You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I won't generalise here - i'll speak personally. I worshipped Torres, he became one of the best strikers on the planet whilst wearing a Liverpool shirt, and singing his name on the Kop and watching him score goals for fun filled me with happiness i haven't felt since God did his thing here. Now the past 6 months have been tough, i'd pretty much accepted Torres would leave but the reality of it happening and his timing have been much harder to take than i had imagined. Getting the best deal for the club is the important thing here, and spending nearly all of that money on Andy Carroll, for me, maybe a little hasty. We're replacing the best in the business with a guy who at 22 is still being labelled massive potential. Its a risk, and whilst i support Kenny's and the club's decision - i can't help but think we're being taken advantage of here. Carroll is a very good player - but is he £35m good? Im not so sure. Its not about "never being fucking happy" but not wanting the club to be rushed into making a decision that may not hold the value for money that we would like it to be. Ofcourse Torres is the one to blame here but i don't think there's a lot wrong but being optimistic and cautious.

I agree the price is too high, but that is mainly down to the position we have been put in by Torres. We would not need to sign anyone, let alone Carroll for an over inflated price if it wasn't for him

shite we had to pay 35million he is no where near worth that. but thanks to the new chelsea rentboy our options where fairly limited hence we got shafted on the price he has huge potienal and as one poster siad we would complain when we wouldnt pay the price well now we have,first step as part of the rebuilding onwards and upwards.

Have any of you seen Newcastle this season? The way they use Caroll is completely different from how you play......to get the best out of him you have to change your playing style

Hoofball? Or Royball as we called it. We've only just got out of playing that style. No thanks.

Hoofball? Or Royball as we called it. We've only just got out of playing that style. No thanks.

We don't need to lump it up to him, we just need to cross the ball more and employ wing play rather than more keep it central as we tend to.

Having no wingers will hamper this of course.

We don't need to lump it up to him, we just need to cross the ball more and employ wing play rather than more keep it central as we tend to.

Having no wingers will hamper this of course.

Suspect we're going to be asking Kelly and Johnson to get forward.

If we get Adam, I guess Gerrard could move out to the right, his crossing would be deadly with carroll.

I like him. Can play with both feet, not slow hes strong and good in the air. I reckon will do well.

We all know we have overpaid but if we rate him and want him its better than buying a few average players like we have in years gone by.

Just hope can keep his head and doesnt go into town too much!!

I agree the price is too high, but that is mainly down to the position we have been put in by Torres. We would not need to sign anyone, let alone Carroll for an over inflated price if it wasn't for him

Like I've said elsewhere -- we have the option of NOT BIDDING for Carroll. This season can already be written off, It doesn't make any difference finishing 10th without and 6th with Carroll.

We got a gift -- the bid for Torres was above what most would have expected. It should have been used wisely but we instead shifted it to Newcastle and looking desperate for it.

The bottom line is: We've paid the price of an establish international superstar for only a POTENTIAL product. That's not business acumen. That's not competency. That's fucking desperation. It's madness and it's incredibly stupid.

There -- I said it.

(BTW, there is nothing saying "Sky generation" than getting excited because we broke the club's transfer record for the sake of it).

Suspect we're going to be asking Kelly and Johnson to get forward.

If we get Adam, I guess Gerrard could move out to the right, his crossing would be deadly with carroll.

Adam's corners and free kicks with his heading ability could be lethal too.

I'd be surprised to see Gerrard out wide though.

It's an outrageous price but that's what you pay for one of the most high profile english attacking talents. Delighted about today to be honest tinged with a bit of sadness. Overall we've gone all out to replace an oustanding striker with hopefully three quality additions to our team. We've spread the responsibility of scoring across the team rather than reliant on one outstanding individual.

We've also put down a real marker of intent even if a completely mad one. Just loving this personally!

Guest davelfc
Like I've said elsewhere -- we have the option of NOT BIDDING for Carroll. This season can already be written off, It doesn't make any difference finishing 10th without and 6th with Carroll.

We got a gift -- the bid for Torres was above what most would have expected. It should have been used wisely but we instead shifted it to Newcastle and looking desperate for it.

The bottom line is: We've paid the price of an establish international superstar for only a POTENTIAL product. That's not business acumen. That's not competency. That's fucking desperation. It's madness and it's incredibly stupid.

There -- I said it.

(BTW, there is nothing saying "Sky generation" than getting excited because we broke the club's transfer record for the sake of it).

What a gloomy disturbed shit world you live in. I hope you refuse to cheer any of the goals that this POTENTIAL product scores.

It's an outrageous price but that's what you pay for one of the most high profile english attacking talents. Delighted about today to be honest tinged with a bit of sadness. Overall we've gone all out to replace an oustanding striker with hopefully three quality additions to our team. We've spread the responsibility of scoring across the team rather than reliant on one outstanding individual.

We've also put down a real marker of intent even if a completely mad one. Just loving this personally!

Ronaldo - £80m

Ibrahimovic - £56.5m

Kaka - £56m

Torres - £50m

Zidane - £45m

Carroll - £40m

Figo - £37m

Crespo - £35.5m

Villa - £34m

Buffon - £32.6m

Robinho - £32.5m

Vieri - £32m

Shevchenko - £31m

Nedved - £30.7m

Send that list around the world and ask them to spot the odd one out :(

It's a tricky one, really. Because at least four of that list were fucking disasters.