You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Souness

Razoray

Reminds me of the time I kicked off at my GCSE PE teacher at school. She'd given this girl Michelle a 7 out of 10 and given my mate Fat Andy a 6. I called her out on it in the middle of the class as favouritism. Her argument was that Michelle played for the county girls team. As if Fat Andy wouldn't have been the fucking best player in the county girls team by a mile.

it does my head in all this attempt to trumpet womens football as the same as mens. its not. it's stupid for anyone to think it is. it doesn't mean womens football can't be watched and enjoyed, because it can. i sometimes take my daughter down to see Marine or the AFC in crosby. so she asked me this season could she go to see liverpool womens instead. which is fine and we got an adult/child season ticket. but will it be like watching liverpool tonight? of course it won't, it won't even be at the level of marine. and here in lies the problem - these countless female pundits have got no more right to be commenting on professional mens football than anybody who's ever played the game. i am getting sick of it. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 8

24 minutes ago, gkmacca said:

The writer of the above article blatantly benefited from the need to recruit women at the Echo. Without showing any significant writing or reporting ability, she got fast-tracked, got added to the Echo podcasts (where she spoke as if on a sponsored wafflethon) and then, astoundingly, got taken up by the Athletic. It's a tad cheeky for her of all people to make this kind of lofty denunciation.

When I was coming through as a young writer, the Echo graduation scheme was a fucking joke. It was always one local kid (totally fair) and one from Oxbridge. Despite actually working for the paper covering Liverpool reserves home and away for three years throughout my degree, I never really stood a chance. I got an interview but it was futile. 

I blame the English language.  It's obvious what points Souness was making; but it's equally obvious that we don't have any other readily-understood way of expressing them. 

It's fuck all for anyone to get their knickers in a twist over, but I suppose if you've got a column to write and fuck all to say, any old shit will do.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I blame the English language.  It's obvious what points Souness was making; but it's equally obvious that we don't have any other readily-understood way of expressing them. 

It's fuck all for anyone to get their knickers in a twist over, but I suppose if you've got a column to write and fuck all to say, any old shit will do.

Knickers?!?!

Misogynistic pig!

• Upvote 2

It’s yet another load of old nonsense that makes me feel like I no longer belong in this world.

I think it also actually detracts from the sensible discussions that need to continue around equality, diversity, and inclusion.

As a middle aged, white, male, perhaps it’s right that my time is passed. We’ve had a good innings. 

The second point is obviously more important. It’s fine to challenge the language, where that’s appropriate. In this case, I feel it’ll turn people off any kind of discussion, as they’ll just default to their attitude towards this example, and others like it. Closing their ears, hearts, and minds, in the process.

Perhaps a case of it doing more harm than good. 

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

He is clearly happy they are letting the game be more physical and as you say it’s about column inches. Or centimetres if anyone is metrically offended.

12 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

As a middle aged, white, male, perhaps it’s right that my time is passed. We’ve had a good innings. 

I think it's disgraced comedian we're not allowed to enjoy anymore, Louis C.K., who said we could go to any place and point in human history and they'd be like "table for two, Sir?"

6 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

It’s yet another load of old nonsense that makes me feel like I no longer belong in this world.

I think it also actually detracts from the sensible discussions that need to continue around equality, diversity, and inclusion.

The second point is obviously more important. It’s fine to challenge the language, where that’s appropriate. In this case, I feel it’ll turn people off any kind of discussion, as they’ll just default to their attitude towards this example, and others like it. Closing their ears, hearts, and minds, in the process.

Perhaps a case of it doing more harm than good. 

Exactly.

I'm in the same boat as you (middle-aged white male), but that doesn't mean what we have to say on things is irrelevant. Although we're always seen as the enemy.

Sky Sports have this little thing that the play during their adverts for inclusion. They list things that need to be kicked out eg. homophobia, racism, etc. 100% agree with all that.

Misogynony is also listed. Again, fair enough. But what's the female version of that and why isn't that listed? Is it ok for women to hate men?!

Most of the above is probably me just being facetious, but only calling out certain types of discrimination is a form of discrimination in itself.

Woe betide any man that mentions it though.

13 minutes ago, Lario said:

Exactly.

I'm in the same boat as you (middle-aged white male), but that doesn't mean what we have to say on things is irrelevant. Although we're always seen as the enemy.

Sky Sports have this little thing that the play during their adverts for inclusion. They list things that need to be kicked out eg. homophobia, racism, etc. 100% agree with all that.

Misogynony is also listed. Again, fair enough. But what's the female version of that and why isn't that listed? Is it ok for women to hate men?!

Most of the above is probably me just being facetious, but only calling out certain types of discrimination is a form of discrimination in itself.

Well I think the assumption is if you're a white male, you can be discriminated against and it's alright as some type of payback as we're clearly all to blame for everything that's happened in society since Adam & eve. (I was going to say the birth of man, but that's probably wrong too). 

• Upvote 1

For as long as I remember football has been described as a "man's game". It doesn't mean only blokes can play and enjoy the game despite the male reference, it's more to denote the physical and aggressive nature of the game (or at least how it was until relatively recently). People whining about Souness' comments can go and do one. 

1 hour ago, Lario said:

Exactly.

1 hour ago, Lario said:

Exactly.

Seriously, if misandry was a widespread problem, you'd know the word.