberto Aquilani, Phillipe Degan, Fabio Aurelio and Daniel Agger in your squad.

He is not everyones cup of tea, but I like Camolli.

Yep. Young, Downing are very very good players. Especially Young, I really think given a step up, playing with the right players and in the the right position, he will be awesome.

See, I'm the reverse of that. I think Downing has a good footballing brain and would fit superbly well into our side. I have more concerns over Young despite him being a good player.