You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Souness

Razoray

23 minutes ago, Mathewbet1 said:

Sourness was right , mens football is a mens game. They where commentating on a mens football match ? 

There are some proper dodgy ones. The upside of that (for a disinterested viewer) is, like lower league football, you do get some screamers, because it's always worth taking a punt from 30 yards.

20 hours ago, Chris said:

Reminds me of the time I kicked off at my GCSE PE teacher at school. She'd given this girl Michelle a 7 out of 10 and given my mate Fat Andy a 6. I called her out on it in the middle of the class as favouritism. Her argument was that Michelle played for the county girls team. As if Fat Andy wouldn't have been the fucking best player in the county girls team by a mile.

Justice for Fat Andy!

Reckon souness and his peers would give the women team a good game now. 

9 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Its also not a glamorous role and men's football has only realised the value of the GK in more recent times 

I remember years ago reading an interview with Rachel Brown, saying that she became a goalie because when she was growing up the boys wouldn't let her play outfield.

3 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

This is a bit unfair on the women given their average height is much shorter than the average man. The better men's goalkeeping coaches also tend to gravitate towards the better paid roles in male football too. Its also not a glamorous role and men's football has only realised the value of the GK in more recent times so the female game is trailing in that wake too.

Folk can make all the excuses they want but the reason women are shite in goals is because they are women. They do not have the speed, reflexes or upper body strength to be good keepers & they can't catch & throw anywhere near as well as men.

None of this is going to change so the standard will always be dogshit.

4 hours ago, Harry Squatter said:

The wrst thing about women's football are the goalkeepers. They are like a cross between Stevie Wonder and the bendy fella from the x men who can bend his body out of the way of anything but also with a 3 second satellite delay. 

This is so true. I'm really quite intrigued by it. I mean, gymnastics and athletics show that women, physically, are quite capable of, y'know, 'jumping very high and that,' and yet professional female keepers - the vast majority that I've seen, anyway - appear completely helpless whenever an opponent tries something really cunning like a cross or a lofted shot. What the hell do they do in training? Eat pies? And of course - another sign of how weirdly frail their game still is - the commentators simply cannot do what they would do if it was a male keeper, and heap scorn on them for being so shite. They have to say things like, 'Oooh, bad luck, the keeper can't quite get to that one,' as the ball sails over the flat-footed gallumpher in the goal. Very, very odd.

3 hours ago, Mook said:

Folk can make all the excuses they want but the reason women are shite in goals is because they are women. They do not have the speed, reflexes or upper body strength to be good keepers & they can't catch & throw anywhere near as well as men.

None of this is going to change so the standard will always be dogshit.

Having worked with female goalkeepers not all of this is true. They will improve if the same level of coaching becomes available to them as is available to the men. Some young girl players,goalkeepers too,are excellent. We need to recognise the difference between the OTT bollocks in the media(no surprise there) and the vast improvement at grassroots level. I will throw a spanner in the works and challenge the numbers of participants argument as I find that lots more girls are trying football but more of them take it no further than one or two tries and that is it. Young lads are more likely to continue than girls,in my opinion.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Mark M said:

interview tonight on Irish Tv

From memory he was largely still backed at the match

Obviously it was the pre social media age so there was no campaign against him.

The 1st time his name was booed was at the following season in that last game v spurs when he wasnt even there.

7 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Having worked with female goalkeepers not all of this is true. They will improve if the same level of coaching becomes available to them as is available to the men. Some young girl players,goalkeepers too,are excellent. We need to recognise the difference between the OTT bollocks in the media(no surprise there) and the vast improvement at grassroots level. I will throw a spanner in the works and challenge the numbers of participants argument as I find that lots more girls are trying football but more of them take it no further than one or two tries and that is it. Young lads are more likely to continue than girls,in my opinion.

Where are these excellent female keepers then? I've certainly never seen one.

People are so desperate to say that men & women are the same now & they're not, women just don't have the physical attributes to be good goalkeepers. People can gloss over the fact all they want but it makes their version of the sport vastly inferior & will continue to do so regardless of who is coaching them.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Mook said:

Where are these excellent female keepers then? I've certainly never seen one.

People are so desperate to say that men & women are the same now & they're not, women just don't have the physical attributes to be good goalkeepers. People can gloss over the fact all they want but it makes their version of the sport vastly inferior & will continue to do so regardless of who is coaching them.

You wont because you are talking about the top level of a fledgeling game. And this is my problem with how they are trying to pitch the women's game.

15 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Ive been indifferent to women's footie but watched the Euro final. Earps(?) of England was quite good but generally and as an ex cat myself, I always found them and the outfield players, wanting.

Ive no doubt some of the girls are very skillful on the ball. An ex work colleague of mine, his 12 year old daughter is highly rated in the North East. Some day she may make the grade as it were.

Then I saw an article in the torygraph that said women keepers at the Euros made less mistakes than the men in Euro 2022. Shurely shome mishtake?

The guy reasoned that in other sports, women are slower and less strong than men. They also jump less higher and further than men. They chuck lighter javelins and shot than men. Probably use a lighter discus as well.

But, women play footie on regulation size pitches with regulation size goals. Relevantly, he argued women keepers arent going to jump as high or as far in goal as their male counterparts ergo, women keepers look less able.

Have to say there's something in all that and made me rethink. As I said, I only watched the final of the women's euros so couldnt really comment on the women keepers, just the 2 in the final.

As far as the women's top flight league in England goes, I still get the impression a lot of the women keepers dont seem to 'travel' far when they dive for the ball. No doubt better coaching could improve this.

The obvious answer would be for women to use a size 4 ball, smaller goals and pitch. Smaller pitches and goals isnt really feasible when they want to  use lower league \ non league grounds to host games. Neither do the girls want these smaller size concessions.

We dont expect women to match the records of men in other sports so I guess expecting them to perform to the same level as men in football is unrealistic and we should take that into consideration when comparing men v women's football?

Souness was on the mark with his comments. Genuinely have no issue with Womens footie other than the fact it’s not the same game and the problem I have is the fact that broadcasters are now pressured into having Carney et al involved in punditry on the mens game . I wouldn’t expect ex male players to be involved in analysing womens matches

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, magicrat said:

Souness was on the mark with his comments. Genuinely have no issue with Womens footie other than the fact it’s not the same game and the problem I have is the fact that broadcasters are now pressured into having Carney et al involved in punditry on the mens game . I wouldn’t expect ex male players to be involved in analysing it

So your saying trans people can't analyse football?

Burn him!

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

What everyone is actually missing is souness was talking about the referees and their decision to let more go, which was allowing the game to be more physical rather than stop the game everytime someone pirouettes and falls over. He was just enjoying players being allowed to tackle. He wasn't talking about the hair pulling (in fact I'm actually sure he said the ref got that wrong), he just talked about how players could try to go in and win the ball and some contact was allowed. 

Oh I knew exactly what he was referring to but the point I was making was that it was not a particularly physical match, the hair pull and the handbags being the standout moments.  Which is why I thought it was an odd match to make those comments on, and why it seemed to me at the time like he may have made those comments to provoke.

1 minute ago, Moo said:

Oh I knew exactly what he was referring to but the point I was making was that it was not a particularly physical match, the hair pull and the handbags being the standout moments.  Which is why I thought it was an odd match to make those comments on, and why it seemed to me at the time like he may have made those comments to provoke.

He was talking about the 2 games across the afternoon and not just that one. And the noticeable difference in refereeing (from previous seasons). 

1 minute ago, Barrington Womble said:

He was talking about the 2 games across the afternoon and not just that one. And the noticeable difference in refereeing (from previous seasons). 

But exactly the same happened this time last season, Elliott being one of the victims of the early season refereeing.

I just thought Souness went noticeably over the top and I personally think he knew exactly what he was doing. Not to offend or put down women, but to provoke.

2 minutes ago, Moo said:

But exactly the same happened this time last season, Elliott being one of the victims of the early season refereeing.

I just thought Souness went noticeably over the top and I personally think he knew exactly what he was doing. Not to offend or put down women, but to provoke.

Maybe. He clearly doesn't like sharing a panel with a female footballer. 

Souness said nothing wrong. And ever since she started appearing on every football show I've thought Carney comes across as a arrogant twat to be honest. There's other female pundits that seem pretty good, but I find her insufferable. 

5 hours ago, magicrat said:

Souness was on the mark with his comments. Genuinely have no issue with Womens footie other than the fact it’s not the same game and the problem I have is the fact that broadcasters are now pressured into having Carney et al involved in punditry on the mens game . I wouldn’t expect ex male players to be involved in analysing womens matches

None of that has anything to do with what Souness said.  I thought the implication was that it's "not a boys' game" not that it's "not a women's game". 

I've not seen any suggestion that Souness had any objection to Karen Carney being there or that she had any objection to what he said.

It's all a load of fucking nonsense over nothing.

18 hours ago, gkmacca said:

This is so true. I'm really quite intrigued by it. I mean, gymnastics and athletics show that women, physically, are quite capable of, y'know, 'jumping very high and that,' and yet professional female keepers - the vast majority that I've seen, anyway - appear completely helpless whenever an opponent tries something really cunning like a cross or a lofted shot. What the hell do they do in training? Eat pies? And of course - another sign of how weirdly frail their game still is - the commentators simply cannot do what they would do if it was a male keeper, and heap scorn on them for being so shite. They have to say things like, 'Oooh, bad luck, the keeper can't quite get to that one,' as the ball sails over the flat-footed gallumpher in the goal. Very, very odd.

I agree, the standard of women keepers is some way behind that of the outfield players. It surprising that more long range shooting doesn't happen as the chances of success or a mistake are comparatively high to the mans game.

The standard will improve greatly with better coaching and when the selection pool increases. I remember when running youth teams, trying to find lads that wanted to be goalies was really difficult as they all wanted to play outfield. I imagine it must be like that with the girls.

Women's football will improve, blokes just need to stop comparing it to the men's game. Yeah yeah they are nowhere near the men's standard but forget that, either enjoy it for what it is or don't watch it. Its a different competition, I don't watch old Marvin Hagler fights thinking "Foreman would have twatted him in a round"