You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The NBA thread

WrongIslander

10 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

The late 80's were still phenomenal. Expansion had a knock on effect in the 90's. 

And the late 70's to early 80's were plagued by guys doing lots of coke. Like the late 90's and early 2000's, off the court stuff really ruined lots of guys. David Thompson, for example. 

To me, you can only say late 80's vs. late 2010's for most talented era. 

Well its all opinions -- the late 80's teams were really just the early-mid 80's teams only older.

The Pistons had the same team in 85 that they did on 89 - the Lakers had the same group for even longer as did the Celtics.

You did make a good point - the teams of that era - Celtics, Lakers, 76'ers, Rockets, Pistons all can lay claim to being some of the greatest in the history of the sport.

I am not sure the Cavaliers or the Heat or the Warriors are in the same conversation.

Obviously Jordans first run Bulls are in that conversation.

9 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Well its all opinions -- the late 80's teams were really just the early-mid 80's teams only older.

The Pistons had the same team in 85 that they did on 89 - the Lakers had the same group for even longer as did the Celtics.

You did make a good point - the teams of that era - Celtics, Lakers, 76'ers, Rockets, Pistons all can lay claim to being some of the greatest in the history of the sport.

I am not sure the Cavaliers or the Heat or the Warriors are in the same conversation.

Obviously Jordans first run Bulls are in that conversation.

Nah, the late 80's were the intersection of the 80's greats and the 90's greats. Bird and his crew, Magic and his crew, Isiah, aging Kareem, aging Moses, combined with the emerging Jordan, Pippen, Barkley, Malone/Stockton, Olajuwon, David Robinson. The talent level was just insane.

And yes, though players just go where they want now and that's how the Warriors were built, the 16-18 teams are probably the best team ever. And generally, nowadays there are so many players in the league who can shoot and score from anywhere on the court, not something that was going on in the 80-90's. Tougher to defend. 

Finally started watching it. Love it.

Also, 3 Stacks, West and Goodrich did the GSW thing before the 3 point line was even a thing.

I mean they didn't have Durant, but they did have Wilt and Baylor giving defences other things to think about.

3 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Was thinking of picking up a nice purple Bryant -24 earlier in the year.

Doubt I'd be wearing it out much, mind.

I don't think you'd suit Purple mate. Can see you in a Hornets top though. 

7 hours ago, Pidge said:

Finally started watching it. Love it.

Also, 3 Stacks, West and Goodrich did the GSW thing before the 3 point line was even a thing.

I mean they didn't have Durant, but they did have Wilt and Baylor giving defences other things to think about.

Yeah, I mean obviously from the 60's to the late 70's there were guys with 3 point range. Nowhere close to the amount of pure shooters in the league now and no team from those eras shooting wise come close to comparing to teams now. 

Just watched the ‘30 for 30’ about the Detroit Pistons “Bad Boys” team which coincided with the Jordan era. It’s not a bad film at all. Kid Rock narrating it is annoying to begin with but you forget about it after a while. Well worth a watch for anyone who’s like me and enjoyed The Last Dance without having any real interest in basketball. 

I see that ESPN have done another film about Rodman, who obviously featured for both of those teams. I’ll probably give that a watch too and then go back to sneering at US sports from afar. 

6 hours ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Just watched the ‘30 for 30’ about the Detroit Pistons “Bad Boys” team which coincided with the Jordan era. It’s not a bad film at all. Kid Rock narrating it is annoying to begin with but you forget about it after a while. Well worth a watch for anyone who’s like me and enjoyed The Last Dance without having any real interest in basketball. 

I see that ESPN have done another film about Rodman, who obviously featured for both of those teams. I’ll probably give that a watch too and then go back to sneering at US sports from afar. 

Saw it a while ago on BT sport. 

The 30 for 30 documentaries do be excellent, and that one didn't disappoint. 

They certainly didn't paint a good picture of that team in the "last dance". But you don't win two championships without being extremely good, along with being as rough as they where. 

19 hours ago, Captain Turdseye said:

They've also got a multi-part(5 or 6 episodes) look at the late 80s rivalry between the Lakers and the Celtics, with considerable focus on Magic Johnson and Larry Bird. Not as good as the Last Dance, but a pretty good watch.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Scooby Dudek said:

Been trying to find an excuse to post these for years;

A nicer person you will never meet;

image.png

He still likes excessively large basketball related stuff;

image.png

In that second picture it looks like you taking a picture of you. 

On 23/05/2020 at 14:34, Kevin D said:

the late 80s rivalry between the Lakers and the Celtics, with considerable focus on Magic Johnson and Larry Bird. 

Mid 80's, had this discussion a bit earlier in the thread - both of those teams were stronger than the Last Dance Bulls.

Proper big men - Kareem and Parish, amongst the best ever. Bird and Magic on the same level as Jordan. 

Then we are sprinkling in McHale, Cooper, James Worthy, DJ, Wilkes etc...

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...