You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Andy Carroll, what does he do?

Code

A part from you of course who accused him of laziness.

Nope, I didn't say that.

He is trying, but I'm sorry I am not going to rpaise anyone for effort - because all the players show this and it should be the bare minimum from a LFC player.

It is not like he is putting in extra workrate like Kuyt has done in the past and then gets singled out.

Carroll jogged around a bit, sprinted the odd time and put a shift in with his workrate. But that's all he offered. Thought Bellamy held up the ball better than Carroll.

What did he do that was good?

He was offside whyen he shouldn't have been, due to lazyness / dopeyness.

He gave away more fouls than anyone else.

Bellamy kept the ball better than him - he is meant to be an outlet, he wasn't.

Was he a threat? No, not at all.

He jogged around a bit - but other than that was ineffective and Ngog is better than this guy.

Nope, I didn't say that.

He is trying, but I'm sorry I am not going to rpaise anyone for effort - because all the players show this and it should be the bare minimum from a LFC player.

It is not like he is putting in extra workrate like Kuyt has done in the past and then gets singled out.

Carroll jogged around a bit, sprinted the odd time and put a shift in with his workrate. But that's all he offered. Thought Bellamy held up the ball better than Carroll.

Yes you did.

I feel sorry for him as well Ant.

Mainly because I don't think we want to play the way to get the best out of him. He'd probably be brilliant at Stoke or a side that want to cross all the time and have players around him to support him.

But we are more about pass and moving, that's not his strength. He is also being compared to greats, like I mentioned and that is probably unfair because he is young and still very raw.

I think everyone must be worried that he isn't going to produce the goods or suit us, even Kenny, hence him being dropped from the first team (in the league) lately.

But we can't keep playing him when he isn't delivering, we also can't keep blaming a lack of fitness etc. He looks out of his depth more than anything and once again - I feel sorry for him, because all the effort in the world can't change his ability or make him suit our brand of football.

A point in fairness is that if we had bought him for five or ten million when we needed backup for Torres he would not have the pressure he is under now and we would have been able to ease him in more. It's regrettable that he cost so much, had such a big pair of shoes to step into, was suffering from injury when we bought him, and that we changed so much personnel at the start of this season so that he has not been able to come into a settled team. I must say that the signs are looking very bad, but the lad must also feel the weight of the world on his shoulders. Unfortunately that pressure is part of the job of coming in to a big club as a record signing. Very sad for all involved.

I don't feel sorry for him. I can empathize with his problems, but how he had been dealing with them didn't exactly show any promise. Lack of confidence is one thing, lack of application is less forgivable. Poor touches and poor decision making can be worked on, but he can't also be a poor trainer with a well known affinity to drinks.

Slow, clumsy, lazy, and stupid aren't attributes associated with top players.

That Football AM Pepe comment about training didn't do him any favours it appears.

Is there not a chance that comment was made tongue-in-cheek? A football satire show, or anywhere publically for that matter, is hardly the place a team-mate would seriously criticise another.

Just wondering.

We've got him on a five year contract, he's not even a year into it, let's have this discussion properly in 12 months time and I might join in.

We're not seeing another year of him struggling before we discuss him leaving.

If he is still looking out of his depth in the summer - cut our losses!

I'd be tempted to send him on loan till the end of the seaosn to help boost his value and then sell him. As he isn't the right player for us.

I don't understand what Kenny and Comolli where thinking of when they bought him. Comolli was suppose to bring a strategy to our transfer policy so that we erradicated these expensive errors. Kenny must have known what style of play he wanted for us and Carroll as a lumbering 6.5 foot centre forward just doesn't fit in with that style in which he is made to look even worse by the movement of Suarez, Kuyt and Maxi.

I don't think he is a bad player and would be excellent in a different team although he isn't worth £35 million.

If he fitted in with our style of play he would be in the team every week

I don't understand what Kenny and Comolli where thinking of when they bought him. Comolli was suppose to bring a strategy to our transfer policy so that we erradicated these expensive errors. Kenny must have known what style of play he wanted for us and Carroll as a lumbering 6.5 foot centre forward just doesn't fit in with that style in which he is made to look even worse by the movement of Suarez, Kuyt and Maxi.

I don't think he is a bad player and would be excellent in a different team although he isn't worth £35 million.

If he fitted in with our style of play he would be in the team every week

He's an excellent player if the system is built for him but that's never likely to happen at a big club or at international level. He has as bad a first touch and lack of awareness as I've seen in a professional player. It'd be best for both parties if we look to get rid as as possible. We'd have to take a financial hit, but another 6 months of this type of form could shatter his confidence irrevocably.

I don't think carroll is a bad player, but he just doesn't suit our style of play. Really was a bad decision to buy him and its obvious he's not going to make it here just like torres isn't going to make it at chelsea. We would need to change our style of play to suit him and thats never going to happen. Plus he has a awful first touch and not much of a football brain.