You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

When you put your arms around an attackers waist then you're asking for trouble. Equally, when you slide in to a tackle in the box with your arm in the air, you're also asking for trouble.

The referee got it wrong today, I don't understand why people are happy to give him a pass for not being consistent.

Swings and roundabouts. Stephan Henchoz 2001 FA Cup final.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If that was a pen then the ref's better start blowing for one at every corner in every league game when every defender man-handles every attacker every time.

Shite decision but we should've made sure it didnt matter.

Tbf the cameras picked up on both Carra and Skrtel completely manhandling their respective opposition players on one of their setpieces (the one where Skrtel managed to get his head on the ball before Shawcross). We need a defensive lynchpin thats about 7 ft tall if we're gonna eradicate the pressure lesser sides put us under with their set-pieces. It's complete mayhem in our box now, as noone is going for the ball.... If only we had a big, tall defender...

When you put your arms around an attackers waist then you're asking for trouble. Equally, when you slide in to a tackle in the box with your arm in the air, you're also asking for trouble.

The referee got it wrong today, I don't understand why people are happy to give him a pass for not being consistent.

If anything, the handball issue is one of the areas where I feel refs are pretty consistent. When a ball is played into the arms of a defender from a very short distance (like our two appeals today), they generally don't give a penalty, even if the defender has his arms outstretched.

I tend to watch quite a bit of the other clubs' games aswell, so I'm not just basing it on our games. Can you mention a couple of similar situations (ie 1-2 yards from ball to hand) like today that have resulted in penalties, Brownie?

What Kenny had to say after the game....

"We would like to be respectful towards referees. I think I have been respectful to referees, but more importantly than being respectful to referees in their campaign it's about having respect for my football club, Liverpool Football Club.

"If I feel they (Liverpool FC) are suffering in any shape of form then maybe I need to go down the same route as some other people go and see if we can get some benefit from that. I'll speak to the owners first and see what they say because the last thing I want is for*my behaviour to infringe on the club's success in any way, shape or form.

The penalty, Carra's been fouled first, so it should not have been given.

Yep, after that though, it's a clear pen. We could easily have been punished for his other holding offense on the set piece I mentioned earlier too, so I don't hold too many grudges after this one. The Richardson call in our opening game was the only real stinker from the refs so far imo, the other calls are justifiable. It's our players (and manager) that are the main reason for us being 5 pts behind already, not so much the refs.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Either bent or inept. Probably the latter. They're fucking inconsistent, whatever way you look at it. They're deciding the outcomes of games with their actions. We've been on the receiving end of bad decisions a lot this season so far. Sunderland should have had a red, Andy Carroll should have had another couple of goals and we should have had at least one pen today.

First pen appeal for handball in the first half. Stonewall. Stoke pen never a pen. Upson handball looked stonewall in the ground but he had his arms down and would have been very harsh to give.

Refs aren't bent or corrupt. They're just generally shite.

It just goes to show how we all see it differently, even after watching it several times. From my view the first I agree was a stonewaller, the Carragher one was touch and go but maybe harsh (Carra himself was a bit sheepish on MOTD) the last one was never a pen. Opinions.

It just goes to show how we all see it differently, even after watching it several times. From my view the first I agree was a stonewaller, the Carragher one was touch and go but maybe harsh (Carra himself was a bit sheepish on MOTD) the last one was never a pen. Opinions.

Haha yeah he was a bit sheepish Paul you're right mate but I think if you give that pen you would give around 5-6 pens a game to be honest.

When I seen Upsons on TV I couldn't believe it compared to seeing it in the ground. Everything happens in the PL at breakneck speed at times and refs are human and will make mistakes but seeing the Everton Villa game highlights how could the pen on Baines have not been given when the ref was in an excellent position? Why wasn't Baines booked for diving if the ref didn't give a pen? It's these inconsistencies which are difficult to grasp.

Haha yeah he was a bit sheepish Paul you're right mate but I think if you give that pen you would give around 5-6 pens a game to be honest.

When I seen Upsons on TV I couldn't believe it compared to seeing it in the ground. Everything happens in the PL at breakneck speed at times and refs are human and will make mistakes but seeing the Everton Villa game highlights how could the pen on Baines have not been given when the ref was in an excellent position? Why wasn't Baines booked for diving if the ref didn't give a pen? It's these inconsistencies which are difficult to grasp.

Oh I agree John, don't get me wrong, some of the refereeing is poor, I just can't be doing with the one's who blame all of their teams woes on referees. I know you're not one by the way. The better you are the less referees become a problem I find.

Oh I agree John, don't get me wrong, some of the refereeing is poor, I just can't be doing with the one's who blame all of their teams woes on referees. I know you're not one by the way. The better you are the less referees become a problem I find.

Totally agree mate. Today we had 60 plus minutes to rectify the situation after going 1-0 down whether the pen was harsh or not and we couldn't. Not for the lack of trying of course but more a lack of quality at critical stages of the game.

Tbf the cameras picked up on both Carra and Skrtel completely manhandling their respective opposition players on one of their setpieces (the one where Skrtel managed to get his head on the ball before Shawcross).

I know. That's my point. Defenders get away with manhandling attackers at every set piece and cross into the box in every game so if that's a pen today then they all should be pens. They aren't though and neither was that today imo.

Plenty of it going on in the Stoke box too, in particular shawcross on Carroll.

Guest Gucci_Ledge

This what i'm saying about Reina. I stand by it. Great player, but he's over rated by us. he never saves a pen any more. He saved one from Rooney a year ago and the rebound went in, other than that i don't think he's saved one in 4 or 5 years. Neg away.

This what i'm saying about Reina. I stand by it. Great player, but he's over rated by us. he never saves a pen any more. He saved one from Rooney a year ago and the rebound went in, other than that i don't think he's saved one in 4 or 5 years. Neg away.

Good Grief i have heard it all now :wallbutt:

Guest Gucci_Ledge

Fact is a penalty is as good as a goal when we get one given. This shouldn't be the case. You see fucking loads saved these days. Starting to annoy me now. And he's one of my favourite players in general. He's gone backwards though.

Certainly works for the Mancs :wallbutt: