You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Andy Carroll, what does he do?

Code

It was great to see big Andy get a goal, fly the jet and bring it in to land, Carroll airways, come fly with us. Fucking 2-0 and you can just see a little bit more of the stress lift off his shoulders every time he scores.

When he mentally reaches that Newcastle place in his head, we are in for some real quality goals from him.

The 35m price tag definitely plays on his mind. Today though I thought the link up play was better, he showed more running and he had a shout for a handball when he had a header blocked, that looked like it was would have caused the keeper problems. Carroll got up well for it anyway. Took his goal well too after a nervy first touch left him needing a good, outside of the boot left peg finish.

Props to the big lad, he's definitely improving.

Funny thing is, if he just relaxed and enjoyed the experience he would realize that in Suarez, he is lucky enough to be partnering one of the most talented players he's ever likely to see play football, let alone be fortunate enough to play alongside. It's like having painting lessons with Leonardo Da Vinci.

I think Carroll will get 15 goals this season.

My take is that he's having to adjust to Suarez.

Instead of being served, he's having to react to Luis, which is no easy task, for team-mates or defenders.

Watching the Copa America, you could see as time passed how Forlan, and the rest of the Uruguayans, started to get on the same page as Suarez.

I hope Carroll can do the same.

My take is that he's having to adjust to Suarez.

Instead of being served, he's having to react to Luis, which is no easy task, for team-mates or defenders.

Watching the Copa America, you could see as time passed how Forlan, and the rest of the Uruguayans, started to get on the same page as Suarez.

I hope Carroll can do the same.

I think in the last 2 games we have played, there have definitely been signs of this happening. All players have to adjust to each other, its just a matter of how effectively and how quickly they do it. Suarez is not easy to read though, agreed.

Suarez and Carroll actually link up pretty well if you watch them closely. Even going back to the city game last year when Carroll played him through, there have been plenty of occasions this season when they've laid chances on for each other. Suarez set Carroll up in the second half yesterday for his half volley at the near post. Definitely cause for optimism.

I think the reason that he has started to show more in the last couple of games or so is that his movement and his understanding of our game is slowly starting to sink in. It still ain't spot on and he's still got work to do before he gets there but for the first time since his move, there is actual signs of him fitting in with us rather us having to do too much to fit in with him.

He has looked like a different player the last two games and the one I hoped we bought in the first place.

More movement, more mobile, linking up with Suarez better, winning headers, being aggressive, holding up the ball and being much more of a threat as we saw with his goal, but also the other shots he had.

Dropping him has had a positive effect on him.

• 4 weeks later...

Bench again. I know most don't agree but I reckon he's nailed on for a January drop-kicking. He's one of the few players I've actively disliked because they're so useless and he's now joined the hallowed ranks of Oyvind Leonhardsen and Paul Koncheski on my shit parade.

Nah we wouldn't take Torres back. Dalglish wouldn't have it, he's got too much respect for the club's standing. But he can be ruthless too, and the fact Carroll is not involved in major games speaks volumes. I reckon he'll go back to newcastle, as I said on another thread, they love all that 'home is the hero' shite up there.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I envisage a situation where he goes back to Newcastle and we get Torres back.

Not that I want either scenario.

If we pay £25m for Torres and get £20m for Carroll, that'd mean the deal would have earned us £10m. It obviously won't happen, but it wouldn't be the worst thing that could.

I'd like to see us sell Carroll back to them, if we can get a good price, and then invest that money, and maybe a bit more, into somebody new. Torres' ship has sailed.

Nah we wouldn't take Torres back. Dalglish wouldn't have it, he's got too much respect for the club's standing. But he can be ruthless too, and the fact Carroll is not involved in major games speaks volumes. I reckon he'll go back to newcastle, as I said on another thread, they love all that 'home is the hero' shite up there.

Stranger things have happened.

The thing with Andy is that we simply don't play good when he's in the team. That's the long and short of it.

I feel for him more than anything, there is a sense of Robbie Keane Mk 2 about it .

Torres has a curse, I'm telling you. If rumours are to be believed and he's miserable as fuck there. I think he'd jump at the chance to join us.

I am desperate to see Andy succeed here. That night v City seems years ago now.

In fairness I don't buy into this stuff about him not suiting our style of play. He's probably got more ability than someone like Kuyt (I say probably, I honestly don't know as I've seen little evidence) but just doesn't show any application at all. He looks a yard short on the pitch and in the head, and evidently is doing very little to improve the situation. It actually makes me quite angry.

There is no way Carroll leaves this year or next - was bought with the understanding that he needs time. I think he can develop into a great 3rd striker, I do not see him as a first 11 player now, or frankly anytime soon.

Torres - child please.

£35m for a third striker? Fuck me pink, even Abramovich doesn't throw that kind of money around for someone to make up the numbers. While I don't doubt the club thought it was buying potential, he was expected to play and play now. The longer he stays the more damage he'll do to his value, in fact that's why I think he's not getting games, he's already been eamarked for the door IMO.

My initial fears and concerns have proved right, thus far.

Will all the people who negged me then for starting a topic stating my fears about him return me with reps? Probably not.

£35m for a third striker? Fuck me pink, even Abramovich doesn't throw that kind of money around for someone to make up the numbers. While I don't doubt the club thought it was buying potential, he was expected to play and play now. The longer he stays the more damage he'll do to his value, in fact that's why I think he's not getting games, he's already been eamarked for the door IMO.

Well he spent 50m on his 3rd striker.

Who expected him to play now? Dalglish has said numerous times that is not the case.

We need to get our head around the fact that the deal is done, the money is spent, it will not be recouped, we would not even get half of it back, especially in January from Newcastle FFS.

That said, he can be a good option to change the game or for certain opponents.

He is a good option to change a game.

He played for 5 mins and had our most dengerous attemp at goal in the entire match !!!!!!!!!!!!

what was ur point again??!!!

the only half decent cross he got he managed to threaten the opposition goal, not his fault that 20 mils downing cannot put a single decent cross