You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Damn .....Ex Thin Lizzy guitarist Gary Moore dies aged 58 :(

Caramac

BBC News - Rock guitarist Gary Moore dies

Rock guitarist Gary Moore dies

The renowned rock guitarist Gary Moore has died in a hotel room in Spain.

Mr Moore, 58, was, originally from Belfast, and was a former member of the legendary Irish group Thin Lizzy.

Adam Parsons, who manages Thin Lizzy, told the BBC that Mr Moore had died in the early hours of Sunday morning.

Mr Moore was originally drafted into Thin Lizzy by its singer Phil Lynott. He later gained acclaim for his solo work and was a former member of the Irish group Skid Row.

The Northern Ireland guitarist was only 16 when he moved from Belfast to Dublin in 1969, to join Skid Row, which featured Lynott as lead vocalist.

He was later brought into Thin Lizzy by Lynott to replace the departing Eric Bell, another guitarist from Northern Ireland.

Mr Bell told the BBC on Sunday he was still "in shock" at Mr Moore's death.

"I still can't believe it," he said.

"He was so robust, he wasn't a rock casualty, he was a healthy guy.

"He was a superb player and a dedicated musician."

Niall Stokes, the editor of the Irish music magazine, Hot Press, described Mr Moore as a "genius".

The lead guitarist received critical acclaim for his work on the 1974 Thin Lizzy album, Nightlife, but would never be constrained by the music group format.

A year earlier, he had released his first solo album Grinding Stone and his virtuoso playing was to make him a recognised artist in his own right.

Although returning to Thin Lizzy briefly in the late 1970s, his solo work cotinued to garner interest and he also enjoyed UK chart success with Lynott, via singles Parisienne Walkways and Out In The Fields.

Throughout his career, Gary Moore was to embrace a range of genres including blues, metal and hard rock.

He performed on stage with a range of major artists and released 20 studio albums.

R.I.P. ......:(

Very sad he was a really nice guy, I met him in Cheverton Records (anyone remember this place?) Me and my mate went in and we were going to see Gary at the Royal Court that night. Couldn't believe it when he was in there, stayed around and chatted away for nearly an hour, load of autographs. Just a really nice down to earth guy as well as a brilliant guitarist.

R.I.P

Posted a couple of clips on the other thread.

Listening to best of the blues made me want a les paul and to play a guiatr,reinvented the blues back in th early 90`s and gained the respect of the biggest blues players

Also that note in Parisian walkways

I can't wait until I joss it, there must be some fucking boss gigs up there.

Is fucking right Andy. If there is an afterlife I want to be in the same place as Phil and Gary, some proper fucking about to be done in that place.

Now I'm not the cleanest living of fellas and in the general scheme of things, I don't give a fuck about most things, but I know when I'm out of my class in really not giving a shit and I'm anxious to learn properly.

Is fucking right Andy. If there is an afterlife I want to be in the same place as Phil and Gary, some proper fucking about to be done in that place.

Now I'm not the cleanest living of fellas and in the general scheme of things, I don't give a fuck about most things, but I know when I'm out of my class in really not giving a shit and I'm anxious to learn properly.

Yeah the great gig in the sky sounds a great place.

Robert Johnson-Albert King-Jimi-Janis and Duane-Elvis-Cash-Jennings

to name a few