You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

You can't have a rational discussion about this now, the rats have been gnawing away at him for over two years and they will get their way eventually. Street parties 'aots'...

Any decent red would be wandering why the merest of touches and most ludicrous of falls results in a penalty, while handballs go unpunished and Carroll only has to breath on someone to be penalised while he's wrestled left right and centre with impunity, but guess what the big topic is?

I'll trust Kenny on this one, and not whining spiteful twats who spat their dummy out years ago and still scweam and scweam to have someone shove it back in.

He's certainly a divisive figure amongst supporters. Why do you think that is?

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can't have a rational discussion about this now, the rats have been gnawing away at him for over two years and they will get their way eventually. Street parties 'aots'...

Any decent red would be wandering why the merest of touches and most ludicrous of falls results in a penalty, while handballs go unpunished and Carroll only has to breath on someone to be penalised while he's wrestled left right and centre with impunity, but guess what the big topic is?

I'll trust Kenny on this one, and not whining spiteful twats who spat their dummy out years ago and still scweam and scweam to have someone shove it back in.

Argue the point, not the those making the point. I never understood why people get so upset that others disagree over the merits of a player, or a selection, or a tactic or whatever that they have to go back to their 9 year old selves and make it personal by name-calling.

I think the club and the fans have created a mindset that a backline without Carragher is unthinkable, and I think this negatively affects all the other centre-backs. At the moment, Agger and Skrtel know (and Coates will come to know) that it's pretty much Carragher + 1, and they will never get a chance to form a partnership themselves. This means that on the (very) odd occasion they do start together, they'll tend to be nervous and lacking cohesion, because there is at the moment absolutely no incentive to work on that partnership.

We've played 4 games and conceded 3 goals. This is the first loss of the season. So I don't think I'll be panicking about our defensive line or Carragher just yet. We had several opportunities to score (24 goal attempts/7 on target) but no goals to show for it. That's a bit more of a concern I think.

What fuckin planet are you on,

so we question whether Carragher deserves to be in the starting eleven and now were Rats,

The Rats, as you so eloquently put it, will get their way not because they have been gnawing away,

but because Carragher's performances have dipped in the past 18 months.

Carragher not the first, nor will he be the last player to play beyond their best.

Gave away possession 9 times today when playing it long. More giveaways than Stoke's entire back 4 combined.

I think the reason Carra plays it long and high that often is to do with how we play at the back, and what pressure the opposition puts us under. And without Carroll up front, we're not going to win many of those long punts.

When we start from the back, it's often Agger that carries the ball. If he can't find an opening and is put under pressure, he usually shifts it to Carra. At this point, teams who know how to pressure the opposition (and Stoke know how to do this) have already picked up our right back, while the forward pressuring Agger has continued towards Carra while making sure he blocks the return path so Carra can't switch it back to Agger. If (like it happened many times yesterday) our midfield is unavailable for a pass, Carra is left with the following options:

1. He can play it long upfield and hope we can retain possession.

2. He can dribble, and then either carry the ball forward or pass it.

3. He can play it back to Pepe.

3 is of course the way for Carra to get the lose-possession-stat monkeys off his back, but I'm not sure how much it helps us when chasing a game. If you're on top and wasting time, then it's a different proposition.

2 is the high risk option, and seeing as Carra isn't much of a dribbler I don't think any of us want to see him take this option. Most managers don't like their CBs playing that way either, for obvious reasons.

1 is what Carra usually does under these circumstances. I don't think there is much wrong with this course of action, to be honest.

All in all, hoofing from the back from Carra is more of a symptom of our team not functioning as it should than Carra wanting to play it long. At least, that's the way I see it.

It's alright when we're playing the big sides but it's disgracefully poor against a Stoke.

I'm not so sure. The better the opposition, the better their ability to punish you when losing possession.

We won't make the top 4 if he ends the season as a guaranteed starter.

If we don't make top 4 this season, I very much doubt it will be because Carra plays.

What fuckin planet are you on,

so we question whether Carragher deserves to be in the starting eleven and now were Rats,

The Rats, as you so eloquently put it, will get their way not because they have been gnawing away,

but because Carragher's performances have dipped in the past 18 months.

Carragher not the first, nor will he be the last player to play beyond their best.

I agree with Durango to an extent. I'm not bothered about the people who scream about poor rafa because they and him are irrelevant. What is relevant is jamie's performances. I love him as a player, but I would be looking to see a big improvement from him if he is to justify is retention in the team. Coates and after may hit it off instantly and improve us from day one. It would be remiss of dalglish not to try the partnership out if carragher continues to make costly mistakes.

No room for sentiment, we need to be as good as we can be.

He made a bad mistake yesterday.

Just like Henderson

Just like Suarez.

Just like Suarez, and hopefully Henderson though he'll put this behind him. Until this becomes a regular occurrence though I won't be too arsed.

PS. It wasn't a penalty. So put the pitchforks and torches away

How much is Jamie paying you? A book deal or some other in the pipeline? That's deranged.

Carragher has made two vital, unforced mistakes which have led to 2 of the 3 goals conceded. Against the calibre of player of Klasnic and Walters. Yesterday he was baffled by the movement of John Walters in the only moment of the game in which he was called to act. The team cannot confidently play a high-line if we are at risk from conceding the minute slight force is put upon the defence. Scanning through the Stoke thread, there was huge criticism heaped upon our midfield, yet our midfielders generally retained the ball superbly upon a narrow pitch against hostile opposition and shielded the defence very well. The midfield was not at fault for the result yesterday. A soft goal and going 1-0 behind at a point we shouldn't have coupled with some poor finishing.

Two goals conceded not because he's been done for lack of pace, but for lack of concentration and awareness of the movement of the forward.

How much is Jamie paying you? A book deal or some other in the pipeline? That's deranged.

Carragher has made two vital, unforced mistakes which have led to 2 of the 3 goals conceded. Against the calibre of player of Klasnic and Walters. Yesterday he was baffled by the movement of John Walters in the only moment of the game in which he was called to act. The team cannot confidently play a high-line if we are at risk from conceding the minute slight force is put upon the defence. Scanning through the Stoke thread, there was huge criticism heaped upon our midfield, yet our midfielders generally retained the ball superbly upon a narrow pitch against hostile opposition and shielded the defence very well. The midfield was not at fault for the result yesterday. A soft goal and going 1-0 behind at a point we shouldn't have coupled with some poor finishing.

Two goals conceded not because he's been done for lack of pace, but for lack of concentration and awareness of the movement of the forward.

He's been our best defender for years. Two games and two mistakes don't change that.

Wind it in.

He's been our best defender for years. Two games and two mistakes don't change that.

Wind it in.

Yes he deserves respect. Yes he has been best defender for years.

Shame that those years where he has been best are more than 3 seasons away.

I know I´ll be burned alive for this but If he wasn´t scouse and the legend he is he would be 3rd choice at best currently.

Yes he deserves respect. Yes he has been best defender for years.

Shame that those years where he has been best are more than 3 seasons away.

I know I´ll be burned alive for this but If he wasn´t scouse and the legend he is he would be 3rd choice at best currently.

Well he is scouse, he is a legend, he has given us years of unquestioned loyalty and service.

And 3 years ago we had one of the best Liverpool sides we've ever had, since then we've been fucking shit.

It's a shame Carra hasn't been afforded the loyalty and quality partner ship he afforded Hyypia in his twilight.

Oh and being scouse has fuck all to do with it, for scousers, it's just wools with a chip on their shoulder, or them weird self loathing scousers.

Wind it in.

Listen,you fuckin clueless Turd,

Rush,Fowler and Owen where at one stage, where our best strikers,when they got past their bests they were shipped out,

So because Carragher as been our best for a number of years he exempt from being dropped?

Do us a favour,

goin wank ye Jack Russell!!!

Listen,you fuckin clueless Turd,

Rush,Fowler and Owen where at one stage, our best strikers,when they got past their bests they were shipped out,

So because Carragher as been our best for a number of years he exempt from being dropped?

Do us a favour,

goin wank ye Jack Russell!!!

Carragher has been our best defender for years. No he's not exempt to being dropped. But why should he be dropped? Who can replace him? Coates might be fucking fantastic if he is, let him play. Otherwise fucking shut up and wait and see.

2 bad games change nothing, nothing at all.

Oh and he's got no balls, so go back to wigan and smell the beans you big bad woolyback meff

Carra will never age the way Sami did - different player , different strengths. It is going to get more difficult for JC to make the last ditch tackles cuz he is now two steps behind alot of the players he is up against.

I think he is still good enough to play regularly, but we might have a better pairing and the team needs to sort itself out on merit. I think with Kenny in charge it can, he is "bigger" than any player we have ever had.

Carragher has been our best defender for years. No he's not exempt to being dropped. But why should he be dropped? Who can replace him? Coates might be fucking fantastic if he is, let him play. Otherwise fucking shut up and wait and see.

2 bad games change nothing, nothing at all.

Oh and he's got no balls, so go back to wigan and smell the beans you big bad woolyback meff

Hahahahah,

how many years as he been our best defender?

he's only been our best defender since Hyypia's gone,

which is just over 2 years,

funny how, since Sami's gone Carragher's form as dipped

He made a bad mistake yesterday.

Just like Henderson

Just like Suarez.

Just like Suarez, and hopefully Henderson though he'll put this behind him. Until this becomes a regular occurrence though I won't be too arsed.

PS. It wasn't a penalty. So put the pitchforks and torches away

It's not even about the mistake. It's about his inability to defend a high line and play the ball out from the back. His distribution was woeful yesterday.

"But he organises the defence". He organises them by dropping them further back to cover his lack of pace.

Hahahahah,

how many years as he been our best defender?

he's only been our best defender since Hyypia's gone,

which is just over 2 years,

funny how, since Sami's gone Carragher's form as dipped

Funny how since the end of 2009 Carragher's form has dipped. Agger couldn't string two games together, Skrtel wasn't much better. Johnson wasn't a reliable right back, and Insua was playing fucking LB and Aurelio was never fit.

Meanwhile, two years later, Donald Donaldson sits in a chair with a glass of brandy and a cigar chuckling insanely to himself.

It's not even about the mistake. It's about his inability to defend a high line and play the ball out from the back. His distribution was woeful yesterday.

"But he organises the defence". He organises them by dropping them further back to cover his lack of pace.

Wrong again.

Look at how he's helped Flanno, look at how he helped Kelly.

Look when he was out injured for a few months last season and how fucking shite we where in defence.

But lets just ignore the fact he's known as a leader in the side, ignore the fact that without Carragher we look crap, and ignore the outlying fact we have no one better.

If Agger continues his form and Coates is fantastic I'd drop Carra.

Until then, wind it in.

Funny how since the end of 2009 Carragher's form has dipped. Agger couldn't string two games together, Skrtel wasn't much better. Johnson wasn't a reliable right back, and Insua was playing fucking LB and Aurelio was never fit.

Do me a favour,

go and look in the mirror and repeat that post,

you fuckin dope,

Now it's every one's fault bar Carragher's.