You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2011

Kopite Pete

First of all..if King kenny want to get Connor Wickham...then, he will try to get him. For those of you who keeps harping on that this or that player is not good enough for Liverpool, are you better placed to judge these players' abilities or potentials than various scouts employed by LFC???

For most Reds all over the world, I bet most of us will surely put our trust on KK's choices...instead of harping on whther th player is not good enough...why don't you discussed on what will these players produced for LFC if they joined the club...

For all we know and to all intents and purposes this looks, smells and sounds like a Commolli signing rather than a Kenny one. Correct me if I am wrong but Con is exactly the sort of overhyped shite that Commoli lapped up in his scattergun Spurs approach to finding decent young players, overpaying for many of them and getting some success from some of them and calling it 'genius'. Not that I have it in for Commoli as I don't know enough to judge but he is not Kenny and doesn't have that kind of status so I will question if we move for him unless I know it's coming from Kenny. However whether we do well next year should not be dependant on someone like Connor Wickham and I hope if we do sign him we also will be spending real cash on real talent and I'll let Johnny Henry worry about how much money he has lost on Mr Wickham.

For those of you who keeps harping on that this or that player is not good enough for Liverpool, are you better placed to judge these players' abilities or potentials than various scouts employed by LFC???

Goodness me, man. Have you not seen the dross that various scouts have managed to bring to Anfield over the past two decades? Did you really never see any of Eduardo Macia's inspired signings for the club?

Robbie Keane, Jermaine Pennant, Paul Konchesky, Christian Poulsen, Milan Jovanovic, Philipp Degen, Bolo Zenden, Alberto Aquilani, Andriy Voronin??? All recommended by Liverpool scouts.

I'd happily buy him for that - but alledgedly they've turned down bigger bids than that in the past and he's not had any major loss of form that would effect the price negatively.

Fair point. I just can't see us spending more on a 17 year old than Sunderland spent on Asamoah Gyan. It's madness.

Goodness me, man. Have you not seen the dross that various scouts have managed to bring to Anfield over the past two decades? Did you really never see any of Eduardo Macia's inspired signings for the club?

Robbie Keane, Jermaine Pennant, Paul Konchesky, Christian Poulsen, Milan Jovanovic, Philipp Degen, Bolo Zenden, Alberto Aquilani, Andriy Voronin??? All recommended by Liverpool scouts.

Konchesky, Poulsen - Signed by the hapless Hodgson (do not think this is Macia's signing)

Keane, Aquilani - class signings unfortunately doesn't work

Voronin , Jovanovic, Degen & Zenden - we have to have some depth in the squad...as we do not have the money..beggars cannot be chooser

Pennant - clearly a mistake

These signings cannot be blamed on the scouts alone..Rafa has already admitted that some of his signings is definitely not LFC material. Connor Wickham has scored at least 8 goals this season..and that's quite an achievement for an 18 yrs footballer playing in a mediocre team...what about Carroll 2yrs ago?? I bet nobody who is currently drooling on his partnership with Suarez are saying back then that he is LFC material...I would rather LFC try to get Connor for whatever the price he is now than buying him at 22yrs old for 35million pounds..The player's attitude, determination and talent will determine whether he is going to be a great player or not...and the indication on Connor..he have the attitude and talent to succeed. (6)

Konchesky, Poulsen - Signed by the hapless Hodgson (do not think this is Macia's signing)

Keane, Aquilani - class signings unfortunately doesn't work

Voronin , Jovanovic, Degen & Zenden - we have to have some depth in the squad...as we do not have the money..beggars cannot be chooser

Pennant - clearly a mistake

These signings cannot be blamed on the scouts alone..Rafa has already admitted that some of his signings is definitely not LFC material. Connor Wickham has scored at least 8 goals this season..and that's quite an achievement for an 18 yrs footballer playing in a mediocre team...what about Carroll 2yrs ago?? I bet nobody who is currently drooling on his partnership with Suarez are saying back then that he is LFC material...I would rather LFC try to get Connor for whatever the price he is now than buying him at 22yrs old for 35million pounds..The player's attitude, determination and talent will determine whether he is going to be a great player or not...and the indication on Connor..he have the attitude and talent to succeed. (6)

An example of someone spectacularly missing the point.

iverpool are ready to make a move for Standard Liege midfielder Steven Defour in the summer transfer window.

Manchester United have shown interest in the player previously but it is now believed the Merseyside club are leading the chase for the Belgian international.

Paul Stefani, Defours agent has held talks with Benfica about a possible move to the Portuguese side, but the players representative has also been in contact with Liverpool's director of football Damien Comolli.

Comolli along with Kop boss Kenny Dalglish are admirer's of the 23-year-old midfielder and would like to bring him to Anfield in the summer, to add some creativity to their midfield.

Comolli has outlined is plans for the when the summer transfer window opens and has said he want to bring "top players" to Liverpool to build on the January accusations of Luis Suarez and Andy Carroll.

It was believed Defour has been wary of moving to Anfield in the past as the player was keen on a move to Old Trafford, but the player has been impressed with the way Liverpool have progressed under Dalglish.

So far this season Defour has made 23 appearances for Standard Liege and scored three goals.

It is believed the Belgian midfielder could head to Liverpool in a deal worth in the region of £10 million.

Liverpool close to £10m deal - Liverpool FC

I see Chris Bascombe is linking Liverpool and Arsenal with a £10m move for Stewart Downing in the summer. The more I watch Downing the more I think he could be a very good addition at the right price. Charles N'Zogbia is another player who continues to impress me as well and I thought he was excellent for Wigan yesterday.

If the likes of Eden Hazard, Alexis Sanchez and even Ashley Young are out of reach in the summer, then we could do a lot worse than sign Downing or N'Zogbia.

I see Chris Bascombe is linking Liverpool and Arsenal with a £10m move for Stewart Downing in the summer. The more I watch Downing the more I think he could be a very good addition at the right price. Charles N'Zogbia is another player who continues to impress me as well and I thought he was excellent for Wigan yesterday.

If the likes of Eden Hazard, Alexis Sanchez and even Ashley Young are out of reach in the summer, then we could do a lot worse than sign Downing or N'Zogbia.

If we miss out on those two my next choice would be Gervinho. Very good record in the last two years.

Didn't Downing cost 12mil? Assuming Villa don't go down then you would think they will want to make a profit on him so I think they will want more like 15mil for him, and I think you can get better for that kind of price.

N'zogbia is someone I would be very pleased with signing. I know he has a questionable attitude, but I think being a small fish in a big pond here would settle him down. Playing with players like Suarez, Gerrard, Carroll etc... should improve him and he could be very useful for us.

Downing screams mediocrity Steve.

I used to have a similar opinion of Downing when he was at Middlesbrough where I think he went stale, but I think he has been very good for Villa this season and has stood out in an underachieving side.

He can play on either flank and provides the kind of service that Carroll would thrive off. He also has a decent turn of pace too.

Steven Defour is a talented footballer who I would have initially liked to replace Xabi Alonso, but he hasn't played a lot of football in the last couple of seasons due to injury which is a big concern.

May well be worth the risk though. Just look how good Kompany has been with City and his injury record was questionable prior to the move. It's also why Defours price is so low much like Kompanys at the time.

I used to have a similar opinion of Downing when he was at Middlesbrough where I think he went stale, but I think he has been very good for Villa this season and has stood out in an underachieving side.

He can play on either flank and provides the kind of service that Carroll would thrive off. He also has a decent turn of pace too.

I thought he looked quicker yesterday than when I've seen him previously.

A half decent season at the age of 23/24 (?) is not enough to convince me.

My first choice for the wing position would be sanchez but after that i would take Downing.I think we need 2 wingers so ideally we would sign both.

For me this season Downing has been the best crosser in the prem and this is what we need now we have carroll,the cross downing put in yesterday for bents disallowed goal was sublime, if Carroll could get 2 or 3 crosses like that a game he would be unstoppable.

• Downvote 1

Didn't Downing cost 12mil? Assuming Villa don't go down then you would think they will want to make a profit on him so I think they will want more like 15mil for him, and I think you can get better for that kind of price.

N'zogbia is someone I would be very pleased with signing. I know he has a questionable attitude, but I think being a small fish in a big pond here would settle him down. Playing with players like Suarez, Gerrard, Carroll etc... should improve him and he could be very useful for us.

I like N'Zogbia too and think he is a very talented player. The only question mark I have over him is his temperament. Yesterday was the first time I have ever seen him smile.

If we miss out on those two my next choice would be Gervinho. Very good record in the last two years.

Gervinho is a talented player but would be provide width and the kind of service that Carroll will need? I see Gervinho as more of a forward who can play left or right in a 4-3-3.