You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Andy Carroll, what does he do?

Code

Quite obviously not true!

That's fine and I accept that. I accept it's an annoyance, but I'm only really countering those going overboard in praise. I'll try and keep it to a minimum, though.

I'm not trying to silence you, mate. You're as entitled to an opinion as anyone else on here. I agree that some, including me probably, are going overboard on praise but he is a Liverpool player at the end of the day. It's not taboo to praise your own players, I'd say it was totally natural. It is good to have the other side of the coin, but you're pretty relentless!!

If we win 2 cups and are in Europe next season that is a major step up from being close to administration a little over a year ago.

Carroll would have played his part too despite a dodgy start.

The Rafa v Hicks and Gillett era has really fucked up this clubs support with everybody seemingly having to pick a side.

If Carroll has scored as few as this at this time next season then he and probably Kenny will be out of the club.

But our rebuilding will take some time and winning trophies while being in transition is a superb achievement.

If we win 2 cups and are in Europe next season that is a major step up from being close to administration a little over a year ago.

Carroll would have played his part too despite a dodgy start.

The Rafa v Hicks and Gillett era has really fucked up this clubs support with everybody seemingly having to pick a side.

If Carroll has scored as few as this at this time next season then he and probably Kenny will be out of the club.

But our rebuilding will take some time and winning trophies while being in transition is a superb achievement.

Excellent post

He needs to keep working hard as his movement and football brain is awful.

If he keeps doing that and gets goals he can do a job in some games.

Bloody hell mate, talk about reducing our expectations. This is a £35m number nine.

I've heard people suggesting we sell Suarez on another thread following that loss, yet Carroll is still seemingly 'doing okay'. Baffling stuff. We can't moan about where we finish and about how we should be back in the champions league, while still forgiving the performance of multi-million-pound strikers who don't score goals and never look like scoring goals.

Someone's either good enough or they're not, Carroll is not - even if he scores four goals in the FA Cup final and sets up another six - he's still not good enough, not by a million miles. He needs to be dropkicked out of the club forthwith.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
The irony is that as an upper mid table side , he is fine for us.

Will we have the courage to bite the bullet, and the cash to take the hit and buy again?

The club isn't an 'upper mid-table' club though, is it? Yes, we've got a shit side at the moment, but we're just a massive club which is going through a tough period. This is temporary. We've been through tough times before and we'll come out of the other side. However, the length of the dip is being extended by very poor decisions.

It's time for a full modernisation of the club. From the manager and the players, to the stadium and marketing.

The club isn't an 'upper mid-table' club though, is it? Yes, we've got a shit side at the moment, but we're just a massive club which is going through a tough period. This is temporary. We've been through tough times before and we'll come out of the other side. However, the length of the dip is being extended by very poor decisions.

It's time for a full modernisation of the club. From the manager and the players, to the stadium and marketing.

That is the key question at the moment, not what we were or should be, but where we are now?

We haven’t won the title for two decades and will have been out of Europe’s premier competition for at least two years, our stadium isn’t in Europe’s Top 60 by capacity, nor are we in the Top 20 of clubs by home average attendance. There can be nothing so permanent as temporary. Birmingham City and Portsmouth are amongst recent League and FA Cup winners.

Of course we should be a top four challenging side at the very least, and we have the capacity to dominate at home and in Europe again. I totally agree with you about the need to modernise the club. FSG have had a free pass so far – for not being G&H. Kenny has had a free pass, because of his status and not being Hodgson.

The time has come for officials, staff and players to start delivering.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Some fair points, but it was only a couple or three seasons ago were were challenging for the league, and a little further back that we were the top rated team in Europe and in a couple of finals.

The wheels have come off, but we're still Liverpool football club. We're not Aston Villa. We're not Wigan. Regardless of how close we might be in terms of points, we're not them. We've got clout to change in a different way than them. The future for us isn't necessarily bleak. We just need to wake the fuck up, don't we.

Thought he was piss poor today, no anticipation, where was he when Suarez put two balls just across the goal, certainly not where he was supposed to be.

End of the first half, we've got men up from a corner; Johnson lofts the ball in as Agger makes a run round the back and puts the ball back into the penalty for Skrtel who has read the play and made that run. Carroll was still standing about 5 yards behind play.

That's not an isolated incident. It's remarkable he has made it this far, absolutely remarkable.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
End of the first half, we've got men up from a corner; Johnson lofts the ball in as Agger makes a run round the back and puts the ball back into the penalty for Skrtel who has read the play and made that run. Carroll was still standing about 5 yards behind play.

That's not an isolated incident. It's remarkable he has made it this far, absolutely remarkable.

If you watch here, at 2:37, well... eek.

78uWLwtirHg

The remarkable thing is in secondary play after set pieces Agger and Skrtel in particular show far more attacking creativity, instinct and basic ability to execute than Carroll ever has.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
The remarkable thing is in secondary play after set pieces Agger and Skrtel in particular show far more attacking creativity, instinct and basic ability to execute than Carroll ever has.

Yeah. I remarked in the match thread that Agger and Skrtel were creating more. It's beyond silly.

I feel that I should raise a couple of points. Andy Carroll scored more goals in half a season for newcastle than he has in his entire time here. Why do you think this is? Alan pardew mentioned in an interview that the reason for this is that they played a style of football that suited him more. Why is he not performing as well for us as he did for newcastle? Do people think that if we swapped carroll for papiss cisse in january, carroll would be struggling to score for them and cisse would be banging them in for us?

Wasn't all of this obvious when we had a look at him for Newcastle last year? What have we been doing with him in training for the past year? We have to sell him, in my opinion. He's just not a Liverpool striker.

To be fair, I should say he's a very useful player to have when we're defending corners, he's also pretty good at getting flick ons(aiming them in the right direction is the next step) and he's been picking out some really nice passes, lately. He also continued his improving work rate today.