You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2011

Kopite Pete

Cahill, Baines, Downing, Adam, Marveaux/Jarvis, Wijnaldum, Van Wolfswinkel. That would go a long way towards sorting us out for the forseeable. I can't really see us getting Baines though, sadly. The others are all very much attainable. Dzudzsak might represent better value than Downing but we've never been linked to the former and Kenny seems to like the latter.

Cahill, Baines, Downing, Adam, Marveaux/Jarvis, Wijnaldum, Van Wolfswinkel. That would go a long way towards sorting us out for the forseeable. I can't really see us getting Baines though, sadly. The others are all very much attainable. Dzudzsak might represent better value than Downing but we've never been linked to the former and Kenny seems to like the latter.

I think Marveaux will be coming and it's worth the risk since it's a free transfer. Downing has never really done it for me. How long does he need? I like the idea of swapping Aquilani with Giovinco.

wasn't Rafa in for this fella a few years back

It was rumored that Rafa was looking at Garay before he went to Real from Racing. If there was interest then, it came well too late and Rafa missed the boat long ago; he was excelling in the World U20 Championship, I think, and was one of the 2 CDs and would've been easy to get; Rafa chose to sign Argentina's third choice CD Gabriel Paletta!

I think Garay, currently at Real, has got lost in the pack there.

According to a few papers today, Bolton are looking for £25 million for Cahill.

I think there is a whiff of 'Emperors New Clothes' about him to be honest and never been massively impressed with him, although he is obviously a decent player.

£25m seems a lot for a centre-half who is behind Jagielka & Dawson as an England pick

Mats Hummels,Gary Cahill, Mamadou Sakho are the ones we should be looking at. Benedikt Hoewedes, Neven Subotic and Ezequiel Garay at the very least.

That's a good list. The pick for me is Sakho, although he recently signed a contract extension with PSG and is an iconic figure there. I think Hummels signed a contract extension with Dortmund as well. With how Dortmund are doing, they don't look like they need to sell. Not that contract extensions really mean much in terms of player availability. If Sakho is up for it, I hope we go in for him. I haven't seen much of the Bundesliga CDs, although I know they are highly rated. I actually don't think Gary Cahill is that special; I think he'd be an asset, he is good in the air and seems to have leadership skills, but is pretty limited. He'd also cost around the £15 mill mark, at least.

It was rumored that Rafa was looking at Garay before he went to Real from Racing. If there was interest then, it came well too late and Rafa missed the boat long ago; he was excelling in the World U20 Championship, I think, and was one of the 2 CDs and would've been easy to get; Rafa chose to sign Argentina's third choice CD Gabriel Paletta!

I think Garay, currently at Real, has got lost in the pack there.

If i remember rightly we were linked with him back in 2007.

He's now being linked with a move to Sporting Lisbon.

Gary Cahill has entered final 18 months of his current deal. Sakho indeed prolonged his stay with the capital club, while Hummels is yet to pen a new deal,which expires in two years time and contains a release-clause of just 8 mln euro next year. BTW, Nuri Sahin,one of the hottest property in German footie, contract has a buy-out clause of just 6 mln euro this summer. The bargain of the year for me.

Christopher Samba would be another CB to add to the list, and he should be gettable as he was in dispute with Blackburn a month or 2 ago. He's always impressed me more than Cahill anyway, but as for the names in other leagues, I don't watch enough foreign leagues to make a judgement.

Him and Carroll should at least sort our corners out - at both ends

Christopher Samba would be another CB to add to the list, and he should be gettable as he was in dispute with Blackburn a month or 2 ago. He's always impressed me more than Cahill anyway, but as for the names in other leagues, I don't watch enough foreign leagues to make a judgement.

Him and Carroll should at least sort our corners out - at both ends

Samba would be better value than Cahill, that's for sure.

Juventus will have to pay Liverpool a fee of €16million (£14m) if they want to sign Alberto Aquilani on a permanent basis, according to the Italian's agent.

The 26-year-old is nearing the end of his season-long loan with Juventus, but a to-buy option was included in the deal and his representative, Franco Zavaglia, is negotiating the future.

After a £20m move to Liverpool from Romain 2009, Aquilani struggled with injuries in his debut Premier League campaign and it was decided last summer, when Roy Hodgson was in charge of the English club, that a temporary return to Italy would be beneficial.

Aquilani has enjoyed his time with Juventus, who are understood to want to keep the creative midfielder, but Zavaglia is not 100 per cent certain that an agreed fee will be paid to Liverpool before a 30th June deadline.

"The agreement between Liverpool and Juventus is already there. It all depends on the willingness of Juventus," Zavaglia told Radio Mana Mana.

Unlikely

He continued: "Maybe Juventus want to save something and Liverpool do not want to lose anything.

"But there is an expiration date, everything is organised.

"I think Aquilani will stay at Juventus and there will not be any obstacles."

It has been suggested that Roma will attempt to re-sign Aquilani in the summer, but Zavaglia thinks this is unlikely.

He said: "I don't think it is possible, but in football anything is possible."

Aquilani will cost Juve £14m | Liverpool News, Fixtures, Results, Transfers | Sky Sports

Mats Hummels,Gary Cahill, Mamadou Sakho are the ones we should be looking at. Benedikt Hoewedes, Neven Subotic and Ezequiel Garay at the very least.

I'd be very surprised if we're not looking closely at Mathias "Zanka" Jørgensen of FC Copenhagen as well. He's only 21 I think, but I'm pretty sure he'll challenge Agger and Kjaer for the starting places in the Danish defence in 2011. He's both good in the air and fast, not as comfortable on the ball as Agger, but still pretty good. He's had a great Champions league campaign, so I'll be shocked if not most clubs are onto him already, but while Cahill will go for 17-20 mill, Jørgensen will prob go for half of that. I'll put my head on the block and say this guy is the one we need for our central defence, as he'll cure us for our chronic lack of pace at the back. Go get him Kenny!