You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Andy Carroll, what does he do?

Code

Sounds simple, but unless he reverts to what he does best (getting in the box and dominating defenders in the air) he's going to struggle to convince people of his worth. I don't understand him dropping deep and trying to get involved, it's just making him look bad, and I don't think it's doing his confidence any good either.

The thing is Newcastle played a similar system to Bolton did with Kevin Davies being the focal point and Nolan and the others competing for the second ball.

In that sort of system his movement wasn't crucial.

True. We need to find a system/way of playing that gets the best out of him without compromising the way we play. Up until now we haven't done that.

Yeah they had bizarre low expectations like, 'see this ball Andy, yeah put it in the back of the net' which he did, time and time again. He's playeed against the best in the premier league and run them ragged on his day, fact. If kenny needs to change our style of play to get the best out him I trust Kenny will do that.

You sound like he's a proven player like Torres. Caroll had 18 games for Newcastle in the league. Sure he did really well in them getting 11 goals. But its half a season.....its not enough to say he's proven. You basically bought a young prospect for 35 million. Thats the fee you pay for a world class player.

Which is why so many people in here in saying he's young, give him time and he will get better. Amir Zaki had 10 goals in 22 league starts for Wigan. Sometimes a player can go through really good few months of form. But you dont pay 35 million for a player who has proven as little as Caroll has over such a short time.

Basically the problem here is very simple and nothing will change that problem. The fee paid for him and his ability dont match. its not about tactics or team mates fault. Caroll can become a very useful player. But never a 35 million player and the sooner people accept it the better

Basically the problem here is very simple and nothing will change that problem. The fee paid for him and his ability dont match. its not about tactics or team mates fault. Caroll can become a very useful player. But never a 35 million player and the sooner people accept it the better

WTF are you talking about? He has been getting shit on here for the past few weeks and everybody accepted long ago that he was not a 35m player. When talking about him coming good = him actually looking like a football player.

WTF are you talking about? He has been getting shit on here for the past few weeks and everybody accepted long ago that he was not a 35m player. When talking about him coming good = him actually looking like a football player.

fair enough. but my point is his price tag will always follow him. and even if he comes good he will never be 35 million player, so he will get questioned.

But what gets me is his 18 games for Newcastle being used as what a player he is. 18 games is not enough to judge a player fully. I mean he has been poor for Liverpool in 12 league games. So 6 more we are talking about 18 games. So we will see people say he's only been playing for 18 games, but never mention he was bought on 18 games

fair enough. but my point is his price tag will always follow him. and even if he comes good he will never be 35 million player, so he will get questioned.

But what gets me is his 18 games for Newcastle being used as what a player he is. 18 games is not enough to judge a player fully. I mean he has been poor for Liverpool in 12 league games. So 6 more we are talking about 18 games. So we will see people say he's only been playing for 18 games, but never mention he was bought on 18 games

Our main problem is that we play better football without Carroll than with him, pretty much bar one or two games.

Carroll himself needs to show more, I agree and yes his price tag does follow him but thats not his fault, it's a stupid market and I've said time and time again. That January we where never going to get value for money on deadline day. Especially when every cunt knew we had £50 million in our account.

Anyway, we need to learn to play football with him there have been sparks with Downing on the wing. Let us not forget we've not had Gerrard fit for the majority of the time he's been here so it will be interesting to see how that works out.

Carroll is a good player, I firmly believe he'll prove his worth over time to this football club. We're a side in transition, as games go on the less time Carroll has to prove himself. But When we're playing poor and our £35 Million striker isn't performing people are going to start using him as a scape goat and wrongly so.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
We shouldn't be changing our style of play to accommodate one player.

Exactly. Imagine betraying a club's entire philosophy on playing football just to accommodate one player because of his price tag.

But we purchased him for our style of play. It's not as if we had a player, then the new manager came in and signed a load of new players to replace him. He is one of those new players. He has come in to be part of the team, and at great cost.

Obviously looking back it was a big mistake but the owners were only here a few weeks. They had just replaced a manager who was hated by many supporters. The star player had handed in a transfer request to go to one of our competitors. The former owners had a long history of selling our star players and not reinvesting. We ended up with Carroll for 30-35m and he was then injured and what would have been the ideal time to come into a team (ie: not really playing for anything) he was instead sitting out injured and now when he is fully fit we cannot let him settle into the team because we are aiming for points and top 4 finish.

I think he'll find his feet eventually.

I remember thinking when Kenny took over. We had been through close to 2 years of seriously shite luck. I also thought to myself there would still be tough times ahead but we were on an upward trajectory.

As illogically crazy as it sounds. I believe Carroll will come good simply because the universe owes us some fucking good fortune and the lad is very good player. He just needs to get himself in gear.

Yeah, he wasn't as good value as say, ooh I dunno, Fabregas for Barca for instance, or even Nasri for Al Citeh.