You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Breaking news on Sky Sports is Blackpool reject Liverpools £4million bid for Charlie.

WoOGii

Can we put to bed this moronic idea that "we don't need any more squad players"? Becayse we fucking do. We just need good ones. Currently our squad players include the likes of Poulsen, Konchesky, Jovanovic and various other useless chumps. We need top class players, but we also need talented players in reserve and as competition. Look at the mancs who have the likes of Park, O'Shea, Hernandez and so on. Adam would give us another option in midfield and can probably pass the ball better than anyone we currently have there except for Gerrard. For £4-5 million he would be a very astute signing.

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ShoePiss
Can we put to bed this moronic idea that "we don't need any more squad players"? Becayse we fucking do. We just need good ones. Currently our squad players include the likes of Poulsen, Konchesky, Jovanovic and various other useless chumps. We need top class players, but we also need talented players in reserve and as competition. Look at the mancs who have the likes of Park, O'Shea, Hernandez and so on. Adam would give us another option in midfield and can probably pass the ball better than anyone we currently have there except for Gerrard. For £4-5 million he would be a very astute signing.

Agree with that

He's looked class whenever I've seen him but then you have to wonder what a 25 year old is doing at Blackpool, having been sold to a Championship club for £500k in his mid-20's after failing to make the grade at Rangers.

Not to be a negative bastard but I recall a fair few on here calling for us to sign Amr Zaki after he enjoyed a similarly impressive start to his Premiership career and gave our defence the runaround at Anfield. He's now playing his football in the Egyptian league at the age of 27.

If we have Cole, Gerrard (AM), Lucas, Raul (CM) and a DM & Spearing, I think that's us sorted. We don't need Adam unless we're getting rid of one or more of those. Are there any whispers about that?

Don't think Lucas is out-and-out defensive enough to hold the Mascherano role in a three-man centre mid - see him evolving into a player with a freer role. So where, exactly, does Charlie Adam fit in if all of the above players stay?

No. And if we get him for four million, decent. If we get him for six, decent: as long as we can afford to reinforce where we need to alongside that. My point is that he is not, as far as I would opine, a crucial player, and if his fee starts interfering with more important areas we need to strengthen, we'd be better off focussing on those than him.

Not that I'm suggesting we're doing the opposite. Just chucking my 2p in, for what it's worth.

Agreed. I think we'll end up getting him for about 5-6m. His contract situation helps us.

Adam can play pass and move better than Meireles, certainly in the short term as Meireles has been woefully short of form these last few weeks (goal aside).

What i find interesting is that this indicates Suarez will be playing on one of the flanks as it would be Gerrard and Adam centre and that midfield needs someone to hold for them.

Suarez, Young and Adam adds goals, pace and quality to the midfield and we would keep the ball alot better

Will Adam want to be a squad player... if indeed that's the role he's being considered for? He's captain at Blackpool, and was vital to them so I just want to know if he'd want to come here and sit on the bench. They rejected an offer of £4M so what is he worth to us?

Would certainly give us options, options that we need and a good one at that. We lost Gerrard for 3 games and i include myself in saying i cannot wait for him to come back. When he got sent off, first reaction shit were going to be thin in the centre. Yes we need quality players like your Suarez's and Hazards and i for one hope we go get suarez this transfer window but if someone offered me Adam right now for 6 million, i would take it without a doubt.

Lets see what he can do for us, he is 24. Yes right now he plays for Blackpool and he is a risk, but he has certainly outshone some of our players this season. Give him a chance, he could fail miserably but he could also step up to the plate and being every penny worth 6 million or whatever we offer him. its 6 million i would be prepared to take a shot at.

Also Barrett reckons were going back in for him, which sounds as if 5 million was a tester in the water to gauge how close we are to Blackpool's value of him.

Just my opinion like.

Edited by redsfan

think he is a decent player but nothing to get excited about. him and warnock on loan are not going to get top teams to nervous we need a lot better quality if we want to get back up there challenging look at the teams in for adam. villa birmingham for fuck,s sake is that the level where going to remain at sorry not good enough.

Funny. You said that Konchesky might be better than Finnan. Either you wouldn't know class if it kicked you in the balls or have a scat fetish.

Don't remember ever saying that Konchesky "might be better than Finnan". I'll admit that Konchesky turned out worse than I thought he would be but I never wanted us to sign him. And what does that have to do with signing Charlie Adam anyway?

Thanks be to fuck this place didn't exist in the 80's..imagine the outcry then.

AHHHHHHH Steve McMahon..Steve Staunton..Kenny has lost the plot

Peter Beardsley ,sure he's a manc reject .John fuckin Barnes ,sure he's shit for England..How about having a bit of faith in the manager and his ability to tell a player from shite.I know its a concept we're unused to ,but those people over the age of 30 should surely be able to recall the feeling

I am over 30 and therefore see the irony of naming Steve Staunton there.

My earlier point is that undeniably he is having a decent run. If I were to hear that Blackpool outbid us when they bought him from Rangers I'd be happier about this signing as it would mean he is not just a flavour of the month who has just come onto the radar.

The person who said he's the best passer in the league since Alonso needs to calm down.

In situations like this (showing I'm over 30) I'm always reminded of Alan McInally playing for Villa that one year. He got 20 odd goals and everyone was saying he was unplayable. He went to Bayern for big money. The next year he was in their reserves.

There are other "one season wonders" I could name.

He looks "alright". But the unreserved gushing appraisal by some people is baffling.

think he is a decent player but nothing to get excited about. him and warnock on loan are not going to get top teams to nervous we need a lot better quality if we want to get back up there challenging look at the teams in for adam. villa birmingham for fuck,s sake is that the level where going to remain at sorry not good enough.

Within the time its took you to post you seemed to grow increasingly angry... At the start he is "a decent player" and by the end I'm worried you might kill someone...

mate i just think are we ever going to up our game in the transfer market. i would like to see us competing for players who are going to make us sit up and take notice. charlie adam is not that type of signing that inspires that say,s that if we sign him he will proably be offloaded in about 18months to fulham for 2million.so what.s the point.

How many of you have watched Blackpool this season? Apart from the games against us I mean. I have watched them on four more occasions. In all games I've watched(including our games) Charlie Adam has completely dominated the midfield. I think he's close to player of the season so far in the Premier League, and tbh I'm a bit surprised none of the other big clubs are having a look.

He's obviously got a great left foot (as several have mentioned), what's more important imo is his desire to have the ball and his composure with it (again, many have mentioned Xabi, he brings that calmness to his side as well). He looks to be pretty intelligent with his use of the ball as well. I was hugely impressed with him after our first meeting with them, and slightly shocked at his age (thought he looked 30+, both in appearance and the way he moved the ball around).

Rafa wanted Gareth Barry to play on the left side of midfield, I think Charlie Adam is a better version of him. He's a bit quicker, has a greater passing range and is just as influential as Barry. I wouldn't say we should break the bank for him, but I think he's not only better than Lucas/Meirelles, but more importantly he's exactly the type of player we need. Our possession stats plummeted after we lost Xabi, and neither Lucas, Gerrard or Meirelles are confident enough on the ball for me to play the playmaker role in the middle of the park. Adam will drop off (not too deep) and receive the ball from the defenders/Pepe even if he's pressured, just like Xabi used to. That is key to get some play going via the midfield. There have obviously been improvements in playing style since Kenny arrived, but I still don't trust any of our midfielders enough with the ball. Gerrard is dynamic and probably one of the most versatile and complete players the world has ever seen, but he's still not able to dictate the pace of the game (which is something Adam can do). Gerrard seldom shows for the ball with his back to the opposition goal, which is something the best midfield playmakers always do. Whenever Raul gets the ball, I always worry he's going to get nudged off it, same with Lucas (although that side of his game is probably the most improved the last year or so). Adam is very hard to get off the ball, and he also plays with a "swagger" that only the best/most confident players do. He's also able to go past players and with the right training regime I think he could become even quicker too. The last point is my only worry with him. He looks like he's a bit heavy built, and I won't be surprised if he gets a few niggling injuries in the latter part of the season. Like Xabi, he's also inviting a few late challenges the way he holds onto the ball.

While I don't want this to look like I think Adam is the second coming, I will be very pleased if we can aquire him this window. I think he would transform the way we play, and he would surprise more than a fair few fans. Anything under 10 milion is acceptable imo, and even if I think Holloway is a loon, he has a point regarding the price for Bent vs Adam (contract situation makes it a bit different though).

If, and that's a pretty big one, we could line up like this I'd be well pleased:

------------------Reina------------------

Kelly-------Carra-----Agger---------Aurelio

-------Gerrard----Lucas-----Adam-------

Kuyt----------Torres-------------Suarez

Since it looks like we're not prioritising a winger this window, 4-3-3 formation seems the best way to play. I know Kuyt is rapidly losing the trust of a lot of our fans, but I still think he can do a good job for us. It's vital that we have players that can pressure the opposition, and with that frontline we have both speed and hard work. I think we could avoid a lot of the problems we have faced this season if our attackers pressure the opposition higher up the pitch. Reina can then use his tremendous sweeper skills to a greater effect than he's been able to so far this season.