You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Andy Carroll, what does he do?

Code

It will be nice to play with 2 forwards again and to have someone up front who can hold the ball up and allow others to feed off of his knock downs. I think Gerrard will benefit from having Carroll leading the line with his late bursts into the box from midfield. I think Carroll is an excellent signing but I don't think we will see the best of him until we buy at least 1 quality wide player.

I really hope that Carra doesn't see him as a big target to be hit as early as possible. It's worth remembering that Blackburn used to play long diagonal balls to their front two. I hope thats not the route we will be going.

It was the "Crouch is better in the air" that made me spit my coffee onto the keyboard.

Carroll going up for corners and setpieces would make me quite confident that we'll score from them.

And that is a feeling I haven't had since I had my first season ticket in about 1986.

Actually I didn't even have that feeling then. We've alweays been fucking shit at them.

*Short corner to Nicol. Nicol does step-over. Passes square to McMahon. Back to Nicol. McMahon. Across to Whelan. Square to Nicol. Back to McMahon*

It will be nice to play with 2 forwards again and to have someone up front who can hold the ball up and allow others to feed off of his knock downs. I think Gerrard will benefit from having Carroll leading the line with his late bursts into the box from midfield. I think Carroll is an excellent signing but I don't think we will see the best of him until we buy at least 1 quality wide player.

I'd have thought he'd be on the left in this new 433 we are doing; like he was at Ajax. Why do you think we are going to switch to 442?

He played on both flanks, plus he's right-footed. He could play anywhere.

Yeah I know he's versatile, but this 433 we are using seems to be deliberate. I'd be surprised if we sacrifice it for a system which highlights the fact that we again have no top quality left-sided player nor a pairing in CM that is robust enough.

Guest Dog Chaser

At last we will have a serious threat from corners other than the Greek.

It will be the classic 'big man little man' combination with Carroll and Suarez.

• 7 months later...
He's going to be shit now. Thanks a bunch.

I blame you JohhnyH.

But seriously we really need to get our midfielders higher in the pitch if we are going to get any use of him at all.

Kenny needs to get in the boot room and have a rethink when it comes to our set up and the players he wants to employ in it.

• Upvote 1

I don't think he is as good as Crouch either.

Crouch was superb at holding up the ball and although not the best player at heading ball at goal, he was very good at flicking the ball on or knocking the ball down to others. He also linked up well with his teammates.

The biggest problems for me are:

1) He has not been anything ebtter in the air than what Kuyt could be.

2) He doesn't have the pace, vision or intelligence to play with Suarez and get the best out of him. The amount of times Suarez makes a run or tries a one / two and Carroll hasn't seen the run by Suarez or had the vision / talent to make the pass has been concerning.

That's without mentioning the fact he doesn't really have a strikers instinct at snuffing out chances and gambling in the box.

He cost £35 million and he has to be compared to our other leading strikers the last 20 years - Rush, Fowler, Collymore, Owen and Torres. For me he isn't a patch on those players.

Don't care about the drinking issue, don't care about how hard he does or doesn't work, I am just not impressed with him as a player.

Amazing reading all those experts who knew all about Carroll and his game having watched him play every now and then for Newcastle.

The same experts now know nothing about his game after watching him for 9 months here with our team. Just one of the amusing things you see on here.

He hasn't done well for us but I think he's a far better player than we have seen in an LFC shirt. He's been injured, then when played we hoofed it to him from the half way line. We then dropped him and finally played him in right midfield.

I think we should judge him when fit, used properly and after a run of consecutive starts.