You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Organ Donation - "Opt in" or "Opt out"?

Carradona

Would you be in favour of an "opt out" system?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be in favour of an "opt out" system?

The problem with donating blood is its very short 'shelf life' and obviously the same people have to have rests in between. Add to that the fact that lots of people are on medication and its a minefield. Organ donation is a tricky one due to the lack of trust in the authorities and the scare stories that the rags always run. Also it makes people think about dying and its not something a lot of people want to face thinking of.

Doing that thing again.

What, that thing where I ask people questions so I can find out their opinion?

Give blood and you can receive blood.

An interesting proposal that would seem to be at odds with the idea of healthcare that is free at the point of use to people who need it.

Here's one for yers then, how do you feel about live donation to strangers?

Most people have 2 fully functioning kidneys, and can live quite happily on one, kidney disease is growing throughout the world, especially among the indigenous of Australia and Afro-American communities.

You can possibly help one stranger come off dialysis and lead a fuller life, how many of you sign up to donate?

• Upvote 1

Here's one for yers then, how do you feel about live donation to strangers?

Most people have 2 fully functioning kidneys, and can live quite happily on one, kidney disease is growing throughout the world, especially among the indigenous of Australia and Afro-American communities.

You can possibly help one stranger come off dialysis and lead a fuller life, how many of you sign up to donate?

Daft. It has associated risk in surgery and possible future risk in the case of disease to the existing kidney.

Take em off the dead people. They are dead, they don't need em. Because they are dead.

Edit: my reply was based on mandated donation. If everyone's organs could be harvested then there'd be no need

What, that thing where I ask people questions so I can find out their opinion?An interesting proposal that would seem to be at odds with the idea of healthcare that is free at the point of use to people who need it.

Where did I say the state could appropriate at will?

Yes, it is. I don't like the hypocrisy of people who are willing to be saved but not save.

I don't like the hypocrisy of people who are willing to be saved but not save.

I don't think it is hypocrisy.

Here's the thing. Blood is currently obtained through voluntary donation. But none of us has any input into the decision to obtain blood that way. Someone may disagree with the donation system, but if they need blood, there is no way of opting out of receiving donated blood. It isn't fair to penalise people for having to rely on a system they disagree with.

I also think it is dangerous making emergency healthcare contingent upon putting into the system.

• Upvote 1

Daft. It has associated risk in surgery and possible future risk in the case of disease to the existing kidney.

Take em off the dead people. They are dead, they don't need em. Because they are dead.

Edit: my reply was based on mandated donation. If everyone's organs could be harvested then there'd be no need

Fair enough,

It's a somewhat biased question from my perspective, as I am almost certainly going to need a transplant, however I am fortunate in that my condition is congenital but not hereditary, so the rest of my family have healthy kidneys (hopefully) and have said they will get tested for suitability as and when I end up on dialysis (kidney function has dropped from 30% to high teens over the last 8 years).

But there are cases such as among the communities I listed earlier where a number of family members are ill, conditions for dialysis are not great (availability of clean water etc), and live donations could really help.

I am registered as a donor, though not sure what is left that would be much good to anyone who else, but still have a slight uneasiness about it - think this relates more to death than actually donating though.

I like the idea of live donation, the idea of being able to see the person you have helped, and have such an impact on someone's life. I registered for the Anthony Nolan bone marrow trust in my 20s, before knowing about my own illness.

It's a very difficult subject, but need to be discussed more openly. As Cars (and life in general) get safer, there are less organs coming through for cadaver transplantation.