You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Souness

Razoray

Fucking immense player!

In hindsight, maybe the slump wasn't down to him, better managers have failed!

He did sign some god awful shit though.

The slump was entirely down to him.

He crippled and/or turfed out some very good players.

He sold the likes of McMahon and Beardsley and brought in the likes of Stewart and Clough. If he really was trying to bring back a winning mentality, he was a shit judge of character. He was spawny enough to scrape through an FA Cup run in which we only faced one top flight team.

In 1992, we finished sixth, mainly because we weren't scoring enough goals. So he sold our two highest scorers to Villa, who went on to challenge for the title.

Then, of course, he also sold his arse to the rag...

The slump was entirely down to him.

He crippled and/or turfed out some very good players.

He sold the likes of McMahon and Beardsley and brought in the likes of Stewart and Clough. If he really was trying to bring back a winning mentality, he was a shit judge of character. He was spawny enough to scrape through an FA Cup run in which we only faced one top flight team.

In 1992, we finished sixth, mainly because we weren't scoring enough goals. So he sold our two highest scorers to Villa, who went on to challenge for the title.

Then, of course, he also sold his arse to the rag...

Yeah but one of them was Dean Saunders!

I liked the Dicks signing! Two players out, both better than the fat fuck who replaced them.

One of the greatest players this club has ever had.

One of the worst managers this club has ever had.

His signing were appalling I remember going the Coventry game when that fat fuck Micky Quinn scored a hat-trick in a 5-1 defeat, one the most embarrassing performances ever from a Liverpool side. To be honest though there were so many of those displays at home and in Europe during that time.

Everyone should have realised how bad a chairman Moores was when Souness was to go at the end of the 93 season everyone in the ground knew it that day except it didn't happen Morres bottled it and we carried on for another 7 or 8 months till the mighty Bristol Rovers knocked us out the cup.

The fact he got rid of Beardsley in 91 say's it all really when you think 5 years later he was still playing great stuff for Newcastle when they should have won the league

One of the greatest players this club has ever had.

One of the worst managers this club has ever had.

His signing were appalling I remember going the Coventry game when that fat fuck Micky Quinn scored a hat-trick in a 5-1 defeat, one the most embarrassing performances ever from a Liverpool side. To be honest though there were so many of those displays at home and in Europe during that time.

Everyone should have realised how bad a chairman Moores was when Souness was to go at the end of the 93 season everyone in the ground knew it that day except it didn't happen Morres bottled it and we carried on for another 7 or 8 months till the mighty Bristol Rovers knocked us out the cup.

The fact he got rid of Beardsley in 91 say's it all really when you think 5 years later he was still playing great stuff for Newcastle when they should have won the league

Beardsley was still playing great stuff when he won the next Goodison derby for the blueshite. A shocker of a decision to let him go,and to your geographical rivals.

This.

Beardsley only needed to go because Souness treated him like shite despite him still being among our best couple of players,an unforgivable decision.

It had nothing to do with Souness! It was because of how he treated Kenny. That was why he went.

There fucking was every reason. The lad was an absolute cunt to Kenny. He deserved to be fucked off.

Cutting off your nose to spite your face worked a treat then. He never looked like he gave anything less than he could when he played and even if he wasn't he was still head and shoulders above most of the squad back then. Still no good reason for me.

Kenny denies there being any problem between himself and Beardsley in his autobiography. That rumour has been around for years though. Quite what that has to do with Souness though I'm not sure.

Souness was a terrible manager for the club. The club were on the decline both on and off the pitch but everything he did accelerated it. He gutted the club of most of its senior players and replaced them with kids and what ultimately turned out to be inferior talent from elsewhere.

Aside from Rob Jones, did he make a good signing? Never has a manager bought so many duds as Souness did. To make it even more bizarre, he should have know better than anybody what the standard of player should have been at the club. He was a total disaster on and off the pitch.

I hear that Beardsley went full bitter after he played for Everton - slagging off Liverpool fans, saying 'they think they've got a right to win everything', etc. Anybody know any different?

Probably just blowing smoke up Evertonians arsed so they could put it on their list of firsts.

First ex Liverpool player to say Kopites are gobshites.

An if yer know yer istry cos one equals twenty and the old lady is in your heart and soul cos we don't care what der redshite say even though we are fucking obsessed with them.

• 4 years later...

Wonder if they’ll fuck him off now with all this furore?

When I woke up the Monday after watching England win the European Championship on July 31, everything felt different. 

As a woman working in football, I truly believed what Sarina Wiegman and her swashbuckling team of winners had achieved at Wembley was going to help me on a deeply personal level. 

Those women, led by captain Leah Williamson, broke into the wider public consciousness this summer. They all became household names, rightfully adored by a nation. And they did not take this step alone. They took along every woman involved in the game, and every single girl or woman dreaming of a future in it. 

That is how it felt. It was seismic.

It also made me feel that talking and writing about football for a living would become even easier for me and other women — something I could do with renewed confidence and purpose. The Lionesses made me feel like I truly belonged in an industry I have already been working in for four years.

Their victory made me hopeful that the noisy minority who love to loathe women’s football — not to mention women working in football full stop — might just decide to give their thumbs a rest from all that online trolling. Maybe, just maybe, they had grown to respect and admire these powerful women for the incredible role models they are.

Then came comments by Graeme Souness on Sky Sports on Sunday night. Just two weeks after England’s success, they felt like a complete regression, like a step back into the recent past.

I was dismayed listening to Souness use cliched phrases such as “boys will be boys” when talking about a clash between Thomas Tuchel and Antonio Conte during Chelsea’s 2-2 draw with Tottenham Hotspur at Stamford Bridge. Calling the sport “a man’s game again” while sitting directly next to Karen Carney — a former professional who during her career featured 144 times for England — did not sit right with me.

Let’s be clear: I do not know what Souness truly makes of the women’s game. And people may think I have missed the point here because Souness was commenting on a men’s match. True. He was.

People may also think I have misunderstood what he meant by “a man’s game” and instead argue that he was simply marvelling at the free-flowing nature of the match and admiring some decidedly old-school tackles. Again: he was.

But hearing the modern game spoken about in this way made me feel uncomfortable. It made European champion Bethany England and former England international Eniola Aluko feel the same.

Bethany England called for this kind of language to “get in the bin”, while Aluko poignantly reminded us that “football is football” regardless of gender.

Had these comments been made last season, they may have gone unchallenged or even unnoticed. But this should not be the case in this country in 2022, the year England Women became European champions.

Responding to the escalating row, Souness doubled down, saying he did not “regret a word of it”. He added: “The referees have such a major part to play in the success of the Premier League because we were fast becoming like other leagues where the ref was blowing the whistle all the time, the game didn’t flow, and it just wasn’t a very good watch.

“And I think yesterday I said, ‘We’ve got our game back’. That is the kind of football I remember playing and our league will be better for it. I enjoyed two games of football yesterday where men were playing men, and they got about themselves at times. They were falling out with each other.”

This summer gave women such as England and Aluko — not to mention myself and some of you reading — an even bigger platform, and more courage to challenge. So, here we are.

Euro 2022 has driven us even closer to the equality, fairness and respect women have been fighting for in this sport and in society for decades.

Souness’s comments — even if he did not necessarily intend for them to — dulled my post-Euros glow but in a way, I am glad because I now realise our work isn’t finished. We cannot rest on our laurels or on the medals England fought so hard to win. Instead, we need to keep on evolving and educating.

Women belong here and anything that makes them feel otherwise does not.

Sky Sports has been contacted for comment.

9 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

sat next to an England centurion

I'd say that's part of the problem. Maybe I'm wrong, but suggesting that a player who captained Liverpool at the highest level, during its most successful era, should defer to someone who got 100 caps for England's women, when the standard was still far, far, far, inferior to the equivalent in the men's game, in comparatively low pressure games and events, is just delusional. If Souness was guest pundit on a women's game, and he was more capped and successful than the female pundit, would she be criticised in the same way for not deferring to him?? 

I like Carney, I think she's one of the best new pundits of either sex that's arrived in recent times, but she's no more the authority on the men's game that Souness would be on the women's game.

The writer of the above article blatantly benefited from the need to recruit women at the Echo. Without showing any significant writing or reporting ability, she got fast-tracked, got added to the Echo podcasts (where she spoke as if on a sponsored wafflethon) and then, astoundingly, got taken up by the Athletic. It's a tad cheeky for her of all people to make this kind of lofty denunciation.