You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

And probably will, if they don't fix this soon.

Sacking Roy Hodgson is not enough for Liverpool's Spanish stars | Football | The Guardian

Gets better and better. I didnt even want to think about this right now, thanks Guardian

That was pretty inevitable though - That there's a glimmer of hope an astute manager and decent funding could see them willing to sacrifice yet another season without top European football is something of a pleasant surprise.

• Replies 777
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really hope that I'm wrong, but I have the feeling that one or more people involved here are dead against giving Kenny the job. Who specifically will be involved in this decision, I wonder?

If they are dead against it, I'm sure they will good enough reasons for it.

I want Kenny but if that doesn't happen, I want the best possible person to manage our club and I want Kenny to remain with the club in a good role.

And how exactly they can "fix" it? Listen kids, I've been wanting him out for a while but I fully understand why its taking time.

If they can't get who they want and want to appoint Kenny and if Kenny is away until Monday, what choice do they have other than to keep Roy until Monday? Sack him now and go to Sunday's game without a manager? For what its worth its better to have Roy as manager rather than going there without one.

Give them time to do what they want to do. Most of us want things done yesterday, which is what has led to all this shit in the first place. The new guys are taking their time and are obviously keeping things close to their chest - I for one find that refreshing as that is what we call Liverpool Way.

"They're dealing with it, trust them" runs a bit thin after a while, he should have gone ages ago.

FSG can fuck off if they give the muppet any more time. I'm starting to think they are sticking with him so they dont have to pay any compo out in the hope he quits.

Which he isn't going to do, whether hes too arrogant or whether he just wants the money? I don't know. But hes not going to walk.

And probably will, if they don't fix this soon.

Sacking Roy Hodgson is not enough for Liverpool's Spanish stars | Football | The Guardian

Gets better and better. I didnt even want to think about this right now, thanks Guardian

Sacking Roy Hodgson is not enough for Liverpool's Spanish stars

• Torres and Reina want high-profile manager

• Money must also be available for transfers

Sid Lowe in Madrid and Andy Hunter

guardian.co.uk, Thursday 6 January 2011 21.28 GMT

Roy Hodgson is facing pressure from all sides as he struggles to stay in charge at Anfield. Photograph: Press Association Images

Liverpool's new owners have been warned that even the sacking of Roy Hodgson might not be enough to stave off an exodus of their key players, including Fernando Torres and Pepe Reina. Although the manager's departure appears inevitable, sources close to the two Spanish players say that, although they would not leave during the winter transfer window, frustration at the club's inertia means they will go in the summer if they are not convinced by the new manager and handed reassurances of major investment.

The choice currently before Liverpool's owners, John W Henry and Tom Werner, is a huge one which will bring with it significant consequences. For some senior players sacking Hodgson is a step in the right direction. But while Hodgson continuing at the club would guarantee summer departures, his exit does not necessarily mean that Liverpool will be able to keep hold of their most important assets. With Liverpool immersed in a sale process last summer moves were blocked for Steven Gerrard, Torres and Reina; this year, it will be harder to prevent their departure. Liverpool quoted prices so prohibitive as to be a "not for sale" sign. At the same time reassurances were made regarding ambitions. Hopes had been pinned on new ownership and massive investment. As yet only half of that proposition has come to pass.

The arrival of a recognised, high-achieving coach will be vital if they are not to push for a transfer. Didier Deschamps, who was interviewed for the job last summer and remains a favoured candidate, appeared to rule himself out yesterday. The Marseille coach said: "When I talk about being the coach of Marseille in the new stadium, I mean it. It is an idea that pleases me. Now, 2014 is a very long way away in my profession. But I have said people should understand I am not a tramp. I proved it last year. I could have left."

Key Anfield squad members have been dismayed by the lack of activity from the new owners since they took over in mid‑October. The lack of activity in this transfer window only increases that impression, with the club currently considering an offer for the Tottenham defender Vedran Corluka. Players feel that promises have been broken before and will not endure another season of underachievement and uncertainty.

Possible destinations are already being studied in case they should be required, but no decisions have been taken. Those clubs that tabled bids for Gerrard, Torres, Reina and Dirk Kuyt last summer are not necessarily expected to return 12 months on. The players are not expected to consider a move to Manchester United.

Following Liverpool's 3-1 defeat against Blackburn Hodgson refused to discuss a possible sacking, saying: "I am not prepared to talk about my future. At this moment I am depressed enough with the performance and the result. I am not here to talk about that. I have no comments to make and I don't intend to answer any questions on the subject." The club's director of communications then brought the press conference to a close and there was no indication from the owners today that they intend to change manager before Sunday's FA Cup third-round tie at Manchester United.

But Hodgson's days at Anfield are numbered. Fans have railed against him – he was met with graffiti at the club's training ground yesterday – and pressure builds to replace him. Progress is stalled by the absence of a chief executive at Anfield and the fact that the New England Sports Ventures group that owns the club continues to be based in the United States.

There has also been little opportunity over the Christmas period properly to discuss the club's next move. Kenny Dalglish, who currently occupies an ambassadorial role, made it clear that he wanted the manager's job in the summer before the former regime employed Hodgson – and he is still keen to take charge. There is, however, a reluctance to make a definitive decision at this stage, which only increases the uncertainty. With the situation being monitored closely by key players, it is a decision that must be made carefully

Sid Lowe has good contacts in Spain too. Great, and this is just the start of it. The longer this rumbles on, the worse it will get.

If they are dead against it, I'm sure they will good enough reasons for it. I want Kenny but if that doesn't happen, I want the best possible person to manage our club and I want Kenny to remain with the club in a good role.

I'd be interested to hear them, because I don't see any reasons good enough personally.

"They're dealing with it, trust them" runs a bit thin after a while, he should have gone ages ago.

Should have, yes. Absolutely. You know that, I know that - because we have been following football for years. We know what Roy has achieved in his career.

But you can surely see their point of view? The manager and players had the ownership cloud above them until they took over so they probably thought it was fair to give him some time. While they learned more about him and football in general. They can of course go and talk to several football people and I'm sure they have good contacts by now, but as always it takes time to work out who they can "trust". They have had Camolli ofcourse but he has only been there for few weeks.

They probably thought we will have a half decent season. I'm sure they never thought they would be forced to deal with this issue so soon. Summer would have been a good time but they are forced to act NOW. And as anyone would say, they wouldn't want to face the same situation in a few months time so they are probably taking their time to get the best possible advice and eventually, their man.

I'd be interested to hear them, because I don't see any reasons good enough personally.

Why is that? Is it because Kenny is already with the club?

If he is not employed with the club currently, would you be asking for "reasons" for not considering him? Did you ask for reasons for not considering him when Rafa was appointed? He wasn't even in the frame then?!?

But you can surely see their point of view?

I did for a while, battered by Everton, fine its their first game as owners, outclassed by Wigan and Stoke, fine, Hodgson brought himself a few dodgy games with the wins in the weeks before, Tottenham, another defeat but ok we played alright he can stay, Newcastle uh oh, mega alarm bells. And now its getting worse, we're getting dominated and outclassed by the leagues shittest teams with one of those being at home to a team who hadnt won away all season. How long can this keep going on for?

I didnt agree with giving him time but fine, could see their point, he'd had time now though and needs removing before he takes us into another division.

I did for a while, battered by Everton, fine its their first game as owners, outclassed by Wigan and Stoke, fine, Hodgson brought himself a few dodgy games with the wins in the weeks before, Tottenham, another defeat but ok we played alright he can stay, Newcastle uh oh, mega alarm bells. And now its getting worse, we're getting dominated and outclassed by the leagues shittest teams with one of those being at home to a team who hadnt won away all season. How long can this keep going on for?

I didnt agree with giving him time but fine, could see their point, he'd had time now though and needs removing before he takes us into another division.

Agree 100%

Absolutely spot on.

Absolutely. I agree with every word you have said above.

Getting rid of him can be done in a minute I'm sure but perhaps they are thinking about who to get from a long term perspective?

All I'm saying is, they have only owned us for a few weeks, lets give them benefit of doubt. Lets see what they do in the next week or so before throwing our toys out of the pram.

Key Anfield squad members have been dismayed by the lack of activity from the new owners since they took over in mid‑October. The lack of activity in this transfer window only increases that impression, with the club currently considering an offer for the Tottenham defender Vedran Corluka. Players feel that promises have been broken before and will not endure another season of underachievement and uncertainty.

UGH!

FSG can fuck off if they give the muppet any more time. I'm starting to think they are sticking with him so they dont have to pay any compo out in the hope he quits.

Did I not read that they have just bought a rounders player on a 9-figure contract recently.

They also got us on the cheap to my mind , so if £4m or so is making them fudge a major issue like this it is a tad worrying.

I am hoping that there is a definite plan & that they need time to put it into place & are accepting a lame-duck manager for a short time rather than getting into the 'caretaker' scenario.