You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What does Raul Meireles do?

8jordan8

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's absolutely brilliant. Who bought him though?

Roy openly didn't even know where to play him or what his position was (he admitted it in interview and in his tactics!) so who? Kenny scouted him or even Purslow?

Not complaining though, he's absolutely brilliant and his goals are a bonus.

Cost me 50 quid tonight like. Was sitting minding my own business watching the match then he has the audacity to score. Well, that set in events a chain reaction that saw me out of pocket.

Losing was so much cheaper.

I hope I'm brassick next season!

you bet against your own team?

Anyone that could'nt see that Meireles was a good player from early on has poor football knowledge. And the stick he got after the Cup at Old Trafford was over the top aswell. Fair play to Hodgson for that signing aswell, but Kenny has brought the best out of him.

He needed Kenny to guide him, he like many others is being schooled by the master.

Some think they know it all already and choose to leave before they even get past the 'wax on, wax off' stage.

They soon get a swift dose of reality & realise that reality bites! (So does his replacement)

Anyone that could'nt see that Meireles was a good player from early on has poor football knowledge. And the stick he got after the Cup at Old Trafford was over the top aswell. Fair play to Hodgson for that signing aswell, but Kenny has brought the best out of him.

I was disappointed with him at OT because there were a few bottled challenges, and it was Kenny's first game and it was the cup and it was OT. No excuses there.

As others have pointed out he bottles tackles.

But outside of that he has been a revelation. His goal yesterday was brilliant, and his overall contribution in a more fluid front line is excellent.

What does he do? Links up play, gets the ball moving forwards, makes late runs into the box and puts the ball into the net.

And wears girly clothes which are too small for him on nights out.

Top player. Can have an impact on our play for years. And if it was Hodgson who purchased him than it´s the best thing he has done here by a mile.

Ore the only one.

Can not believe how none of the ot´her European big guns got him. He was 27 when he came here. Porto are no minors either, but their league is cack.

It´s the first portuguese player I do like in ages. No acting, no diving, just pure quality. Becoming my favourite player with ease.

Guest davelfc

15 Aug

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson keen to sign Porto's Raul Meireles - report - Goal.com

29 Aug

BBC Sport - Football - Liverpool sign midfielder Raul Meireles from Porto

"Liverpool are a historic club and I am happy for the move. Roy Hodgson was key because he worked so hard to get me," Meireles told the Liverpool website.

I think the bit about his tackling (0r lack thereof) is/ was a valid concern.

But his overall game was always there, the only thing that has surprised me has been the goals. Never really expected such a glut from him, but obvioulsy delighted.

But I'm still not 100% sure where exactly he's playing? Obviously Woy moved him wide a few times, and when he did play centrally there were occasions were he didn't really know what to to do and where to run.

Clearly Kenny is playing him more advanced, but is he playing just behind the striker or what? Is he more advanced than Stevie?

Because there were occasions yesterday where it looked like Stevie and Ming were playing as a CM partnership, but just one that played 20 yards further up the pitch then normal!