You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Post-apocalyptic and dystopian fiction

Section_31

The Handmaids Tale by Margaret Atwood is an excellent read about the subjucation of women to being little more than breeders in a nighmare vision of the near future.

It must be nearly 20 years since I read it but I I loved it at the time.

Aye, that's quality. I love Atwood's 'speculative fiction': 'Oryx and Crake' and 'Year Of The Flood' are brilliantly imagined future visions that are gut-churningly scary as you can see exactly how modern America- shorn of ethical and moral boundaries-could so easily end up.

Oryx and Crake is probably the best book I've ever read. I'd happily put this forward for the next GF Book thingy..

We is an excellent read as are Fahrenheit 451 and Brave New World.

Maybe not quite what you were asking for but Man in the High Castle by Philip K Dick is one of my favourite novels, it's set in an alternative reality where Germany and Japan won WW2 and split the world between them. Ridley Scott is making a four part drama adaptation for the BBC in the near future, which should be ace on toast.

loved that book, I also cant wait for the BBC drama hope they dont fuck it up.

I love this genre, too. As far as books go, I really like Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham and The Death of Grass by John Christopher, as well as World War Z and the Zombie Survival Guide. Loads of films along these lines too. Mosty recently, I really liked The Book of Eli.

I love that type of game, may have to go and get that. I assume you have played Half Life 2?

Nah I'm not into shooters Jim, Fallout is more of an RPG with first person shooter elements. Fallout 3 and Deus Ex must be consumed by your good self at all costs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

lol

"Swan Song", by Robert McCammon

Very much like "The Stand" and though it's been a couple of decades since I read it, I recall enjoying it quite a bit. Big bastard though, so if you're looking for something a little more compact, go with "The Road".

Maybe go with "The Road" anyway, as it's as good or better than anything I've ever read in this area.

1984's meant to be pretty good... Brave New World too.

Slightly less obvious but still shocking they haven't been mentioned are Phillip K Dick and J.G. Ballard.

'Flow My Tears' and 'The Drowned World' would be my respective recommendations. Also the 'A Scanner Darkly' film is ace, even if it does star Keanu Reeves (It has Robery Downey Jr, Woody Harrelson and Richard Linklater balancing him out).