You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What your saying is totally right.

This is what surprised me when it was announced it was going to be done in two parts.

When it was first mentioned about making the film,Jackson said it would be extremely hard to make as there is not a awful lot to use in the book.

This is why I am dreading this when it comes out.

It s imo going to be totally spoiled by added parts to the story.

But surely you realise how much more important Jackson is, compared with this mere conduit fellow Tolkien?

I suspect - and I could be wrong here, but I'm going out on a limb - that Unrighteous is not a fan of the LOTR films, the Hobbit films, or Peter Jackson's oscar-winning approach to filmmaking here.

Ah well. They're getting made, and made into three, which for fans of the books and of the film adaptations, is superb news. I wouldn't trust any other director to take this task on. He lovingly made the LOTR films and I think he will have done the same here.

I can understand - to an extent - where you're coming from mate with the missing characters and convoluted plot lines etc etc but I feel they were made with great care and lovingly crafted. I was worried when the announcement was made way back in 1998 that they would be making the trilogy that they would balls it all up but i was astounded by the results. Easily my favourite films of all time.

Nobody will spoil this for me!

I suspect - and I could be wrong here, but I'm going out on a limb - that Unrighteous is not a fan of the LOTR films, the Hobbit films, or Peter Jackson's oscar-winning approach to filmmaking here.

I was worried when the announcement was made way back in 1998 that they would be making the trilogy that they would balls it all up but i was astounded by the results. Easily my favourite films of all time.

Nobody will spoil this for me!

And no one wants to spoil it for you, Red. This is an internet opinion forum, often mis-informed and pre-judicial and disingenuous and snide and smarmy. Isn't that what we love about it? I certainly do.

But to leave Bombadil out of the LOTR filmic trilogy, very very good as Jackson is, for me is not true enough to Tolkien's Lord of the Rings.

12 hours of film and possibly the most whimsical character in 20-th centrury literature, Bombadil, misses the cut? No, sorry. I can forgive, but will never let anyone forget.

And no one wants to spoil it for you, Red. This is an internet opinion forum, often mis-informed and pre-judicial and disingenuous and snide and smarmy. Isn't that what we love about it? I certainly do.

But to leave Bombadil out of the LOTR filmic trilogy, very very good as Jackson is, for me is not true enough to Tolkien's Lord of the Rings.

12 hours of film and possibly the most whimsical character in 20-th centrury literature, Bombadil, misses the cut? No, sorry. I can forgive, but will never let anyone forget.

Come on Skaro, only hippies and communists like Tom Bombadil. Which one are you?

His bit is boring and adds nothing to the story. I reckon I read the Bombadil bits the first couple of times I read Lord of the Rings but most of the other twelvty million times I skip it. Fair play to Jackson for cutting it out.

The worst part about the Jackson versions was the Aragorn/Arwen love story. Badly done and tedious.

Come on Skaro, only hippies and communists like Tom Bombadil. Which one are you?

His bit is boring and adds nothing to the story. I reckon I read the Bombadil bits the first couple of times I read Lord of the Rings but most of the other twelvty million times I skip it. Fair play to Jackson for cutting it out.

The worst part about the Jackson versions was the Aragorn/Arwen love story. Badly done and tedious.

I'm absolutely, positively neither, Jose. Perhaps that's why I liked him so much.

Fuck me, son, at this rate, you and I will be at it like Hank Moody and Coro at The Celtic Club. :whistle:

This third part they are making is a bit of a mystery.

At a guess it might be The Quest of Erebor that might form the basis of part 3.

It was originally part of the Fellowship of the Ring but was dropped because of space apparently in the book.

It got released by Tolkiens son in Unreleased Tales.

I'm absolutely, positively neither, Jose. Perhaps that's why I liked him so much.

Fuck me, son, at this rate, you and I will be at it like Hank Moody and Coro at The Celtic Club. :whistle:

Actually I am probably pretty close to a hippy and commie so you might be right there. Or at least I was in my youth (no chance of that now with a mortgage and two kids). Only Tories and Squares like Tom Bombadil!

You're right Skaro mate, this what makes this place interesting!

I never missed Bombadil to be honest. When quizzed, Jackson said he had to focus the story on the main character to prevent the film being too long. He called FOTR "Frodo-centric", and focused on his journey. He said "what does Bombadil contribute to the progression of the ring?"

I have to agree - they've set the films up to show how terrible and terrifying the ring is, and here's one character who it has zero effect on. It kind of undercuts the peril somewhat. In a book, it's fine, but on screen it diverts from the main thread of the film.

There is a nice little homage to old Tom though, in the Two Towers, when Treebeard sings a song of his (to stop Old Man Willow devouring the hobbits in Fellowship) to stop the same thing happening to Merry and Pippin.

There are lots of things omitted though, like the fact that in the book the ring has no effect on Faramir whatsoever, and the Scouring of the Shire. Actually, it's this that I was most unhappy with, if I had to be picky; the fact that this excellent ending was left out. I appreciate that this would have made ROTK about three years long but it would have been great to see Wormtongue taken down by Merry.

I don't think anybody could have done a better job though. This is an awesome adaptation. Hopefully the Hobbit films will follow suit.

Looking forward to it despite me thinking it's the shittest cast since hollyoaks, apart from the odd one or two.

I recall feeling the same way about the LOTR trilogy when they announced it as well.

"Elijah Wood? Isn't he about three years old??"

"Dominic Monaghan - that dopey kid from Hetty Wainthropp??"

I was quite underwhelmed, with the exceptions of Tyler, Lee and of course, McKellen. Thank fuck it all turned out well in the end though. I hope this is the same for the Hobbit. Slightly alarmed by the inclusion of Baker and Nesbitt like, but still. We can but hope!

Films, great films have been made with far less material than what Jackson is working with. Think of all those films made from short stories of Steven King.

It is an adaptation of the novel, so there is, if trusted some degree of artistic liscence allowed. He did such a good job on the LOTR that nobody can begrudge him this. And I couldn't agree more on Tom Bombadil, didn't seem too integral to the books in my opinion. Probably more a sign of how they were originally published.

Like what? Shawshank? The Mist? both a couple of hundred pages long.

And made one film each.

I was thinking more of Stand by Me to be honest, but I think they are novella's more than 'novels'. I'm not a fan of Steven King so I couldn't say, I just remember reading about the film.

As I said, great films have been made with far less material than what Jackson is working with. 2001 was originally based on a short story as well.

Comparing The Mist with Tolkien's Middle Earth?

Brilliant.

Eh?

How did you reach that conclusion?

I just suggested that short stories have led to great films, Silverlining referenced the Mist!

• 1 month later...

Hobbit Trilogy titles and release dates

by Hobbit Movie News on September 3, 2012

The final film in Peter Jackson’s trilogy adaptation of The Hobbit, by J.R.R. Tolkien, now titled “The Hobbit: There and Back Again,” will be released worldwide on July 18, 2014.

The title of the second installment in the franchise will be “The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug,” and the fill will be released on December 13, 2013. The first film in the trilogy, “The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey,” opens this holiday season, on December 14, 2012. Shot in 3D 48 frames-per-second, the trilogy of films will be released in High Frame Rate (HFR) 3D, other 3D formats, IMAX and 2D.

From Academy Award®-winning director Peter Jackson, the trilogy of films is set in Middle-earth 60 years before “The Lord of the Rings,” which Jackson and his filmmaking team brought to the big screen in the blockbuster trilogy that culminated with the Oscar®-winning “The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King.”

Under Jackson’s direction, all three movies are being shot in digital 3D using the latest camera and stereo technology. Additional filming, as with principal photography, is taking place at Stone Street Studios, Wellington, and on location around New Zealand.

Third film. Absolutely made up. This has truly made my year.

Ditto.

Can anyone help?

My LOTR blu-ray boxset hasn't turned up, I'm out of Back-bacon and my lawnmower has stopped working. Any suggestions?

Get back on twitter moaning about the royal family or whatever you were blathering on about.

Makes me laugh this thread - every time there's an update someone comes clattering in to slag off Jackson / LOTR / The Hobbit etc. If you don't like it don't fucking bother. It's simple really.

"The leaves were long, the grass was green,

The hemlock-umbels tall and fair,

And in the glade a light was seen

Of stars in shadow shimmering.

Tinuviel was dancing there

To music of a pipe unseen,

And light of stars was in her hair,

And in her raiment glimmering.

There Beren came from mountains cold.

And lost he wandered under leaves,

And where the Elven-river rolled

He walked alone and sorrowing.