You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool, Local history

Mike D

Double header. Put them together and you have wooden pig enclosure...

Everton comes from a word meaning either “pig enclosure” or “Eofor’s enclosure”, from the Old English word “eofor” for a domestic pig or the first name “Eofor”.

This area means “wooden enclosure”, from the Old English “Wald” and “Tun” and becoming Walton by 1305.

I wonder how long it would take security to get onto you if you used a small boat to get onto the island on the Mersey side. It'd make for an interesting visit.

Can be that difficult.

Those cottages where families once lived have now been demolished. Some older buildings remain on the island outside Essar’s fences, with one unused building overlooking the canal bearing the marks of vandals who have snuck across the water.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 09/02/2016 at 13:59, Mook said:

Anybody on here go to any gigs or boxing at Liverpool Stadium, back in the 60/70s? I noticed Led Zeppelin played there in '71 and have been a bit fascinated by it since...

f0afc5d40e37896e54e9ff73a5af72a5.jpg

Yes quite a few, it was a purpose built stadium for boxing, I think it was nicknamed the graveyard of champions due to some losing their titles there. 

I saw a few bands there, Thin Lizzy but missed loads as I was just getting in to different music and a few years to young so missed out on the likes of Little Feat, The Doobie Bros, I think the first mentioned was the support act so a great night I expect. Zappa, Beefheart and loads played there. 

No

• Upvote 2

Never went to a concert there but went to a wrestling Friday night while drunk and annoyed the little old ladies by pissing ourselves at their antics.

Also went a couple of times to the boxing , including Noel Quarless v Horace Notice for the Briitish heavyweight title in the mid-80s. Was quite an occasion with Frank Bruno and Gary Mason there as they  were stablemates of Notice.

Vaguely remember the Thin Lizzy gig  easytoslip mentioned was infamous as a young lady was raped on the premises during it.

1 hour ago, sir roger said:

Never went to a concert there but went to a wrestling Friday night while drunk and annoyed the little old ladies by pissing ourselves at their antics.

Also went a couple of times to the boxing , including Noel Quarless v Horace Notice for the Briitish heavyweight title in the mid-80s. Was quite an occasion with Frank Bruno and Gary Mason there as they  were stablemates of Notice.

Vaguely remember the Thin Lizzy gig  easytoslip mentioned was infamous as a young lady was raped on the premises during it.

Yes that's right, I remember that now. 

1 hour ago, sir roger said:

I remember my Nan watching the wrestling on TV on a Saturday afternoon. Bearing in mind she was in her eighties the soundtrack went along the lines of:

- kill him

- smash his fucking face in

- kick him in the bollocks

- kill him

Rinse and repeat.

• Upvote 4

58 minutes ago, tokyojoe said:

I remember my Nan watching the wrestling on TV on a Saturday afternoon. Bearing in mind she was in her eighties the soundtrack went along the lines of:

- kill him

- kill him

Blue Rinse and repeat.

Fixed that for you.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Creator Supreme said:

My old fella used to go the stadium for the boxing in the 50's and 60's. Can't remember the names he said he saw, but there was a few big time fighters in amongst them!

John Conteh,being a local lad,had one of his first professional fights there. There were a few British Championship title fights there too,maybe even a world title or two?

2 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

John Conteh,being a local lad,had one of his first professional fights there. There were a few British Championship title fights there too,maybe even a world title or two?

Conteh defended his World Title there, Len Hutchins? I remember going to the weigh in at the Empire then back to Ma Egertons, there where some names there including Shankly, Terry Spinks, Jerry Quarry was working for some US TV Network I think, all a bit vague as I was only about 15. 

It's a pity they couldn't keep the facade as a reminder of the Boxers that fought there over the years, the rest of it was wooden so I wouldn't of thought that could be preserved but then again if the Beatles had walked passed it once they would of done something. 

2 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I think he said he saw a few world title fights, not sure I'll ask next time I speak to him.

20 hours ago, tokyojoe said:

- kill him

- kill him

Rinse and repeat.

I see her Finishing School set her up well.

• 2 weeks later...

Was still living in fairly similar housing ( no wartime rubble around) off Belmont Road in Anfield until 1970 when we were CPO'd and moved to Walton. No bathroom,  outside privy and my uncle and to be auntie living in our parlour with a baby as her mum had thrown her out for getting pregnant at 16.

Getting a bit Four Yorkshiremen so will stop there.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Was still living in fairly similar housing ( no wartime rubble around) off Belmont Road in Anfield until 1970 when we were CPO'd and moved to Walton. No bathroom,  outside privy and my uncle and to be auntie living in our parlour with a baby as her mum had thrown her out for getting pregnant at 16.

Getting a bit Four Yorkshiremen so will stop there.

We moved to Runcorn because they were knocking down our streets in Toxteth. Our old street is still there as they rebuilt it after the riots in the 80s but its not anything like it was. Whole generations of families left never to return to the streets they grew up on for generations.

• Upvote 1