You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Andy Carroll, what does he do?

Code

Guest ShoePiss
Peter Crouch? Peter Crouch who has a head like a fifty pence piece?

Nearly half of Crouch's goals come from headers. Everyone says he's shit in the air but despite that he scores with his head as often as his right foot.

When you hardly score it's nothing to brag about though!

Crouch is alright in the air, people simply expect him to be an absolute menace because of his height.

It's this perception people have, that tall players are good in the air and shorter ones are not. In reality, the 5ft 10in Falcao is twice the aerial threat that 6ft 7in Crouch is. And Skrtel is a prime example of tall CB's capable of being crap in the air as well.

I don't think he is as good as Crouch either.

Crouch was superb at holding up the ball and although not the best player at heading ball at goal, he was very good at flicking the ball on or knocking the ball down to others. He also linked up well with his teammates.

The biggest problems for me are:

1) He has not been anything ebtter in the air than what Kuyt could be.

2) He doesn't have the pace, vision or intelligence to play with Suarez and get the best out of him. The amount of times Suarez makes a run or tries a one / two and Carroll hasn't seen the run by Suarez or had the vision / talent to make the pass has been concerning.

That's without mentioning the fact he doesn't really have a strikers instinct at snuffing out chances and gambling in the box.

He cost £35 million and he has to be compared to our other leading strikers the last 20 years - Rush, Fowler, Collymore, Owen and Torres. For me he isn't a patch on those players.

Don't care about the drinking issue, don't care about how hard he does or doesn't work, I am just not impressed with him as a player.

Andy is what? 22-23, still many years ahead of him. He needs to develop sides of his game still, which he will do under Kenny.

Oh, and Crouch was no great player, he had one or two good seasons, let it go to his head and has ended up at Stoke.

He was a squad player at best when he was here, and when Rafa told him the truth he got upset and left to be a superstar, at Pompey.

You only have to look at how he performed at Spurs, 2 league goals last season wasn't it? To see what his level was.

Andy Carroll is going to be devastating in the future and that is why we have bought him.

Crouch did score two cracking volleys though and I liked him, but he turned into a tit with after that robot celebration.

In 13 years of professional football Peter Crouch has had 9 clubs (spurs twice), 3 loan spells, and won four honours - Football League First Division champions 2003–04 whilst on loan at Norwich, FA Cup and Community Shield with us, and the 2011 Vodacom challenge (pre-season tournament in South Africa).

I hope Andy is aspiring to a more successful career than Crouch, and should surely be judged much farther down the line in comparison to 'Crouchy'.

Guest ShoePiss
I don't think he is as good as Crouch either.

Crouch was superb at holding up the ball and although not the best player at heading ball at goal, he was very good at flicking the ball on or knocking the ball down to others. He also linked up well with his teammates.

The biggest problems for me are:

1) He has not been anything ebtter in the air than what Kuyt could be.

2) He doesn't have the pace, vision or intelligence to play with Suarez and get the best out of him. The amount of times Suarez makes a run or tries a one / two and Carroll hasn't seen the run by Suarez or had the vision / talent to make the pass has been concerning.

That's without mentioning the fact he doesn't really have a strikers instinct at snuffing out chances and gambling in the box.

He cost £35 million and he has to be compared to our other leading strikers the last 20 years - Rush, Fowler, Collymore, Owen and Torres. For me he isn't a patch on those players.

Don't care about the drinking issue, don't care about how hard he does or doesn't work, I am just not impressed with him as a player.

The best players have already proved it by the time they're Carroll's age. Rush, Fowler, Owen and Torres were all considered the best in Europe before or at his age. He's never going to be anything like them. I don't think there's any point comparing him to that elite group. I just hope he turns out to be half as good as them.

He hasn't done well for us but I think he's a far better player than we have seen in an LFC shirt. He's been injured, then when played we hoofed it to him from the half way line. We then dropped him and finally played him in right midfield.

I think we should judge him when fit, used properly and after a run of consecutive starts.

Yeah I don't think he's fully fit, still looks very slow and laboured when reacting to a pass or giving chase. Hopefully we'll see the best of him in 10-15 more games.

He's got a great left foot.

But how many times has he even had a shot at goal from the deck in recent games?

Now, that could be down to the sort of service he's getting, all aerial prods towards him, or it could be that he himself is to blame for not attempting to bring the ball down and turn.

Either way, it's scary how little he shoots, considering he's a striker. Compare it to the number of times Suarez will attempt a shot on goal each game. I'd much prefer Carroll to get his boot behind our free kicks, rather than for Suarez to try another curler. Let's see how many of the wall remain happy to stand up straight when Carroll breaks some ribs with that left boot.

I mentioned it on the Spurs thread the other day. One of the most frustrating things I've seen is once we've got the ball into a wide position he's coming short looking for the pass rather than making a move into the box to get on the end of something.

We then have to play the ball to him - which he'll then lose as his touch and control seems to be much worse than Kuyts - or we whack a cross in that sails over the 5'8" Suarez. Pointless.

I seem to remember a story from last season about how surprised our staff was when they found out that Caroll had a lack of upper body strength. I guess we have put the lad on the weights, and boom - there went his speed and agilty.

This is always a danger when you put footballers on weight programs.

• Upvote 1

He excelled in the Championship fro Newcastle, and seemed to bring that with him into the EPL. It's simple - he got on the end of crosses, by playing as a spearhead through the middle. It is a cliche, but he's a typical English style CF.

Whose game we are trying to change. Without much success!

One of the most overpriced transfers in history.

No, it is quite clearly the most overpriced transfer in history, without question.

Carroll is fucking dog shit.

Disgusting waste of resources from Kenny & that french gimp.

Owners must be pretty pissed off after the infestation we have seen of players that can only be seen as wank puppets bought for a kings ransom.

No, it is quite clearly the most overpriced transfer in history, without question.

Owners must be pretty pissed off after the infestation we have seen of players that can only be seen as wank puppets bought for a kings ransom.

We need more of these posts!

Well thought out, considered and not in anyway designed to wind people up, I just wish the rest of you would follow this fine example!

Wrong on so many levels.