You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Souness

Razoray

6 hours ago, Chris said:

When I was coming through as a young writer, the Echo graduation scheme was a fucking joke. It was always one local kid (totally fair) and one from Oxbridge. Despite actually working for the paper covering Liverpool reserves home and away for three years throughout my degree, I never really stood a chance. I got an interview but it was futile. 

Chris not getting a position saves the Echo millions.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

i sometimes take my daughter down to see Marine or the AFC in crosby. so she asked me this season could she go to see liverpool womens instead. which is fine and we got an adult/child season ticket. but will it be like watching liverpool tonight? of course it won't

Well no; for one thing the women might actually win.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, beerhunter said:

Womens Football is absolutely fucking shite, its similar in playstyle to when you throw a single piece of bread at a load of pigeons and they all go mad chasing it, some going off in directions that make no logical sense. I hate it when I see a footy story on the bbc footy page and click on it and discover its women's footy. There is no world where the two should be mixed together. 

I only saw a few bits of the Euros and it was nothing like that.

5 hours ago, Moo said:

I've always found Souness's use of "men" "proper man", "real men" etc to denote something better to be really cringey and so outdated it's untrue.  I don't think he was being offensive to women or the women's game yesterday but I did wonder if he was being deliberately provocative. The match wasn't even that "manly" as Souness might say, a bit of handbags from both managers and some hair pulling. He was talking bullshit frankly and you have to ask why he would do that with a woman sat next to him? That was my issue with it.

What everyone is actually missing is souness was talking about the referees and their decision to let more go, which was allowing the game to be more physical rather than stop the game everytime someone pirouettes and falls over. He was just enjoying players being allowed to tackle. He wasn't talking about the hair pulling (in fact I'm actually sure he said the ref got that wrong), he just talked about how players could try to go in and win the ball and some contact was allowed. 

12 hours ago, Red74 said:

She saw me naked once when it was quite cold. No need for the awkward turtle shout. #outraged

It's an absolute disgrace that a Scot referring to a men's game didn't show more respect to "The Lionesses". Or women's football more generally. Or kids' football. Or monkey tennis.

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, gkmacca said:

I'd say that's part of the problem. Maybe I'm wrong, but suggesting that a player who captained Liverpool at the highest level, during its most successful era, should defer to someone who got 100 caps for England's women, when the standard was still far, far, far, inferior to the equivalent in the men's game, in comparatively low pressure games and events, is just delusional. If Souness was guest pundit on a women's game, and he was more capped and successful than the female pundit, would she be criticised in the same way for not deferring to him?? 

I like Carney, I think she's one of the best new pundits of either sex that's arrived in recent times, but she's no more the authority on the men's game that Souness would be on the women's game.

The writer of the above article blatantly benefited from the need to recruit women at the Echo. Without showing any significant writing or reporting ability, she got fast-tracked, got added to the Echo podcasts (where she spoke as if on a sponsored wafflethon) and then, astoundingly, got taken up by the Athletic. It's a tad cheeky for her of all people to make this kind of lofty denunciation.

The stuff going on about England women at the moment is embarrassing. Good luck to them for winning a tournament within their own game,but its a bit like a British Grid Iron team wanting the same kudos as a multiple Super Bowl winning team because they won the UK Championship in that sport. Build your own game and stop expecting some kind of level playing field when your game is a toddler in a sport full of Grandparents.

I gave as much of a shiny one about the England women winning a tournament as i would if it was the England men winning one. I also don't know one other person who was in the slightest bit affected by it. I'm sure they did well and it was a great achievement, it just doesn't interest me in the slightest.  

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Total Longo said:

I gave as much of a shiny one about the England women winning a tournament as i would if it was the England men winning one. I also don't know one other person who was in the slightest bit affected by it. I'm sure they did well and it was a great achievement, it just doesn't interest me in the slightest.  

This.

13 hours ago, aws said:

Not worth the risk of being accused of mansplaining. 

That's how you know that women haven't yet "arrived" as pundits.  If a bloke had said that, everyone in the studio would have had a laugh and given him stick and that would have been the last we'd heard of it (until Sky put out "Football's Funniest Moments 27" with that fat cunt from The Office saying that he laughed so hard he suffered a rectal prolapse).

23 minutes ago, Total Longo said:

I'm not really arsed, either; but I do think that it's impressive that they won it just over 50 years since a time when the FA wouldn't sanction any women's football. Also, I didn't realise that so many girls were denied the chance to play football at school, so if that changes, that's got to be good.

• Upvote 1

The best bit was Carney echoing most of what Souey said about the tactics etc and him glaring at her while Carra was trying hard not to laugh. The similarities between mens and womens football begin and end with the word football. It’s like saying driving to work is like F1 racing. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I'm not really arsed, either; but I do think that it's impressive that they won it just over 50 years since a time when the FA wouldn't sanction any women's football. Also, I didn't realise that so many girls were denied the chance to play football at school, so if that changes, that's got to be good.

I agree. But as I've said before,women's football will improve and thrive when they stop comparing it with the men's game. It's a bit like the team across the park constantly trying to shoehorn in it's far more successful near neighbours into every conversation rather than sorting out the real problems that block any chance of them having some success themselves. Women's football has to focus on their own side of the game and the barriers that restrict them before demanding a seat at the same table as the men's game. They have a long way to go and should concentrate on the road ahead and repair those potholes for their future. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I agree. But as I've said before,women's football will improve and thrive when they stop comparing it with the men's game. It's a bit like the team across the park constantly trying to shoehorn in it's far more successful near neighbours into every conversation rather than sorting out the real problems that block any chance of them having some success themselves. Women's football has to focus on their own side of the game and the barriers that restrict them before demanding a seat at the same table as the men's game. They have a long way to go and should concentrate on the road ahead and repair those potholes for their future. 

The problem with women's football is that there is a gender in front of the word "football", which invites comparison and division.

It's all just football - and there are varying standards of good and bad in football.  

The quicker we lose the "men's" and "women's" tags, the better for the game as a whole I think.

For instance, I saw a social post about the upcoming Wembley sellout between the World Champions and the European Champions, saying it will be a great day for "Women's Football".

I would have thought it would just be a great day for football.

14 hours ago, beerhunter said:

Womens Football is absolutely fucking shite, its similar in playstyle to when you throw a single piece of bread at a load of pigeons and they all go mad chasing it, some going off in directions that make no logical sense. I hate it when I see a footy story on the bbc footy page and click on it and discover its women's footy. There is no world where the two should be mixed together. 

Seems as though the Man City womens team sign a Barcelona player every month   

19 minutes ago, Harry Squatter said:

The wrst thing about women's football are the goalkeepers. They are like a cross between Stevie Wonder and the bendy fella from the x men who can bend his body out of the way of anything but also with a 3 second satellite delay. 

This is a bit unfair on the women given their average height is much shorter than the average man. The better men's goalkeeping coaches also tend to gravitate towards the better paid roles in male football too. Its also not a glamorous role and men's football has only realised the value of the GK in more recent times so the female game is trailing in that wake too.