You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Organ Donation - "Opt in" or "Opt out"?

Carradona

Would you be in favour of an "opt out" system?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be in favour of an "opt out" system?

Currently, the organ donation system in the UK is "opt in", whereby the members of the public have to sign the register to become organ donors. I've done a little bit of research and the amount of organ donors in the UK is somewhere in the region of 17,000,000. I can't help but think that there could, and should be more people signed up to offer their organs after death.

So the question is, would you be in favour of an "opt out" system, whereby you have to sign a register to get your name taken off the organ donation list?

Guest Numero Veinticinco

As a registered organ donor and advocate of organ donation, I'm very much in favour of people making the choice to give their organs after they die. However, I'm not in favour of 'opt-out' systems.

I want to make it much, much easier to sign up though.

I have to say, I'm against an opt-out system because that would mean that the government are, by default, entitled to strip your body of organs unless you object. That can't be right.

I do think there is more that could be done to register on the organ donor register. Maybe when you register with a GP practice, you should be made to disclose whether or not you wish your organs to be donated. Though there are plenty who don't want their organs donated, I'm sure there are more who just have never got round to registering.

EDIT:

Edited by She Knows It
Ken beat me to it

I'm a registered to donate, however i don't think it should be an opt out system. I don't think it's so much people not knowing how to sign up either, its families and them going with the deceased wishes. Can't someone be registered and their family go against it? Or vice versa?

My kids know i want to donate, and my mum does. I'm sure my mum is my next of kin (that's some scarey shit right there) and when it comes to it, i know she'd not go with it yet the kids would.

It's making sure the ones that count know your wishes.

I have to say, I'm against an opt-out system because that would mean that the government are, by default, entitled to strip your body of organs unless you object. That can't be right.

I do think there is more that could be done to register on the organ donor register. Maybe when you register with a GP practice, you should be made to disclose whether or not you wish your organs to be donated. Though there are plenty who don't want their organs donated, I'm sure there are more who just have never got round to registering.

EDIT:

I understand what you’re saying there, but it’s a very negative way of looking at the issue. If the “Opt out” system resulted in even one person getting to live a longer life then surely it’s worth it?

I often hear a reason for people not wanting to donate their organs as, "I don't want to look abnormal in case of an open coffin funeral". This is completely stupid, in my opinion. The only visible abnormality in this case would be if you have donated your eyes, but you can opt out of donating them anyway. All other regions in which there will be a scar from donating an organ will be covered up.

Guest davelfc

What if they're waiting outside my hospital room with scalpels and such, looking at their watches?

Personally I think everyone should be opted in unless you specifically opt out. If you're willing to accept donated organs then why refuse others yours?

If you opt out then you can't ever be considered for receiving organs yourself.

Guest davelfc
I've agreed to donate my cock but mainly so they can get the lid closed on the coffin.

They don't all start at the neck and work upwards though. ;)

I understand what you’re saying there, but it’s a very negative way of looking at the issue. If the “Opt out” system resulted in even one person getting to live a longer life then surely it’s worth it?

I disagree. This risks going off topic, but you could apply that to all kinds of excuses for tightened state control, DNA database, ID cards, whatever. I don't think it would ever be right that the government owned your body, regardless of how many lives it might save. It would no doubt save thousands of lives every year if we were forced to donate a healthy kidney/half our liver while we were still alive, but it wouldn't make it any more ethical.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I think 'it' is a massive word in that sentence. 'It' is a big deal when it involves giving the state automatic rights over your body. I think the way forward is getting more people to opt-in, rather than just assuming ownership.

What if they're waiting outside my hospital room with scalpels and such, looking at their watches?

Personally I think everyone should be opted in unless you specifically opt out. If you're willing to accept donated organs then why refuse others yours?

If you opt out then you can't ever be considered for receiving organs yourself.

That basically sums up how I feel about the subject.

Good post.

Yes, I quite agree. Changing the system to an opt out one fundamentally alters the relationship of the individual to the state. The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Upvote 1

I disagree. This risks going off topic, but you could apply that to all kinds of excuses for tightened state control, DNA database, ID cards, whatever. I don't think it would ever be right that the government owned your body, regardless of how many lives it might save. It would no doubt save thousands of lives every year if we were forced to donate a healthy kidney/half our liver while we were still alive, but it wouldn't make it any more ethical.

But that could be seen as a reason to stop doing anything good.

Everything can have the good torn out of it by unethical peiople, it's about weighing up the benefits to the negatives. For me, an opt out system has far more benefits. If the government end up "owning" my body for a short while after I die so any spare parts can be used, then I don't have a significant problem with that as long as my body goes back to my family within a day or two.

As others have said, I've long thought that if you are unwilling to allow your body be harvested for organs, then you should automatically be refused them if you are in need.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

As others have said, I've long thought that if you are unwilling to allow your body be harvested for organs, then you should automatically be refused them if you are in need.

Surely that's down to the person donating the organs? I've no problem with my organs going to somebody who doesn't want to donate theirs. Why should somebody with my wishes be automatically denied just because of somebody who shares your belief? They're my organs, after all.

At the end of the day, it's about having a choice over what you do with your own body parts. Want to donate organs? Great, I think you're a great human being. All you've got to do is sign up.

Personally, I'd imagine that almost everybody who has been a recipient of organs is willing to donate. Polling indicates that the vast majority of people are willing to donate their organs, even though many are not registered to do so.

The who 'well, if you're not donating yours, you can just die' argument isn't all that helpful to the overall debate about this subject. In my opinion.

Surely that's down to the person donating the organs? I've no problem with my organs going to somebody who doesn't want to donate theirs. Why should somebody with my wishes be automatically denied just because of somebody who shares your belief? They're my organs, after all.

At the end of the day, it's about having a choice over what you do with your own body parts. Want to donate organs? Great, I think you're a great human being. All you've got to do is sign up.

Personally, I'd imagine that almost everybody who has been a recipient of organs is willing to donate. Polling indicates that the vast majority of people are willing to donate their organs, even though many are not registered to do so.

The who 'well, if you're not donating yours, you can just die' argument isn't all that helpful to the overall debate about this subject. In my opinion.

I'm with you on this one. Big time.

The donation of an organ is a selfless, compassion filled gesture. It goes against the whole premise of giving life as a gift to then say, "but not to that shit who wouldn't opt in".

I think it'd be really sad to go down a road whereby people are viewed on a list as mere vessels for organs that other people need. We should always try and remember why people opt to donate in the first place, which almost certainly isn't so they can select who lives and dies depending on whether or not that person chose to opt in or out.

I have no qualms in saying that I'd gladly take an organ if I needed one, but I have my own personal concerns about whether I would want to donate my own.

That is my right, and i have my own reasons, and I shouldn't ever be made to feel guilty or undeserving because of that and I shouldn't ever have to justify it any further than I have here.

I'd like to think that the vast majority of people who are generous enough to donate organs would not want that type of judgement made.

Edited by Tom R
  • Upvote 1

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I'm with you on this one. Big time.

The donation of an organ is a selfless, compassion filled gesture. It goes against the whole premise of giving life as a gift to then say, "but not to that shit who wouldn't opt in".

I think that's really sad to go down a road whereby people as viewed on a list as mere vessels for organs that other people need. We should always and remember why people opt to donate in the first place.

I have no qualms in saying that I'd gladly take an organ if I needed one, but I have my own personal concerns about whether I would want to donate my own.

That is my right, and i have my own reasons, and I shouldn't ever be made to feel guilty or undeserving because of that and I shouldn't ever have to justify it any further than I have here.

I'd like to think that the vast majority of people who are generous enough to donate organs would not want that type of judgement made.

If a guy who, for whatever reason, decided at 18 that he didn't want the government making the decision, so he opted out and said he would 'decide later', but then, at the age of 35, is hit by drunk driver and needed a new organ to save his life, do we look into his 8 year old son's teary eyes, gather around the bed and chant 'should have opted it' whilst holding the organs that could save his life. We can all wear fucking plastic horns whilst we're at it. etc etc. Son on and so forth. Add more hyperbole if required.

Don't get me wrong, I think you should reconsider becoming an organ donor. As you say, it's a selfless thing. It doesn't cost you anything though.

If a guy who, for whatever reason, decided at 18 that he didn't want the government making the decision, so he opted out and said he would 'decide later', but then, at the age of 35, is hit by drunk driver and needed a new organ to save his life, do we look into his 8 year old son's teary eyes, gather around the bed and chant 'should have opted it' whilst holding the organs that could save his life. We can all wear fucking plastic horns whilst we're at it. etc etc. Son on and so forth. Add more hyperbole if required.

Don't get me wrong, I think you should reconsider becoming an organ donor. As you say, it's a selfless thing. It doesn't cost you anything though.

And maybe I will. For me it's not something you just decide to do on your lunch hour.

Equally it's not something that's always at the forefront of my mind to get round to either.

I don't think I deserve to die, though, if god forbid I ever needed an organ.

I give blood religiously as I have a very rare blood type. I'm on the bone marrow register as well, which is an incredibly painful procedure to go through. I've also taken part in clinical trials.

I'm not saying I'm special in any way for doing those things, but I like to think I've done more than many whilst I've been alive in order to save lives. So When I'm dead, i'm sorry but I'm probably going out the way I came in - whole.