You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Andy Carroll, what does he do?

Code

The Carroll I liked and rated at Newcastle spent most of his time on the last defender. The Carroll at Liverpool drops in to midfield, pulls wide, does everything he can to try and get in the match because by and large his service has been shite. Yes he missed a chance yesterday but so did most of his teammates. He isn't a Suarez or a Torres who'll beat 4 men. He needs service in the right areas. He scored a good goal at Everton and has benched both games since. His confidence looks totally shot and he'll only get that back with games. He should be in ahead of Dirk now and given a run of games to build that back up. Far too early to right him off.

The Carroll I liked and rated at Newcastle spent most of his time on the last defender. The Carroll at Liverpool drops in to midfield, pulls wide, does everything he can to try and get in the match because by and large his service has been shite. Yes he missed a chance yesterday but so did most of his teammates. He isn't a Suarez or a Torres who'll beat 4 men. He needs service in the right areas. He scored a good goal at Everton and has benched both games since. His confidence looks totally shot and he'll only get that back with games. He should be in ahead of Dirk now and given a run of games to build that back up. Far too early to right him off.

alot of people are not writing him off, but he has been poor. he should have scored yesterday 1 chance or not. seems you are not aloud to say anything bad about any player on this forum

The sad thing is Caroll should be doing what Holt did yesterday. When he came on, he was pain in the arse for your defence. Not only did he score, the way he was winning headers, holding up the ball and using his size to push defenders away......thats what you want from Caroll and he's not doing it.

The question should be why isnt he doing these basic things you want from a 6'4 centre forward. Is he being told not to by the manager and is essentially playing a game that doesnt suit his strengths or is he simply not listening?

Caroll will never be a world class striker, but he can be pain the arse for opposition defenders and create havoc which other players should benefit from. He needs to get back to basic and show he wants to succeed. Another thing is when you are out of form, you have to work your way out of it, put more effort, make more runs etc etc. but he's just static

The only sad thing is that you are a supposed arsenal fan yet you have hundreds of posts on other teams forums.

Amazing isn't it? In a game we should've been out of sight in, people can find a scapegoat in someone who missed one chance right at the death. Suarez palyed well and was a handful all day, but how many chances did he squander? You could make an argument that his 'selfishness' cost us 3 points. Ridiculous.

Yes, lets scapegoat our best player and the only player that actually creates chances for the team. Sounds like a fantastic idea.

So people dredging up this thread after he's played ten minutes in our last two games are making an observation on how he's playing rather than having a random swipe at him after a poor result? Yeah, right. Sure.

My response is to people suggesting that had he been on the field yesterday with some of the chances suarez he would have scored.

IMO The reality is that he wouldnt have been anywhere near those chances due to his lack of movement etc.

On top of that the frustration that a record signing number nine is not good enough to start the last two games when we are crying out for a striker to put away tose chances.

Yes, lets scapegoat our best player and the only player that actually creates chances for the team. Sounds like a fantastic idea.

No-one is blaming Suarez for our draw yesterday, but if they did it would be more plausible than blaming Carroll since one of them played ninety minutes and missed twelve chances, and the other played ten and missed one. It would be foolish to blame Suarez, but even more so to blame Carroll. Lamai laments that he cannot offer criticism to certain players. Perhaps that cuts both ways slightly. Suarez is a poor finisher and spends too much time lying down on the pitch. Both of those are as fair a criticism as any which have been levelled at Carroll. Suarez is also an absolute genius on the ball by the way, but we are horribly profligate in front of goal and it's something he needs to improve on.

No-one is blaming Suarez for our draw yesterday, but if they did it would be more plausible than blaming Carroll since one of them played ninety minutes and missed twelve chances, and the other played ten and missed one. It would be foolish to blame Suarez, but even more so to blame Carroll. Lamai laments that he cannot offer criticism to certain players. Perhaps that cuts both ways slightly. Suarez is a poor finisher and spends too much time lying down on the pitch. Both of those are as fair a criticism as any which have been levelled at Carroll. Suarez is also an absolute genius on the ball by the way, but we are horribly profligate in front of goal and it's something he needs to improve on.

Thank you.

He wasn't suggesting scapegoating Suarez. The lad is absolutely phenomenal and brings so so much to our side. But it's obvious to anyone that he needs to be more clinical. He does the hard work in creating chances from nothing. If he converted just a fraction of them we'd win a lot more than we'd lose and draw.

David Villa cost Barcelona less than £35 million - the Carroll signing well it's just an amazingly bad bit of business. Seriously what a waste of money on a nothing player. Next people will be saying that Downing and Henderson are real bargains at £20 million or so each.

So that's a significant amount of money, approx £75 million or so, spunked away on three non-entities. And I get called a fuckwit for not being happy about it?

And the comparison with Rush doesn't hold up - how much did he cost first time around?

£300,000 - even given inflation that isn't/wasn't £35 million now is it lads?

Try to be rational, maybe?

Anyone criticising Carroll can't be classed as a true fan. We have to support the guy ffs. It's not his fault he cost £35 mill, and afaic he will prove to be worth that amount. He has the potential to be better and offer more than players like Aguero, Cavani and Gomez.

This guy will be an absolute beast and one of the best players in the world, and I'm sure one day Barca will be bidding for him (like they went for Ibra). I can actually see Messi thriving off his flick ons, he would love to play with Andy.

My response is to people suggesting that had he been on the field yesterday with some of the chances suarez he would have scored.

IMO The reality is that he wouldnt have been anywhere near those chances due to his lack of movement etc.

On top of that the frustration that a record signing number nine is not good enough to start the last two games when we are crying out for a striker to put away tose chances.

I prefer not to make judgements based on speculation, but it's a fair point to make that we need a finisher on the pitch for games like that. Whether Carroll is that finisher or not, it's hard to say when he's dropped after a small improvement in his previous two starts. Personally I doubt he is an instant fix, like you.

Anyone criticising Carroll can't be classed as a true fan. We have to support the guy ffs. It's not his fault he cost £35 mill' date=' and afaic he will prove to be worth that amount. He has the potential to be better and offer more than players like Aguero, Cavani and Gomez.

This guy will be an absolute beast and one of the best players in the world, and I'm sure one day Barca will be bidding for him (like they went for Ibra). I can actually see Messi thriving off his flick ons, he would love to play with Andy.[/quote']

Fuck off so I'm not a fan if I don't arselick Carroll?

As good as Aguero, Cavani et al., - what fucking drugs are you on son because you're on a different planet to any sane person with views like that.

Oh I get it you're trolling us hard, very hard - Carroll for Barca - do you mean their basketball team by any chance?

And for the sake of balance Suarez is far from the only culprit for wastefulness. It runs throughout the side, from Skrtel's fluffed Volley 4 yards infront of the Kop last week to Downing's shank in to the stand from a similar position yesterday.

We have scored 12 goals so far this season.

United have scored 25

City have 27

Chelsea have 20

I'll bet anyone that we've probably created the same amount of chances as those sides, if not more.

I believe it's slightly more Randy, but you are right to say that profligacy in front of goal runs throughout the team at present. It's also of great concern that Suarez seems to be involved in every single chance we create at the moment. All this is by the bye in a Carroll thread, but like others I'm wondering why Carroll needs to be brought up for criticism after yesterday's game.

Anyone criticising Carroll can't be classed as a true fan. We have to support the guy ffs. It's not his fault he cost £35 mill' date=' and afaic he will prove to be worth that amount. He has the potential to be better and offer more than players like Aguero, Cavani and Gomez.

This guy will be an absolute beast and one of the best players in the world, and I'm sure one day Barca will be bidding for him (like they went for Ibra). I can actually see Messi thriving off his flick ons, he would love to play with Andy.[/quote']

Seriously lad, get a grip. Andy has not lived up to the price tag yet and questions should be asked. For me, the most worrying thing is why Kenny has not started him. He is fit and scored in his last start. What is Kenny seeing to make him go with Dirk up top rather than Andy? I believe Carroll should have started against the mancs and definitely should have started yesterday.

Fuck off so I'm not a fan if I don't arselick Carroll?

As good as Aguero, Cavani et al., - what fucking drugs are you on son because you're on a different planet to any sane person with views like that.

Oh I get it you're trolling us hard, very hard - Carroll for Barca - do you mean their basketball team by any chance?

Shut up mate, you aren't a fan if you don't support our players. All I ever see you do is moan. You might aswell go to redcafe.

And what I mean is, when Carroll fulfils his potential he will be better than all those players, and probably wanted by Barca, such is his potential. We aren't stupid, we paid £35 mill cause we know what he offers, maybe not now but a few years down the line.

There's supporting our players and then there's getting a little, shall we say, overenthusiastic. Carroll will never be as good as the players you namecheck, but he could be a very useful player to have if we can unlock his potential.

So far, and I would say it's a mixture of both his mental state and the way he is used, we are quite a way off that.

Shut up mate' date=' you aren't a fan if you don't support our players. All I ever see you do is moan. You might aswell go to redcafe.

And what I mean is, when Carroll fulfils his potential he will be better than all those players, and probably wanted by Barca, such is his potential. We aren't stupid, we paid £35 mill cause we know what he offers, maybe not now but a few years down the line.[/quote']

I shake my head at rubbish like you've written so much that there is a very real chance it could fall off. Then to finish it all off with the utterly fucking stupid "You might as well go to redcafe" just confirms how fucking daft your view is.

So you think blind support is the way forward? No one should ever offer comment on poor performances of players not pulling their weight or doing badly. Instead we should all just sit there and say how great we are and shout "c'mon you red men" at the computer every 5 mins.

I'm not childish enough to write the "fuck off and support the mancs" wank, but I would suggest you go over with the kids on the offical forum where you can all agree that "Suarez is ace" and nod agreement all the time.

Can't criticise a player? Jesus......

As for your last paragraph? Wow. Just fucking wow. I can understand people arguing that he might turn out to be a good player, but Barca? You sound like that girl/bloke who ranted about abusing Britiany Spears.

EDIT - I've now just seen your comments about Messi thriving off Carrolls flick ons and so realise you're taking the piss, so good man. I'll rep you when I can to make up for the neg.